WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exertional rhabdomyolysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: exertional rhabdomyolysis

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
    this is thread is embarrassing. have fun.
    On a serious note...I just read that this is caused by high levels of creatine in the body. Yes creatine is produced in the body when we workout. But you have to wonder why were there 12 players and not just one? Statins, steroids, and ephedra can also cause this to happen. It seems it is also very common in horeses....Just telling you what i read in an article I pulled from Google.
    "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

If all the kids were doing the same workouts, which I assume they would be, that easily explains the large number. Also, it sounds like maybe one or two showed signs of rhabdo (biggest indicator is the brown urine) so they sent anyone with extreme soreness to the hospital as a precaution. This is not a condition to be taken lightly.

A workout that is heavy on one muscle group (i.e. heavy squats and sled pushes), especially one that involves eccentric muscle contractions (squats), has the risk of causing rhabdo. I'm not ruling out drugs or supplements, but with the information we have, I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of the strength coaches.
      EVER LOYAL.

Comment

these kids were also on designer drugs

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/sports/24tissue.html

Comment

Nothing fishy going on here at all.

Remain calm. All is well.

Comment

Wouldnt be surprised if the kids were on a legal supplement, didn't know what is was or how it worked, didn't tell their trainers and got screwed.

Idiots walk into Strive, GNC, and Complete Nutrition everyday buying stuff they don't need, let alone understand.
            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
              Wouldnt be surprised if the kids were on a legal supplement, didn't know what is was or how it worked, didn't tell their trainers and got screwed.

Idiots walk into Strive, GNC, and Complete Nutrition everyday buying stuff they don't need, let alone understand.
              no way, those GNC and advocare guys are SMART

Comment

no way, those GNC and advocare guys are SMART
                Lol. I sometimes talk to them just to see what they will say.
                Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Strive seems pretty educated.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post

There's a lot too this. A lot of the stuff that OTC suppliers like those named above are borderline at best as far as NCAA rules go due to contents. When I was at Iowa State we had to actively tell the athletes to stop buying their own supplements from these dealers due to some gray area ingredients. That being said, the strength and conditioning coach was feeding them approved supplements like candy, so they really didn't need anything extra.

My post earlier aside, I actually wonder if the S/C coach gave them something that did this. Not accusing anyone of juicing, but if the staff switched supplement products in the weight room, or were over feeding them the stuff, then I could see that as causing this to happen.
                    Fight! For the Purple and the Gold!
                    VICTORY FOR UNI!
                    UNI FIGHT! UNI FIGHT!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DomeRanger Posse View Post
                        There's a lot too this. A lot of the stuff that OTC suppliers like those named above are borderline at best as far as NCAA rules go due to contents. When I was at Iowa State we had to actively tell the athletes to stop buying their own supplements from these dealers due to some gray area ingredients. That being said, the strength and conditioning coach was feeding them approved supplements like candy, so they really didn't need anything extra.

My post earlier aside, I actually wonder if the S/C coach gave them something that did this. Not accusing anyone of juicing, but if the staff switched supplement products in the weight room, or were over feeding them the stuff, then I could see that as causing this to happen.
                        not likely. the NCAA banned S&C coaches from supplying supplements a few years ago. I highly doubt that Doyle et al would risk a career like that by blatantly breaking the rules, but thats just my opinion.

Comment

not likely. the NCAA banned S&C coaches from supplying supplements a few years ago. I highly doubt that Doyle et al would risk a career like that by blatantly breaking the rules, but thats just my opinion.
                          I did read today that the NCAA prohibits schools from supplying supplements to athletes but they can take any supplement on their own. Including creatine, it is not a banned substance. Seems crazy that it isn't.
                          "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

KWWL to provide live coverage of the 3:30 Iowa press conference.
                            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

this is true. athletes are on their own for supplements but i guarantee you that the strength coach wants to know exactly what they are taking. i have my doubts about creatine being safe long-term even though studies show that it is an effective supplement when used properly.

my mom has seen some shockingly young patients with kidney failure or CHF and many of them were athletes who used supplements regularly. she is scared to death of what will be discovered 10, 20 years down the road. it is an interesting point of contention in my immediate family because we are all huge sports fans/participants who have trained at various levels (3 D-1 athletes) and my brother is an athletic trainer/S&C guy.

there is a press conference scheduled for 3:30 and hopefully we hear that the 12 kids are doing fine and get an education in how NOT to train hard.

Comment

Anyone find it funny that the Iowa team doctor is in Costa Rica on "business" :P
                                It's about time we make the McLeod LOUD!

Comment

Working...
                                X