WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State would leave MVC for AAC if invited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wichita State would leave MVC for AAC if invited

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
    I have a feeling that everyone is saying no (Belmont/Valpo etc).

I selfishly hope if they don't add one of those it's UMKC so I have a UNI game in my backyard..
    Why would they say yes? The Valley is a one-bid league, why move to a competitive one-bid league when you can dominate your own?

Comment

If it gets to the point that we are adding UMKC we should probably just stick with nine.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIGrainer View Post
        If it gets to the point that we are adding UMKC we should probably just stick with nine.
        Agreed, I know for a fact that we could schedule two teams with a better RPI than they would have. Shoot, we could probably work it out to have those two games both at home.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting we really add them. I just want a game in my backyard.

Comment

I also really don't want a 9 team league. We have a hard time scheduling already, especially getting home games
            Last edited by DownGoesKansas; 04-17-2017, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Honestly, Why would Valpo, Belmont, or Murray be interested in joining the MVC? Is the MVC any better than their current situation when there's no Creighton or Wichita State?

Is it time for major change in the Valley? Is a 5-4 majority for the public schools (UNI, SIU, ISU, ISU, MSU) enough to boot the private schools and add other public football schools? Time for the MVC & MVFC to be one?
              "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                Agreed, I know for a fact that we could schedule two teams with a better RPI than they would have. Shoot, we could probably work it out to have those two games both at home.
                I don't disagree with you, but I think we could have a scheduling issue.

I'm guessing that the reason we left a non-con game on the table last year was because we couldn't find a suitable opponent that had an opening that lined up with an opening on our own schedule. If the MVC goes to 9 teams, then that probably means that conference play is pushed back a week to either the middle of the first week of January or the first Saturday in January. I'm guessing that most other conferences start their play right around when the MVC has in the past (right around December 28th or so). Will we really be able to pick up two non-con opponents to play us during the half-week before new years eve and the half week after new years day? Keep in mind, the foregoing could be an issue that exists for just one year, or if the MVC sticks with 9 for a longer duration of time, it could be an annual issue.

Comment

There has been some rumblings about the Horizon league being a little unstable, as noted by the coaching carousel and number of player transfers --that could prompt a switch from Valpo (or maybe a dark horse like Wright State). I poked around on a Murray State fan board and saw many of them had the same questions; would the MVC have a higher enough profile to make the slightly higher travel costs and issues with changes to the football program worth it? They also blasted Belmont a little; they respect the program but apparently there is still just a very small fan base in the Nashville community that hasn't grown even with their success.

Comment

I also really don't want a 9 team league. We have a hard time scheduling already, especially getting home games
                    I agree that is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                      Honestly, Why would Valpo, Belmont, or Murray be interested in joining the MVC? Is the MVC any better than their current situation when there's no Creighton or Wichita State?

Is it time for major change in the Valley? Is a 5-4 majority for the public schools (UNI, SIU, ISU, ISU, MSU) enough to boot the private schools and add other public football schools? Time for the MVC & MVFC to be one?
                      If the league could find a way to convince ALL THREE of them to come, we might have something. A 12-team Valley with UNI, Belmont, Murray, Valpo, Illinois State, Bradley, Missouri State and SIU has the potential to be a multi-bid league if 50-60% of those programs are clicking on a given year. Those are all programs that have the potential to be top 100 type programs, and sometimes top 50. That is probably a pipe dream though.

The key, to me, is to find a way that the league is still differentiated from the other mid-major midwest leagues. If we can't do that, it frankly doesn't matter who we add. But, boy, UMKC sure feels like waiving the white flag. They really don't bring anything to the table. If that is really the best we can do then folks are absolutely right that there is now no difference between the MVC and the Horizon, Summit or OVC.
                      Last edited by UNIGrainer; 04-17-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

The answer to your first question is definitely no. In fact, by jumping to the Valley, their roads get significantly harder and will be a helluva lot harder to sell to recruits after they come in and don't dominate like they do in the OVC/Horizon/Summit where they are among the higher budgeted teams.

As to your second question, I've been asking that since Creighton left. If you read MVC fans, the privates mainly only care about hoops (as they should since they don't fund football) and look down at the MVFC. If you keep adding mixed interest teams, the conference is going to continue in this loop IMO. I'd prefer a unified conference myself.
                        Sycamore Pride | NBA Basketball Forum

Comment

A document from Murray Stat suggests they could be voting on the MVC tomorrow. Pure speculation but the agenda for the special meeting includes a topic on intercollegiate athletics

Comment

A document from Murray Stat suggests they could be voting on the MVC tomorrow. Pure speculation but the agenda for the special meeting includes a topic on intercollegiate athletics
                            According to Murray State's beat guy, Murray State wants to join. He's got a whole string of tweets (https://twitter.com/dreamarlowe85) talking about it, this is his wrap up tweet:

Meeting adjourned. Murray State is open for an invitation, and the Board of Regents wants to hear about it moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                              According to Murray State's beat guy, Murray State wants to join. He's got a whole string of tweets (https://twitter.com/dreamarlowe85) talking about it, this is his wrap up tweet:

Meeting adjourned. Murray State is open for an invitation, and the Board of Regents wants to hear about it moving forward.
                              Guessing the Valley asked Murray State to complete this step prior to getting an official invitation. The Valley doesn't want to get any public "No thank you's" when it starts extending invites. They're getting beat up enough about WSU leaving.

Also don't think Murray's President would publicly go in front of the regents to have this discussion based on the hope that Murray might possibly get an invite. He knows it's coming if he can clear the BOR approval and $1M to buyout the OVC.

Also wondering if they've already done something similar with Valpo but we're likely not going to see/hear about that since they're private.

Guessing we're going to start hearing some news on invites soon.
                              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Murray has done what they needed to do. I'm assuming Valpo has done what they needed to do.

I think the only suspense at this point is if there's a 3rd invitation that's flying under the radar somewhere. 11 seems clunky to me, especially on the women's side, but certainly doable.

This has gone SO much better than the last search did.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X