WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerry Kill to retire immediately for health reasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jerry Kill to retire immediately for health reasons

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
    A head coaching gig at a middle of the pack BCS school is probably the best job a talented coordinator can get IMO.

No offense to Frost, but the Ohio State/Texas/Michigan type schools are reaching much much higher than a guy of his pedigree. They want big names and are willing to pay for them, which is why you see coaches like Harbaugh and Urban Meyer signing up.
    There are successful coordinators that have gotten better jobs than Minnesota (Stoops & Malzahn are two just off the top of my head...Strong is another). Also, you read only half of what I said. I also said a lot of the issue is timing of the job. They are mentored to the point that they know better than to take the job after high success. They know what to look for before accepting. It is simply not in vogue any more to just jump at the first job that comes to you. This is not only true in football, but even more so in basketball. Smarter decisions are being made as a result. Again, Frost may be holding out for Oregon or who knows...Nebraska might have told him behind the scenes how much experience/success he needs to have as a BCS coordinator before being considered.

Comment

Strong and Malzahn were both head coaches when hired (Strong at Louisville and Malzahn at Ark State).

Stoops made the jump directly from OC/DC to HC, but he was hired 15 years ago. The current college football landscape is completely different than it was in 1999.

And I actually think the timing works to Minnesota's favor. They have a brand new stadium, a ton of young talent, and some recent success. Not the mention the looming contract renewal between ESPN and the BIG which should free up enough cash to pay a new coach whatever they want. Payouts right how are $33MM/year and are expected to jump to $45MM/year by the end of next season.
      Originally posted by TH1974
      This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
        Strong and Malzahn were both head coaches when hired (Strong at Louisville and Malzahn at Ark State).

Stoops made the jump directly from OC/DC to HC, but he was hired 15 years ago. The current college football landscape is completely different than it was in 1999.

And I actually think the timing works to Minnesota's favor. They have a brand new stadium, a ton of young talent, and some recent success. Not the mention the looming contract renewal between ESPN and the BIG which should free up enough cash to pay a new coach whatever they want. Payouts right how are $33MM/year and are expected to jump to $45MM/year by the end of next season.
        Strong to L'ville was the one I was referring to...not Texas. Also, Malzahn was at Ark St for one year, but was a coordinator for several years prior to that where he had long been considered a BCS coaching candidate.

Comment

Guess the answer is ... None of the above:

Fox9:"Interim tag removed, Claeys now Gophers football head coach"

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
          X