WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

You're right PTTB. It's highly doubtful we'll start two Haldemans next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
      Tbh with our tendency to get the whole familly, I wouldnt be surprised if we brought in a secret Haldeman brother.

Comment

Yeah, no way we can win with a starting backcourt of 6", 6'1", 6'2"

Ali Farohkmanesh, Johnny Moran, Kwadzo Ahelegbe

For two straight years. What a horrible stretch.
        Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
        Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
        UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post

Haha! Yes, that's pretty much a guarantee!

What I meant is Lohaus and Haldeman and McCloud.
          The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by catsize View Post

So you're saying that smallish height range is ideal? I'll take a couple of 6'2 guys if they're clones of Kwazdo. Ideally, one would come off the bench in favor of starting a taller player.

Comment

Johnny was a fantastic defender and Kwadzo was a tank. Not comparable to our guys now.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                So you're saying that smallish height range is ideal? I'll take a couple of 6'2 guys if they're clones of Kwazdo. Ideally, one would come off the bench in favor of starting a taller player.
                I don't think saying it has worked before means it is ideal.
                To avoid confusion - my username is baseball (Cy Young award) related, NOT for the Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by CyCarp View Post
                  I don't think saying it has worked before means it is ideal.
                  Exactly. Didn't say it was ideal, just that we have made it work in the past. Ideal would be three McDonald's All-Americans. Since that is not realistic, let's look at what has worked for us, what we have and go from there. I think we'll be fine moving forward.
                  Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                  Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                  UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

Exactly. Didn't say it was ideal, just that we have made it work in the past. Ideal would be three McDonald's All-Americans. Since that is not realistic, let's look at what has worked for us, what we have and go from there. I think we'll be fine moving forward.
                    It worked because Kwazdo had playmaking ability. That, plus he and Moran were both tough, solid defenders. Juwan has the potential to get there, and the time to do so. The playmaker is key though...you HAVE to have guys who can take people off the dribble and get to the rim. Set shots don't cut it without someone who can create. Neither do set plays.

Comment

I think we have similar guys right now compared to guys in the past. What we don't have is a consistent guy in the post like Adam Koch or Seth Tuttle to make everyone else look really good. Koch had Kwazdo that could hit that pretty pull up jumper. Tuttle had Wes that could pull up for the jump shot and drive. Having a point guard along with a post that can create consistently makes life a lot easier for a three point shooter.

Moran, Sonnen, Ali, Bo, Jesperson are all some of my favorite players. If you add these guys to last years team without Koch or Tuttle I'm not sure they look that much better compared to what we have now. You can probably argue that those types of players also made Tuttle and Koch the quality players that they were as well.

Next years recruiting class (2018) will be huge. If we add two high quality players to the group we have now, we could be really good. At some point with our programs reputation/history, we have to land a high quality recruit that we beat out other programs for.

Comment

To me the key to next year is how our "role" players improve over the summer. I think that we have a good idea on what we can expect out of Bennett and Klint, we hope for better consistency but I think we know what we will get out of them, and I would argue we know what we will get out of Wyatt next year as well, as well as Ted.

To me if Spencer, Juwan, Isaiah, Hunter, Luke, and Justin take big steps forward this team has potential to be the 2nd best team in the league, the only one of these who had both a year in the program and a full summer of development was Spencer and he was the most consistent of the group, other than a horrid shooting streak he was pretty good.

Hopefully we get a knock down shooter in McDermott, and possibly something out of Tanner Lohaus, I know that there have been comparisons that he could turn into more of a big 3/stretch 4 like Baer from Iowa which would be nice.

Last two thoughts, I would really like to see Phyfe be able to redshirt if possible, he was great in high school, but the jump in competition level in the post is bigger than in the back court, and I like him as a 5th year senior.

Finally I think it will be interesting to see how many are in our rotation and who makes that rotation. To me there are a lot of guys who are at the same level (maybe up to 12 guys) but Jake has never played that many so it will be interesting to see what the rotation is next year.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                          To me if Spencer, Juwan, Isaiah, Hunter, Luke, and Justin take big steps forward this team has potential to be the 2nd best team in the league, the only one of these who had both a year in the program and a full summer of development was Spencer and he was the most consistent of the group, other than a horrid shooting streak he was pretty good.
                          Depending on how fast WSU gets out, we could be the best team in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIhoops View Post
                            Next years recruiting class (2018) will be huge. If we add two high quality players to the group we have now, we could be really good. At some point with our programs reputation/history, we have to land a high quality recruit that we beat out other programs for.
                            I should probably keep this in the 2018 recruit thread, especially since this thread is titled "Next Year," but whatever. Let's assume the ideal scenario, which is we get AJ, which is still not an 100% thing, but I feel is fairly likely, and let's assume that we can bring in both Pickford and Bruninga, which is far less likely. This also assumes no transfers in or out, which... frankly won't happen. Someone will leave/come here. But since we don't know who, here's what we would ideally look like in two years:

PG: Juwan (Jr), Haldeman (R-Jr) and AJ (Fr)
                            SG: Wyatt (R-Sr), Adam McDermott (R-Jr), Isaiah (Jr), Pickford (So)
                            SF: Tanner (R-So)
                            PF: Luke (R-Jr), Phyfe (So), and Bruninga (R-Fr (because wherever he goes, he'll redshirt))
                            C: Dahl (R-Jr)

That's 12 scholarships, out of 13, which means we get one more, hooray for math. That lineup right there is already pretty sexy. Safe to assume that Juwan and Isaiah will find their shot within two years, and the only question marks to me are Tanner and Dahl, Tanner for obvious reasons, and Dahl mainly because there had to be a reason he didn't play much last year. Those two aside, it's already a pretty decent line up, and there's still one more person we could get. And based on that line up, we're looking real good on the guard front, we would probably use those last two scholarships to get some bigs.

Now, ideally, we get Joey Hauser, but "ideally we get Joey Hauser" is a phrase that's been uttered by 351 schools, and I get the feeling that he's not gonna come here. I also think that Race Thompson is a little too far out of our grasp too, what with his dad playing for Minnesota back in the day, but it's possible that he could come with us.

An interesting option is Shae Mitchell. Shae is from Minnesota, 6'6", and a 3.5 star recruit. What's odd, however, is that he only has three offers: Drexel, Drake, and UNI. A 3.5 star, and we're the best option out of three. Something seems off there, and I'm not sure what. Meanwhile, there's always Blake Brinkmeyer, a player who makes everyone say: "Huh?" An undersized player who rarely sees floor on his varsity team, while playing on the sophomore team the year before. Yet we and North Dakota have both offered him.

The point of all of this is this: I agree with you when you said that 2018 will be big for us, but when I say big, I mean important. 2018, is a direction year for the program. We can bring in the likes of AJ Green and maybe Race Thompson, or we can bring in the likes of Blake Brinkmeyer. We'll see.
                            Last edited by sevelev711; 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

FWIW, Hunter is a senior next year. He won't be here in 2018-19. McDermott will only be a RS-Junior that year too. Haldeman will also be a RS-Junior. UNI has 3 scholarships available in 2018 class (and with your assumption of AJ being one of those, that leaves 2 remaining).
                              The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

where did Haldeman disappear to? He isn't in the discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X