WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Healthcare.gov / Obamacare / Affordable Care Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Healthcare.gov / Obamacare / Affordable Care Act

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
    No, it's a shame our country allows a welfare class to exist. Poor and welfare are very different..
    Some people make a conscious choice to be/stay on welfare...

Comment

anyone that thinks this isnt going to be a huge train wreck is delusional, cost are going to go up, the cost of the program is double what they promised, I mean we spend almost a billion dollars of tax payers money on a web site to start with let alone one that wont work ! and their gonna run health care ? the numbers they are spouting about people signing up are flat out lies most of them are medicaid or people just creating a account not actually getting insurance and for this thing to work it calls on having young people sign up now what 27 year old is gonna pay a couple hundred a month when they can just pay 95 once as a penalty ? that is just stupid thinking to think they will. I have friends in country's with health care like this they say oh just wait till it really gets good , like one friend that was really sick went to a hospital and waited 6 hours in the er and hadnt been even seen yet when he said heck with it and went home, this is a huge train wreck coming
      Feel the Power of Purple !!!!!!

Comment

A piece in the LA Times yesterday discussed the next problem with the ACA, and it's a big one.

Strictly construed, it only allows subsidies for people who purchase though a state run exchange, which means people in 36 states might not be eligible for subsidies at all. Of course if that happens, the whole thing collapses in spectacular fashion. The IRS tried to fix this by regulation, but the source of their power to do so is dubious.

Fixing it will require an act of Congress. Good luck with that, of course.

How did this happen? We had to pass it to see what's in it, of course.

Comment

Now the Healthcare.gov website is down nationwide because of an outage at the hosting colo. Government by the lowest bidder.

Honestly, if they were expecting such huge traffic, why not put this system on an cloud based platform such as Rackspace, Amazon AWS or Salesforce? They can literally add computing horsepower in minutes, automagically.

Wonder how long it will take to punch all of the new cards, to reload the website once the colo is back up??

Comment

ACA is a joke. My cousin in FL. received a letter from her ins. co. telling her they were cancelling her current plan because of ACA. If she wanted the same coverage under a new plan her monthly premiums would go up 65% plus out of pocket would be much higher too. She is 63, retired -

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
              ACA is a joke. My cousin in FL. received a letter from her ins. co. telling her they were cancelling her current plan because of ACA. If she wanted the same coverage under a new plan her monthly premiums would go up 65% plus out of pocket would be much higher too. She is 63, retired -
              Thats happening to thousands and thousands of people , like my 76 year old dad needs maternity coverage its just that stupid and the funny part is how the dems sit on national tv and flat out lie like saying over 700 thousand people have signed up, most of that is medicaid not ACA and when they dont get the young people to sign up the costs are going to go threw the roof, they cant even get a website to work yet their gonna run all of health care ya right I have a bridge to sell you to.
              Last edited by 01PantherFan; 10-28-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Does anyone have an better alternatives for healthcare reform?

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                  Does anyone have an better alternatives for healthcare reform?
                  Anything/one than the US gov't that's for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by 01PantherFan View Post
                    Thats happening to thousands and thousands of people , like my 76 year old dad needs maternity coverage its just that stupid and the funny part is how the dems sit on national tv and flat out lie like saying over 700 thousand people have signed up, most of that is medicaid not ACA and when they dont get the young people to sign up the costs are going to go threw the roof, they cant even get a website to work yet their gonna run all of health care ya right I have a bridge to sell you to.
                    The 76 year old Dad would be on Medicare. As for the rest...just relax. It's still pretty early. Perhaps ACA will be a failure, perhaps not. People need to quit thinking armageddon is just around the next corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Luther_Heggs View Post
                      The 76 year old Dad would be on Medicare. As for the rest...just relax. It's still pretty early. Perhaps ACA will be a failure, perhaps not. People need to quit thinking armageddon is just around the next corner.

I do know what my dad has and he has more then medicare, my point was that because of the new ACA guidelines many people will have their INS cancelled and allot of the new plans you have to pay for stuff that you will never use. and yes it is early and I would bet about anything its only going to get worse, it doesnt take allot pof common sense to see allot of it is going to be a big failure like the getting 27 year old kids to pay a couple hundred a month for insurance when they can pay 95 once as a penalty.

Just had a lady on CBS from CA she got a cancel notice as well and her insurance under the ACA is going up X 10 Jan 1

People who think that the Govt is going to be able to run health care and make it cheaper just keep living in fantasy land LOL hell they spent what almost 300 million ( of tax payer money ) on a web site that doesnt even work most of the time

Comment

I do know what my dad has and he has more then medicare, my point was that because of the new ACA guidelines many people will have their INS cancelled and allot of the new plans you have to pay for stuff that you will never use. and yes it is early and I would bet about anything its only going to get worse, it doesnt take allot pof common sense to see allot of it is going to be a big failure like the getting 27 year old kids to pay a couple hundred a month for insurance when they can pay 95 once as a penalty.

Just had a lady on CBS from CA she got a cancel notice as well and her insurance under the ACA is going up X 10 Jan 1

People who think that the Govt is going to be able to run health care and make it cheaper just keep living in fantasy land LOL hell they spent what almost 300 million ( of tax payer money ) on a web site that doesnt even work most of the time
                        ACA does not address Medicare Supplimental Plans. But, keep us informed if he has to buy insurance to cover having a baby. I would be interested in hearing about that.

As for telling people (27 years olds) to not get insurance. Yeah, they can wait until they are in the hospital before they apply for insurance. Of course, their new policy only requires that they not be denied based upon pre-existing conditions. It will not pay for expenses incurred before the plan starts. So recommending anyone to not get insurance...I'm not 100% supportive. Heck, a lot of ambulance rides costs $900 or more, let alone any care received once at the hospital. But keep rambling though, maybe I'll change my mind.

People losing insurance. Yep, it will happen.

Government running healthcare cheaper than the US plan. Well, we do have some models of that. Pretty much every other developed country. I know, I know...people would rather die than go to those hospitals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                          Anything/one than the US gov't that's for sure...
                          You know the government pays for most of healthcare for several decades now. Don't you? It is called Medicare, medicaud, VA, federal employees insurance, and tricare for military.

They are and have always been the main player in healthcare.

This has not changed and never will.

Comment

I saw that story. The woman was 59 years old and claimed she had health insurance that cost $59 per month and now it was going up to $500+. Welcome to the real world. I don't know what she had for $59 a month, but it wasn't health insurance. A $10,000 Colonial Penn term life policy perhaps. Under $600 per month is pretty cheap for a 59 year old, not possible if she has any preexisting conditions.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Remember that whole "you can keep your insurance" thing?

Find the latest reporting on U.S. and world investigations. View articles, photos and videos covering criminal justice and exposing corruption, scandal and more on NBCNews.com.

Hope. Change.

Comment

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                                I saw that story. The woman was 59 years old and claimed she had health insurance that cost $59 per month and now it was going up to $500+. Welcome to the real world. I don't know what she had for $59 a month, but it wasn't health insurance. A $10,000 Colonial Penn term life policy perhaps. Under $600 per month is pretty cheap for a 59 year old, not possible if she has any preexisting conditions.
                                Can't imagine what you would get for $59 - probably was the "civil war medicine" plan. He'll, maybe it's my $25k deductible plan.

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters

Comment

Working...
                                X