Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Football

Panther Football Discuss all things related to Panther football.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #176
pantherball

Default Re: Klieman to Minnesota?

I don't know if I agree with everyone's take that we have the ship sinking.
1: Maybe Farley deserves some credit for finding great young coaches. When we lose coaches to the FBS level, that is going to happen. That means that we hired a great young coach that helped our program. Scott Frost, Jerry Montgomery, ect.. That is part of the business. If we lost all of those coaches to rival conference teams this year, then we have an issue! I know everyone is going to say he is hard to work for, I don't disagree with that. However he has brought in some terrific coaches.
2: How can't we as Panther fans be excited for the football season next year. we have the QB that everybody wanted. We had a lot of young players make an impact and they got valuable experience. Talent wise doesn't the football team compare a little to how the basketball is set up? If we want it better, maybe we all jump on board and support it. The next couple of years are going to be fun to be a Panther fan!
pantherball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #177
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherball View Post
1: Maybe Farley deserves some credit for finding great young coaches. When we lose coaches to the FBS level, that is going to happen. That means that we hired a great young coach that helped our program. Scott Frost, Jerry Montgomery, ect.. That is part of the business. If we lost all of those coaches to rival conference teams this year, then we have an issue! I know everyone is going to say he is hard to work for, I don't disagree with that. However he has brought in some terrific coaches.
2: How can't we as Panther fans be excited for the football season next year. we have the QB that everybody wanted. We had a lot of young players make an impact and they got valuable experience. Talent wise doesn't the football team compare a little to how the basketball is set up? If we want it better, maybe we all jump on board and support it. The next couple of years are going to be fun to be a Panther fan!
Yes!! A post with common sense as the center point. Good job!
northwest iowa panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #178
Blue42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherball View Post
Agree we have a ton of young talent in the program. Lots of speed at the skill positions, a good looking QB who can sling it all over the dome, and a lot of pieces from a good D coming back.

Heard the scout team D line looked great last year. Lots of young talent there. Reth should be back on DL. Sweeney back on OL.

If MF can get the coaching staff organized we can be very good this year.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #179
MnPantherFan

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." George Santayana

Yes, all the programs problems from the last few years are all going to disappear. I hope you are correct
MnPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #180
northwest iowa panther

Rick Hartzell was a guest on OPR Friday. He was asked to comment on legislation proposed for ISU and SUI to share their athletic funds with UNI. He said it was unrealistic for those schools to be legislated into giving UNI money. He said it is unrealistic to think that UNI will ever be able to generate funds compared to the other two. He thought it may be better that legislation be proposed that would require ISU and SUI to play home and home with UNI in men's basketball and the Hawkeyes to continue playing the Panthers in football. ISU has contracts with UNI for the near future in football.

He was very adamant that I-AA football (yes he used that designation) was a worthwhile endeavor but was a huge weight carried by schools in the MVC. He went on to say that football would never be able to pay for itself with UNI falling farther behind in the conference as NDSU, SDSU and USD are instituting payments for cost of education.

He continued on about how UNI in the past could recruit the Midwest and offer borderline I-A talented kids an opportunity to play where now those same kids would have offers from the Dakota schools. Also in the past UNI was able to give partials to build roster depth but now those offers would be full rides because of the other schools after the same talent.

Rick is a former student, athlete and athletic director,optimistic but realistic as he lumped us in with Mo. State, Ill. State, Ind. State and Western Ill. in the up hill battle to maintain quality in their football teams. He was complimentary of the PSC volunteers and the UNI athletic staff in their efforts to raise money. What I got from the discussion is appreciate what we have as it will be harder and harder to maintain because of money.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #181
in_the_stands

I thought cost of attendance payments were going to happen for football, has that changed?
in_the_stands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #182
northwest iowa panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_stands View Post
I thought cost of attendance payments were going to happen for football, has that changed?
Yes to be on the same page as the Dakotas we will have to. Just another thing we have to fund with little funds to begin with.

Recently I had lunch with Iowa U. supporters, a couple were letterwinners for the Hawks. They think the COA is the worst can of worms ever devised by the power five.

In our case what are we gonna do if we can afford $1,000 and NDSU says they are giving $4,000 per scholarship football player?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #183
Mudrafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
Yes to be on the same page as the Dakotas we will have to. Just another thing we have to fund with little funds to begin with.

Recently I had lunch with Iowa U. supporters, a couple were letterwinners for the Hawks. They think the COA is the worst can of worms ever devised by the power five.

In our case what are we gonna do if we can afford $1,000 and NDSU says they are giving $4,000 per scholarship football player?
Not that hard to understand. Not do it
Mudrafan is offline   Reply With Quote