Follow us on Twitter

Go Back   Panther Nation > Specific Sports Topic Forums > Panther Men's Basketball

Panther Men's Basketball Discuss all things related to Panther men's basketball.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #421
UNIGrainer

Default Re: Wichita State would leave MVC for AAC if invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
Fixed it for you.
Haha, truth.
UNIGrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #422
UNIGrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
I tend to agree with this. The only two caveats that I would throw out there are that Indiana State and Western Illinois could decide that the OVC is the best place for them and there doesn't appear to be a ton of interest in a 20 game league schedule from the league's coaches, they' prefer to stay at 18 and have two single plays from what I've heard.

I think the rest of your scenario is very, very good.
I haven't heard that about Indy State and WIU. Would definitely make sense for the cash strapped WIU to stop travelling to Denver, Tulsa, Fargo, Brookings, and Vermillion (and Grand Forks in the future too) in all of their sports. Honestly, though, would the OVC want them? I suppose they play football so they could fill in for the loss of MSU, but they are a geographical outlier and their school is not in good financial shape.

Did not know that about Indy State. I think the OVC would definitely take them in a heartbeat. Is that just speculation on your part or are there actual rumblings?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #423
UNIGrainer

If there was one MVC member I would think would have a wandering eye at this point I would think MSU. They are geographical outliers now more than ever with WSU and CU out. Unless we add another more westerly team. I would think the SunBelt or Southland might look pretty decent to them.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #424
claw

Sun Belt wants east. Look at their recent additions. Coastal Carolina, App State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State. Look at the members they let go - NMSU and Idaho.

The Southland also has about a billion teams and isn't really in a spot to add another. MSU has NO WHERE to go.

If there's an MVC looking, ISUb is the most likely. In terms of travel, funding level, budgets, etc... the OVC is a much better fit for them than the MVC.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #425
ubuntuCAT

If Murray and Valpo are legitimately on the table how dumb is the Valley for not adding them when Creighton left or even last few years when WSU was still in the conference. Not saying it would have kept WSU in the Valley but certainly wouldn't have brought more quality teams into the conference.

If we would have added both when Creighton left we could have decided to stay at 10 when WSU left or maybe say a Belmont is more interested since Valpo and Murray are already in the conference.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #426
BCPanther
PN Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIGrainer View Post
I haven't heard that about Indy State and WIU. Would definitely make sense for the cash strapped WIU to stop travelling to Denver, Tulsa, Fargo, Brookings, and Vermillion (and Grand Forks in the future too) in all of their sports. Honestly, though, would the OVC want them? I suppose they play football so they could fill in for the loss of MSU, but they are a geographical outlier and their school is not in good financial shape.

Did not know that about Indy State. I think the OVC would definitely take them in a heartbeat. Is that just speculation on your part or are there actual rumblings?
Indiana State has a real split right now. Their boosters are pushing a move to the OVC because they feel they can be competitive from Day One and their economic challenges would go away overnight. The administration is hooked on staying in the Valley because that's where Larry Bird played and they got to a national title game. They're struggling with the fact that that is pushing 40 years ago.

They bus everywhere in the Valley except CF, DSM and Springfield. Up until two years ago they flew commercial. Can you imagine trying to get from Terre Haute to Waterloo commercially?

If they go OVC, everything is a bus trip. There's no flying football to Youngstown or the Dakotas and they walk in with a top half budget.

Western is all conjecture from me. They're in a tough spot geographically and it gets worse if the Alphabet Soup Indiana schools go to the Horizon. The OVC is really the only option they'd have if they really wanted to be in a 'local' conference. SEMO, EIU, SIUE aren't that far away.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #427
UNIGrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPanther View Post
Indiana State has a real split right now. Their boosters are pushing a move to the OVC because they feel they can be competitive from Day One and their economic challenges would go away overnight. The administration is hooked on staying in the Valley because that's where Larry Bird played and they got to a national title game. They're struggling with the fact that that is pushing 40 years ago.

They bus everywhere in the Valley except CF, DSM and Springfield. Up until two years ago they flew commercial. Can you imagine trying to get from Terre Haute to Waterloo commercially?

If they go OVC, everything is a bus trip. There's no flying football to Youngstown or the Dakotas and they walk in with a top half budget.

Western is all conjecture from me. They're in a tough spot geographically and it gets worse if the Alphabet Soup Indiana schools go to the Horizon. The OVC is really the only option they'd have if they really wanted to be in a 'local' conference. SEMO, EIU, SIUE aren't that far away.
That all makes sense. I think if the OVC was an option WIU would be gone in a second. They are only in the Summit because they are stuck there.