WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

I just read that Iowa State is going to open all of their lots to tailgating at 5:00 am for the rest of the season and that you will be able to begin lining up at midnight.

This begs a very important question.

What is the obsession at UNI with the 4 hour rule?

We have FAR less people tailgating and not packed in like crazy. Yet, if we start setting up early, we are guaranteed to have at least one, usually two, UNIcops come by to tell us we can't start drinking until noon.

It's ridiculous, UNI wants to build an atmosphere and yet does everything they can to throw up road blocks!
    #MACtion

Re: Why do we choose to restrict Tailgating?

because most Panther fans are down in Iowa City?

Comment

Originally posted by jnutt View Post
      because most Panther fans are down in Iowa City?
      Oh no you didn't!
      "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

sounds like a good question for Troy's Take... sent it in.
        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Likely a policy to have security/emergency personnel around for liability reasons

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters
          Last edited by Trapped in California; 09-12-2013, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Perhaps its due to other events taking place at the facilities like the Wellness and Recreation Center. But if that were the case why restrict tailgating in the West and South lots?

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              I just read that Iowa State is going to open all of their lots to tailgating at 5:00 am for the rest of the season and that you will be able to begin lining up at midnight.

We have FAR less people tailgating and not packed in like crazy. Yet, if we start setting up early, we are guaranteed to have at least one, usually two, UNIcops come by to tell us we can't start drinking until noon.

It's ridiculous, UNI wants to build an atmosphere and yet does everything they can to throw up road blocks!
              Where did you read that?
              I thought it was only for the Iowa game this weekend. And the reason for that is because the line of cars/RV's waiting to get into the parking lot starts to block traffic on surrounding streets. Some years they have to open the lots at 2-3am because the traffic is too congested.

I don't think they will do this for all home games this year because the line to get in won't be that long. They will probably open at the standard 7am time for the remaining games.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                Where did you read that?
                I thought it was only for the Iowa game this weekend. And the reason for that is because the line of cars/RV's waiting to get into the parking lot starts to block traffic on surrounding streets. Some years they have to open the lots at 2-3am because the traffic is too congested.

I don't think they will do this for all home games this year because the line to get in won't be that long. They will probably open at the standard 7am time for the remaining games.

Tweeted out by one of the Gazette Sports guys. Don't remember which one. Rob Gray?
                #MACtion

Comment

Tweeted out by one of the Gazette Sports guys. Don't remember which one. Rob Gray?
                  Interesting... Although, I still think it's false.

Comment

Makes sense to me--let people move on to state property at 5 a.m. to start drinking. Hopefully after a 2.5 hour game they will sober up before they drive home. Oh, that's right we want to build an atmosphere that will include drunkeness that leads to rowdiness and finally beligerence.

Comment

Never believe anything the Hawkette puts out.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                        Makes sense to me--let people move on to state property at 5 a.m. to start drinking. Hopefully after a 2.5 hour game they will sober up before they drive home. Oh, that's right we want to build an atmosphere that will include drunkeness that leads to rowdiness and finally beligerence.
                        You're right, I'd hate to have a 'belligerent' atmosphere like Montana, Appy, or any other big time atmosphere that has less restrictive tailgating rules.

BTW, the state would bear no liability. They aren't the ones selling the alcohol. In fact, I have been one of the more vocal people on this board against selling alcohol in the Dome and McLeod Center...
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                          Finally somebody is starting to get it!
                          "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

You're right, I'd hate to have a 'belligerent' atmosphere like Montana, Appy, or any other big time atmosphere that has less restrictive tailgating rules.
                            You are not seriously saying that letting people into the parking lots a few hours earlier will create an atmosphere like Montana or Appy, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by MnPantherFan View Post
                              You are not seriously saying that letting people into the parking lots a few hours earlier will create an atmosphere like Montana or Appy, are you?
                              Not saying that, but anything we can do to encourage people to be there and be around the program and to make it an event can only help.

We have to stop throwing up road blocks and giving people reasons to NOT come and be a part of the UNI family.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                              X