WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fall 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall 2008

I know we had this for men basketball on how to get more fans to the game but this is a little different. How can we get more students and older fans to tailgate before the games.

Anyone have any idea????
    Only person in the dome with a PURPLE shirt from 2005 and a red hat on

GAYEST WORD EVER "TOUCHE"
    GAYEST THING TO PUT IN A POST "10 CHARACTERS"

Morons of the month from Waterloo

Re: Fall 2008

Games dont start until like 4 or 5 so people cant say its because the games are to early.

Comment

Are you implying that it was bad last year or that we need to capitalize on the momentum from last year? I know it flucuates but in the regular season games I attended (granted, they were big ones) the tailgating left me very jealous... I could have only dreamed of that type of atmosphere when I went to UNI. During my time at school if you had more than 50 students tailgating it was monumental, save homecoming and even then, it was 1/100th what the homecoming tailgate scene was last year.

My thought is that UNI football has now become an "event", especially for students. For the younger impressionable ones, they might not have even known that last year was an anamoly and just keep carrying on the "tradition" as they know it. So in this case, naivete helps.

I think its a matter of just not being complacent about recent success (in and outside of stadium) and continuing to do the things that people like. Honestly, I don't know what else you can do... good team, free parking, band/cheerleaders/mascot roaming the lots & cheap tickets (free for students) seems like a big enough draw. Just keep that stuff up!

Comment

Originally posted by panther2317
        When I worked at Missouri State, they made a huge effort to have a carnival atmosphere in the parking lots before games. They had local vendors with tents selling tailgating food, live music, contest and inflatable games for the kids. It really did bring a lot of local people out around the football stadium...especially when the weather was nice.
        I know they have done some if not all of this at various times in the past, but a consistent effort is needed for sure.

When I was there we did the local vendor, live music, etc thing and it seemed to be "successful" on a small level. Of course, it became a cost issue... but we also were drawing 60-70% the crowd size comparative to last year too.

Comment

attendance for games is awesome i will never complain about that or the price of everything. The first game of the year was bad because of it being on thursday and i can handle that. I think alot of the student are scared about getting tickets for drinking before the games. What I have noticed as long as you are not causing any harm to anyone to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
            Are you implying that it was bad last year or that we need to capitalize on the momentum from last year? I know it flucuates but in the regular season games I attended (granted, they were big ones) the tailgating left me very jealous... I could have only dreamed of that type of atmosphere when I went to UNI. During my time at school if you had more than 50 students tailgating it was monumental, save homecoming and even then, it was 1/100th what the homecoming tailgate scene was last year.

My thought is that UNI football has now become an "event", especially for students. For the younger impressionable ones, they might not have even known that last year was an anamoly and just keep carrying on the "tradition" as they know it. So in this case, naivete helps.

I think its a matter of just not being complacent about recent success (in and outside of stadium) and continuing to do the things that people like. Honestly, I don't know what else you can do... good team, free parking, band/cheerleaders/mascot roaming the lots & cheap tickets (free for students) seems like a big enough draw. Just keep that stuff up!
            I think he is trying to build off the momentum from last season, and improve the tailgating atmosphere top to bottom. Dustin and I had a blast tailgating last year, and met some awesome people. However, like you said, some games was worse than others.

The cost, as stated, does become an issue. One thing, I don't know how well this would go over but, we could do is raise a ticket by 1 or 2 dollars That would put them at 16 or 17 dollars a pop. That is still really cheap for a football game. With that extra dollar we could put that towards funding for something. Even if we average only 12,000 a game next year, that is 12,000 dollars a week for "entertainment", if you will.

I'm sure there are a bunch of loops that would have to be jumped though to do that, but if something like that would work, that could really help.

Comment

I agree with everything stated here. I think next year will be no different than last. Every single person I talked to (no exaggeration there) had a blast when they came to UNI games to tailgate beforehand. It's a party, and students are a big reason why that happened, but the older people are just as much a part of it.

"Once it starts, it never ends."
              -Eldon Miller

Comment

I am a student and last year for one of the last regular season games there was a bus load of mid aged men and woman from Cresco and we all had a blast together. I probably had the most fun tailgting walking around meeting new people. Thats probably the best thing about it just need to get the word out about it.

Comment

even when i was a freshman almost 5 years ago, there was NO tailgating by students...maybe 10? It is leaps and bounds improved...and id tailgate at UNI over Iowa or ISU any day of the week. We just know how to do it right adn the fun way.
                  Career (3 sport) Coaching Record: 50-3
                  the Future coach of the Depaul Blue Demons

Comment

When I worked at Missouri State, they made a huge effort to have a carnival atmosphere in the parking lots before games. They had local vendors with tents selling tailgating food, live music, contest and inflatable games for the kids. It really did bring a lot of local people out around the football stadium...especially when the weather was nice.

This is what is needed. Winning or not, gameday tailgating needs to be a community event attractive all types of people.

We could learn a few things from MSU and ILSU.

Comment

Very nice, once again, the "How can we get more people to tailgate" discussion.

Bottom line, winning cures all.

Comment

We need the band thing. The atmosphere at Illinois State was great, and they had lost to Drake.
                        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Well we won every game except one this past season and I can guaranty that the lots won't be full for the first home game. I bet the student section isn't full. I bet UNI doesn't sell out the Dome for the first home game next season.

So...is each season a "wait and see" proposition for fans and attendance at football or will we start to build a tradition of filling the Dome every week because we've always been pretty good?
                          Dustin86 and I will be there LONG before opening kick off for our first home game....Heck we are thinking about tripping out to Provo

Comment

Well, I guess that's two people for sure....
                            UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                            iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                              Well, I guess that's two people for sure....
                              There were games where we thought our little crew of people were going to be the only ones out there. Like the UD game. We showed up at 8AM, and not a person was out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X