WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailgating Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgating Advice

Planning to come to Cedar Falls for the Drake game. It will be the first time I've ever been to a game in the UNIdome. Please give me some advice about tailgating. How early before gametime? Where are the best spots? I will have my truck and set of tailgate supplies.

Re: Tailgating Advice

Rule is 4 hours before kickoff, but we've showed up at 10am. Where depends on what you are looking for. PSC lots are nice if you are a member, otherwise across from the McLeod is cool. You can go along the fence line or further south by the trees.
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Glass bottles are a no-no. I forget, but no "fires" either?

Comment

We're usually set up by 9:00 in the lot south of the McLeod Center. really nice laid back atmosphere. With that being Iowa-Iowa State weekend, I don't know how full the lots will be.

Come and have a good time!
        #MACtion

Comment

Ah the memories... You can't beat the stretch across Hudson Rd from the quad on the banks of beautiful Panther creek. (south of McLeod). If the port potty situation is as bad as it used to be, you'll appreciate the adjacent woods. Nice crowd too. Barney is easy to spot on that stretch so you can chuck the cigars and bottles. We used to get there early and only occasionally got a lecture.

Wherever you go you'll find great fans and a super-charged atmosphere. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            We're usually set up by 9:00 in the lot south of the McLeod Center. really nice laid back atmosphere. With that being Iowa-Iowa State weekend, I don't know how full the lots will be.

Come and have a good time!

It is the week before the ISU/Iowa game. I'm in my 50s, so I don't want to be in a mostly student lot. I prefer good beer and don't necessarily want to waste it on them, but like the idea of sharing it with others who are truly football fans. We like to spread out some games (giant jenga, ladder golf, bags). I even have a bags game with rules to replicate a football game. And we like to start early.

Any further advice?

Is the lot south of McLeod a donor lot?

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
              Glass bottles are a no-no. I forget, but no "fires" either?

Thanks for the warning about bottles. I could have easy shown up only with bottles.

Are there policies on open containers on sidewalks? I had a friend get a citation for walking on a sidewalk in Iowa City with a beer in a koozie, but never known anyone to have any trouble in Ames.

By fire, do you meet like a fire pit? Grills with flames are okay, aren't they?
              Last edited by UNIdad; 07-27-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I'm in my 50s as well, and the crowd along the creek is family/our age. I wish you'd shown up in my day if you like to share beer!! Bring the good stuff and let the kids bring old swill. I cannot drink canned, it is the only refined taste I have.

Have to laugh over sweating the rules though. I remember Iowa, if its not mandatory its prohibited...

Comment

As long as you aren't doing anything that would warrant a public intox, or something that could hurt you or others you should be fine, most of the uniformed officials are good people that just want to make sure everyone is safe.

Comment

The lot directly south of McLeod is open to all. The one across the street to the west of that is for PSC members not at a high enough level to park west of Dome and McLeod.
                    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdadtobe View Post
                      By fire, do you meet like a fire pit? Grills with flames are okay, aren't they?
                      tailgating policy states that "open fires are prohibited", but whether a charcoal grill is considered "open fire", I dunno. Placing a call to the UNI Public Safety might provide an answer to that (or it might not, depending on who you talk to)

Comment

The lots open 4 hours before kickoff. However, if you arrive 4hours early for some games the idea spots will already have been taken. The popo will drive walk by early, but they've never said a word about being too early.

Open fires are prohibited. However, I've seen multiple contained fires, especially on cold days with no issues.

They also prohibit glass bottles and liquor. However, I've been caught with both in my hands as the popo walked by. Each time they just requested I put it away or hide it. I could continue to drink it, they just don't want it sitting out. So bring plastic cups for your bottled beer.

We always take "walkers" on the way to the dome, finishing them in the plaza (just outside the doors). We've never been talked to about it so I don't believe there are any open container rules being enforced.

The only rule I've ever seen enforced is the no smoking law. We actually had someone join us a few years back whom was fined for smoking. Not cheap. I'd recommend leaving the cigars and cigarettes at home.

We have bounced around a couple times and have found our home... South of the dome is a good sized lot (Dike parking lot). If you keep going South there is a large grass field which is perfect for tailgating. We have plenty of space to spread out. We don't worry about the kid falling on concrete. There are no parking lines to limit our sit-up. Due to the space we don't have to move our stuff every time someone drives by. Panther Creek (wooded area) is available for the men. The only drawback is portapotty availability - it really is a long walk when you need it.

Enjoy the pre-game festivities!
                        Last edited by FOTY; 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I'm not a smoker, and I hate having to breathe in smoky air. So I'm thankful for the anti-smoking laws...... inside of buildings. I think making the entire campus (outdoors) "no smoking" is stupid. The only time you have to deal with second-hand smoke outdoors is if you're within a couple feet of someone (or they intentionally blow smoke on you), otherwise, it's not really an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                            I'm not a smoker, and I hate having to breathe in smoky air. So I'm thankful for the anti-smoking laws...... inside of buildings. I think making the entire campus (outdoors) "no smoking" is stupid. The only time you have to deal with second-hand smoke outdoors is if you're within a couple feet of someone (or they intentionally blow smoke on you), otherwise, it's not really an issue.
                            I disagree, mostly because many smoke just outside the doors and leave cigarette butts all over the ground. Looks awful...surely most smokers can abstain for 3-4 hours..

Comment

last year was first time I went up to north side of McLeod to tailgate, it wasn't bad at all and probably a good place for you uniDADtobe.
                              UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Working...
                              X