WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to Iowa State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to Iowa State?

With Missouri to the Big 10 being somewhat of a foregone conclusion (and Nebraska rumored to be considered as well), what happens to the ISUs and KSUs of the Big XII? CU will likely bolt to the Pac 10. Texas will have its own television network (you heard that correctly) and doesn't care what conference it is in because it ultimately doesn't matter (although they won't go to the SEC due to academics or lack thereof). KSU has the advantage that they are (apparently) tied to KU as one cannot join a conference without the other. If that was not the case, KSU would be screwed as they have very little to offer a conference; their academics are brutal and their geographic location isolates them from just about everyone.

ISU has better academics, but they offer very little in terms of athletics. Right now, they aren't being mentioned much at all in conference realignment. Any ideas on where they would go? Perhaps the Big 12 would remain by adding TCU and some other schools, but if three big blocks of the Big 12 leave, it's difficult to see the league remaining intact, especially with Texas assuming even more power than they currently have (is that even possible?). Anyway, thoughts?
    TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Re: What happens to Iowa State?

Go to cyclonefanatic.com and you can read through a library of threads discussing everything between here and the sun having to do with all of this talk. I was starting to get so annoyed by people freaking out about ISU ending up in some slap conference, so I stopped reading them.

Big 12 and Pac 10 needs to work out a TV contract, which is rumored to be in the process.
    I honestly don't think Mizzou or Nebraska are going to the Big 10.
    If we lose one of them, it's rumored that Arkansas wants in the Big 12.
    I don't think TCU gets in the Big 12, because they don't bring anything (we already have the Texas market on lockdown).
    If Colorado leaves to the Pac 10, we go after Utah or BYU.
    There are an infinite number of scenarios that could happen, and leave it for the Big 10 to mess everything up.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Prof View Post
      With Missouri to the Big 10 being somewhat of a foregone conclusion (and Nebraska rumored to be considered as well), what happens to the ISUs and KSUs of the Big XII? CU will likely bolt to the Pac 10. Texas will have its own television network (you heard that correctly) and doesn't care what conference it is in because it ultimately doesn't matter (although they won't go to the SEC due to academics or lack thereof). KSU has the advantage that they are (apparently) tied to KU as one cannot join a conference without the other. If that was not the case, KSU would be screwed as they have very little to offer a conference; their academics are brutal and their geographic location isolates them from just about everyone.

ISU has better academics, but they offer very little in terms of athletics. Right now, they aren't being mentioned much at all in conference realignment. Any ideas on where they would go? Perhaps the Big 12 would remain by adding TCU and some other schools, but if three big blocks of the Big 12 leave, it's difficult to see the league remaining intact, especially with Texas assuming even more power than they currently have (is that even possible?). Anyway, thoughts?
      Actually, you'd be surprised. We are ranked 22 nationally in the director's cup (which measures overall athletic department strength), one spot ahead of Texas.
      My apologies for posting this a bit late, but the final winter standings for the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup were finalized last week.As you probably know already, the Directors' Cup measures overall athletic department strength by awarding points for how schools finish in up to 20 sports (10 men's, 10 women's).

Comment

If the Big XII starts coming apart, I don't see Texas sticking around. They'll be one of the first out the door, IMO.

I don't understand the talk of the Big XII/Pac Ten TV contract. Explain how this would work, and why the Big XII wouldn't just get their own TV Deal.

No one cares about the 'director's cup'.
        UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
          If the Big XII starts coming apart, I don't see Texas sticking around. They'll be one of the first out the door, IMO.

I don't understand the talk of the Big XII/Pac Ten TV contract. Explain how this would work, and why the Big XII wouldn't just get their own TV Deal.

No one cares about the 'director's cup'.
          A Big 12 tv contract would never work out, the population area and tv market just isn't there. That's why the Big 10 has a good network, because of the fanbase and size of cities they're located in.
          If we partner with the Pac 10, we would at least double the market size and and hit 6 of the top 13 media markets. (LA, Dallas, San Fran, Houston, Seattle, and Phoenix.) And if the Pac 10 would add maybe one or two more teams, and combined with the Big 12 tv contract, that would be pretty much every market West of the Mississippi.

Nobody does care about the director's cup, because all people care about is Football and Men's Basketball, but if you want an overall indicator of how strong their "entire" athletic department is, you have to look at the Director's Cup rankings.
          Last edited by cydave; 05-07-2010, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
            Actually, you'd be surprised. We are ranked 22 nationally in the director's cup (which measures overall athletic department strength), one spot ahead of Texas.
            http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...pansion-impact
            In athletics, football and (to a lesser extent) basketball are all that matter. Those sports are then viewed through the lens of adding revenue through television sets. In this sense, ISU doesn't offer as much as many other schools.
            TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Go to cyclonefanatic.com and you can read through a library of threads discussing everything between here and the sun having to do with all of this talk. I was starting to get so annoyed by people freaking out about ISU ending up in some slap conference, so I stopped reading them.

Big 12 and Pac 10 needs to work out a TV contract, which is rumored to be in the process.
              I honestly don't think Mizzou or Nebraska are going to the Big 10.
              If we lose one of them, it's rumored that Arkansas wants in the Big 12.
              I don't think TCU gets in the Big 12, because they don't bring anything (we already have the Texas market on lockdown).
              If Colorado leaves to the Pac 10, we go after Utah or BYU.
              There are an infinite number of scenarios that could happen, and leave it for the Big 10 to mess everything up.
              I've been wrong before, but I've been told by too many people close to the situation that Missouri is as good as gone. Regarding Nebraska, I really have no idea. Arkansas will NOT go to the Big 12, as they would be taking a severe pay cut to do so. Also, the SEC is a football conference and that fits Arkansas well, regardless of how bad they actually are.

Comment

I can't see the Big 10 adding both Missouri and Nebraska. Missouri, sure. Nebraska, ehhh. Nebraska gets absolutely trounced by Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt from a business case standpoint. Missouri is the only scenario west of the Mississippi that makes any sense. Go east, that's "where it's at".

My guess is the Big Ten expands by two teams. Missouri, and either Pitt or Rutgers. Or, Pitt and Rutgers and ditch Missouri.

Edit: As for Iowa State, they're in a pretty weak position, holding almost no cards.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                  Nebraska gets absolutely trounced by Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt from a business case standpoint.
                  How many times do you see Rutgers, Syracuse, or Pitt on a national TV game vs. the number of appearances by Nebraska? It's not all about media market size.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                    How many times do you see Rutgers, Syracuse, or Pitt on a national TV game vs. the number of appearances by Nebraska? It's not all about media market size.
                    Nebraska has a bit of a national following, but honestly, their inclusion would likely have more to do with adding two senatorial votes for medical research funding without having to add Kansas State.

Comment

My guess is the Big Ten expands by two teams. Missouri, and either Pitt or Rutgers. Or, Pitt and Rutgers and ditch Missouri.
                      I would be very surprised if the Big Ten added an even number of teams, leaving an odd number.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                        Plus, Pitt doesn't bring anything to the BTN that it doesn't already have.

Comment

In athletics, football and (to a lesser extent) basketball are all that matter. Those sports are then viewed through the lens of adding revenue through television sets. In this sense, ISU doesn't offer as much as many other schools.
                          Can't say I disagree.
                          On the other side, one could argue that ISU has just as much as a market as Mizzou, considering they beat us last year, had a better record, yet the Insight bowl chose us over them because of ISU's following.
                          Either way, yes, football and basketball need to improve at ISU.

I've been wrong before, but I've been told by too many people close to the situation that Missouri is as good as gone. Regarding Nebraska, I really have no idea. Arkansas will NOT go to the Big 12, as they would be taking a severe pay cut to do so. Also, the SEC is a football conference and that fits Arkansas well, regardless of how bad they actually are.
                          Mizzou would be my guess as the team to leave from the Big 12, if any do. They alone bring Kansas City and St. Louis markets. They will also be competitive, but won't go into the Big 10 and start taking names and kicking ass.
                          I've heard though that Arkansas wanted in the Big 12 awhile ago, I also don't see them taking a huge pay cut, especially if the Big 12 and Pac 10 partner in a tv deal. But, I wouldn't hold my breath on them making the move, although it would be my first choice for a trade with Mizzou.

I can't see the Big 10 adding both Missouri and Nebraska. Missouri, sure. Nebraska, ehhh. Nebraska gets absolutely trounced by Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt from a business case standpoint. Missouri is the only scenario west of the Mississippi that makes any sense. Go east, that's "where it's at".

Edit: As for Iowa State, they're in a pretty weak position, holding almost no cards.
                          Originally posted by Panther789 View Post
                          I would be very surprised if the Big Ten added an even number of teams, leaving an odd number.
                          It would be stupid if they added 2 teams leaving them with, yet another odd number. I thought they were trying to even it up so that they could have 2 even divisions and have a conference championship game.

Comment

There is no way the BT ends up with an odd number of teams.

Comment

Can't say I disagree.
                              On the other side, one could argue that ISU has just as much as a market as Mizzou, considering they beat us last year, had a better record, yet the Insight bowl chose us over them because of ISU's following.
                              Either way, yes, football and basketball need to improve at ISU.
                              One could argue that, but it would be foolish to do so. ISU was going to travel well because they hadn't been to a bowl in a while. Missouri pulls in FAR more television sets (which you have already acknowledged) which is what the Big 10 really wants. Not only that, Missouri gives the Big 10 another Medical school, the top journalism school in the country, along with a slew of other top-quality programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X