WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to Iowa State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happens to Iowa State?

Originally posted by UNI Prof View Post
    One could argue that, but it would be foolish to do so. ISU was going to travel well because they hadn't been to a bowl in a while. Missouri pulls in FAR more television sets (which you have already acknowledged) which is what the Big 10 really wants. Not only that, Missouri gives the Big 10 another Medical school, the top journalism school in the country, along with a slew of other top-quality programs.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Mizzou go to the Big 10.
    I'd like to see Mizzou's style of play in football and basketball shock the rest of the Big 10 into the 21st century.

I really think they are the only team from the Big 12 to leave. The only other team I could see leaving would be Colorado for the Big 10, and if they both leave, then I see us going after Utah, BYU, TCU, Arkansas, or Houston. (TCU and Houston being my last choices)

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised to see Mizzou go to the Big 10.
      I'd like to see Mizzou's style of play in football and basketball shock the rest of the Big 10 into the 21st century.
      they're not shocking anyone into anything.
      UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
        they're not shocking anyone into anything.
        Yeah, its called sarcasm. (but I was only being half sarcastic)

Comment

Actually, you'd be surprised. We are ranked 22 nationally in the director's cup (which measures overall athletic department strength), one spot ahead of Texas.
          http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/...pansion-impact
          Nobody that counts cares at all about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
            Nobody that counts cares at all about that.
            Yes, we already established that some time ago. I even agreed, I just said its a good look at the overall athletic department, not just football and MBB.

What really shocks me though, is that you're actually posting in a thread all about ISU!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
              How many times do you see Rutgers, Syracuse, or Pitt on a national TV game vs. the number of appearances by Nebraska? It's not all about media market size.
              Actually, yes, it is all about media market size because it's all about money (nothing wrong with that either). Big Ten expansion is all about boosting the ad revenue for the BTN, and commanding greater dollars from TV networks in future rights deals. In that regard, the 3 schools above are FAR better add ons than Nebraska. Unpopulated ranch land and livestock don't equal ratings points.

Oh, good points from those who said the Big Ten wouldn't add teams to end up with an odd number. In hindsight, that makes sense. From what I've read though, this isn't a single team deal. They're talking about adding multiple teams.

Comment

The problem that Iowa State will have is that there is no natural geographic place for them to go when the conferences realign.

They will be stuck in the same boat with the Washington State's of the world in that there is nothing really desirable about them that would attract a major conference.

I still think that there is no incentive for UT to go anywhere, they are in control of the conference that they run, and they have their natural rivalries in the same league.

But I think that Nebraska, and their sense of entitlement for being a dominant program 10 years ago is very interested in moving away from the South dominated Big 12. If they leave, then Iowa State is absolutely done in the Big 12. In reality, though, Nebraska is not as relevant nationally as they were 10 years ago either, and there aren't that many TV sets in Nebraska.

Missouri goes because of the St Louis and KC TV markets. But after that, I would imagine that the TV powers that be would want to get to the East coast and get into those markets.

Comment

Originally posted by 96' Alum View Post
                  The problem that Iowa State will have is that there is no natural geographic place for them to go when the conferences realign.

They will be stuck in the same boat with the Washington State's of the world in that there is nothing really desirable about them that would attract a major conference.

I still think that there is no incentive for UT to go anywhere, they are in control of the conference that they run, and they have their natural rivalries in the same league.

But I think that Nebraska, and their sense of entitlement for being a dominant program 10 years ago is very interested in moving away from the South dominated Big 12. If they leave, then Iowa State is absolutely done in the Big 12. In reality, though, Nebraska is not as relevant nationally as they were 10 years ago either, and there aren't that many TV sets in Nebraska.

Missouri goes because of the St Louis and KC TV markets. But after that, I would imagine that the TV powers that be would want to get to the East coast and get into those markets.
                  I think this is largely correct.

I personally believe you will see both Nebraska and Mizzou in the Big Ten fairly soon. The BT offers them more than they can get anywhere else, and it frees them from the shackles of the south.

I also believe UT will move. While they have a sweet deal today, they can get a better deal in either the Big Ten, SEC, and maybe even the Pac-10. If the Big XII loses 2 or 3 teams then the total amount they can demand is reduced, meaning what UT gets, however disproportionate it may be, will also decline.

It really isn't hard to see Nebraska and Mizzou in the Big Ten, UT, TAM, OU and OSU in the SEC, Colorado in the Pac-10 and significant portions of the Big East scattered about the Big Ten and ACC. That would leave a school like Iowa State destined to live in a non-BCS auto-bid conference.

Comment

Originally posted by 96' Alum View Post

That's a good assessment. Texas won't go anywhere, because they run the Big 12 and have the money. Nebraska will either go to the Big 10 (which I don't see happening because their market isn't huge) or they will stay in the Big 12.
                    If Neb and Mizz both leave, ISU will stay with KU, KSU, OSU, OU, etc. Maybe reform a Big 8 type of league, while keeping Texas?
                    There are a lot of possibilities if something big happens.
                    But, as of right now, I don't lose any sleep over any of this, right now everybody is just flapping their jaws because there is nothing else to talk about in late spring/early summer. Hell, I was watching College Football Live on ESPN a couple nights ago and they were talking about some massive Big East/ACC conference that made zero sense and would never happen... I couldn't help but laugh and just enjoy the news in a time where college sports is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
                      I think this is largely correct.

I personally believe you will see both Nebraska and Mizzou in the Big Ten fairly soon. The BT offers them more than they can get anywhere else, and it frees them from the shackles of the south.

I also believe UT will move. While they have a sweet deal today, they can get a better deal in either the Big Ten, SEC, and maybe even the Pac-10. If the Big XII loses 2 or 3 teams then the total amount they can demand is reduced, meaning what UT gets, however disproportionate it may be, will also decline.

It really isn't hard to see Nebraska and Mizzou in the Big Ten, UT, TAM, OU and OSU in the SEC, Colorado in the Pac-10 and significant portions of the Big East scattered about the Big Ten and ACC. That would leave a school like Iowa State destined to live in a non-BCS auto-bid conference.
                      Why would Texas want to join the SEC or Pac-10 and have to go against the likes of Florida, LSU, Alabama, USC, etc every year to get to a good bowl game? If they stay in the Big 12, they pretty much own it, not to mention almost have a free pass to the Big 12 Championship and a BCS bowl every year...

Comment

That's a good point, cy. Two responses come to mind, but UT staying put isn't out of the question by any means.

First, there may not be an auto-bid to the BCS, nor a Championship Game to win, in the Big XII for much longer. A league has to have 12 schools to play a title game, and if the Big XII will soon be a 9 team league, that right might be soon eliminated. Sure, they might add TCU, but the other schools that would be coming in to get back to 12 is underwhelming. They may even have a tough time keeping nine. The SEC has already said that if the Big Ten grows, they will grow. That growth will almost certainly come at the expense of the Big XII, in the form of any two of OU, OSU, Kansas, K-State, TAM, TT, etc. UT would be left in a very mediocre league struggling to get any respect.

Second, no doubt they want to win, but money is what makes the world go round. How much is winning worth is you're making 10M a year and the other guys, even the other guys who are mediocre, are making two or even three times that?

I'm not saying they will definitely bolt, but remember that the Big XII was UT's third choice when the southwest conference imploded, and the reasons to look around are compelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
                          That's a good point, cy. Two responses come to mind, but UT staying put isn't out of the question by any means.

First, there may not be an auto-bid to the BCS, nor a Championship Game to win, in the Big XII for much longer. A league has to have 12 schools to play a title game, and if the Big XII will soon be a 9 team league, that right might be soon eliminated. Sure, they might add TCU, but the other schools that would be coming in to get back to 12 is underwhelming. They may even have a tough time keeping nine. The SEC has already said that if the Big Ten grows, they will grow. That growth will almost certainly come at the expense of the Big XII, in the form of any two of OU, OSU, Kansas, K-State, TAM, TT, etc. UT would be left in a very mediocre league struggling to get any respect.

Second, no doubt they want to win, but money is what makes the world go round. How much is winning worth is you're making 10M a year and the other guys, even the other guys who are mediocre, are making two or even three times that?

I'm not saying they will definitely bolt, but remember that the Big XII was UT's third choice when the southwest conference imploded, and the reasons to look around are compelling.

I think that UT has a lot more juice than you want to give them credit for....Plus A&M is not going anywhere without UT and vice versa.....They are linked together.

And you use the word mediocre, I think that is appropriate for the quality of play in the Big 10/11. But they are the smartest group in that they market there product as desirable, even if they consistently lose bowl games. You have to respect that.

As far as the Big 12 goes, I agree that it will look different in the next five years. I am still not convinced that it will be radically different. They have catered to the South teams, and they have great geographic rivalries. I don't see the benefit for UT and A & M to play in Columbus in November....They know this also, which is why Nebraska is the only North school that gets a late season visit from one of the South powers. They don't go to Ames in November, that is a September game.....

I still don't think that Nebraska is desirable, due to the fact that they are not the power they were even 10 years ago.....It's possible that the Big 10/11 would take them, but I don't see that they bring a whole lot to the table.

It is clear, in this discussion, that Iowa is very lucky that they are the one in the Big 10.

Comment

Your post brings up a number of issues. UT carries some "juice", there is no doubt about it, but also remember that you don't have to go back very far for UT Football to be a very different beast. They were successful, but not dominant.

There are only two programs that are "homeruns" for the Big Ten - ND and Texas. That said, Texas can't carry a league by itself. A conference with UT but without Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Mizzou and Nebraska probably isn't much of a "power" league. I might be wrong, but if the cataclysmic predictions come true - a super Big Ten, ACC, SEC and Pac-10 make up the football power, do they bother to cut an eight or nine team Big XII with one good program into their world?

Bowl records are a terrible way to compare relative conference power. From September - December last year the Big Ten was "down" and "terrible" because they had a losing bowl record the year before. Then they had a great bowl season, so where they really better during the regular season, or are they just better next year, automatically, because of a good bowl record? There are further arguments to be made on the subject, but all they do is justify the idea that bowl records show conference strength, and I don't see a point in doing that.

I agree that UT wouldn't want to go to Columbus in November, and who is to say that in a realigned Big Ten that they would have to? They'd probably have to go to Iowa, Wisconsin or Illinois in November. Still, the reason they would do it is because it (A) keeps them in a power conference and (B) doubles their football revenue.

Nebraska isn't on the level of ND and UT, but they're a good get. They aren't that far removed from being a national power, and anyone over 30 years old doesn't have to think back too far to remember a world where they were everything that Texas is today (and there's a lesson for Texas in there). They don't bring many BTN subscriptions, but the addition of a traditional power to the league would increase what the league demands from ESPN without question.

Iowa is lucky, but they also fit. If Iowa were in the Big XII North, but their status both regionally and nationally were identical to what it is today, they would be a school the Big Ten would be targeting, just like Nebraska and Mizzou.

Speaking from a "what is best for everyone" perspective, if ISU is indeed left out in the cold (read: left to the MAC, WAC or MWC) that might not be a terrible thing for them. They would then be in a league where their resources were on par (or slightly better) than others in the league, as opposed to constantly being the pauper just praying for scraps from the prince.
                            Last edited by Newsbreaker; 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I guess my question is, does this make sense from a geographical point of view? Or does that not matter at all? Just curious...
                              Originally posted by rockybison
                              You guys suck so bad. Please never let me come back. Ya had 20 yrs by yourself and ya fckd it up. SU rolls in and does it in 4, prolly next year too. Living in a shadow is killn ya.

Comment

But, as of right now, I don't lose any sleep over any of this, right now everybody is just flapping their jaws because there is nothing else to talk about in late spring/early summer. Hell, I was watching College Football Live on ESPN a couple nights ago and they were talking about some massive Big East/ACC conference that made zero sense and would never happen... I couldn't help but laugh and just enjoy the news in a time where college sports is slow.
                                That was my point. It isn't just jaws flapping; Mizzou to the Big 10 is all but a done deal, according to the person I know. Like I said, I could be wrong and have been previously. Right now, it doesn't appear to be a matter of if, but when.
                                TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Working...
                                X