WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News: NCAA board votes to allow Power 5 autonomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News: NCAA board votes to allow Power 5 autonomy

The power conferences in major college sports just got a little more powerful.

More on ESPN...

Re: News: NCAA board votes to allow Power 5 autonomy

The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Interesting article, and I agree with most of it. One thing though, Loyola has access to a hell of a lot more cash and resources than this guy seems to realize.

If Olympic sports get cut, and it seems a logical possibility, then Wrestling would be right on the chopping block. I'm not rooting for it, but it seems logical since it's a men's sport with no female equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I'm not rooting for it, but it seems logical since it's a men's sport with no female equivalent.
        If they are no longer under NCAA Rules will it matter if there is no female equivalent? Will Title IX still be enforced?

Comment

Title IX is a federal educational funding regulation - nothing NCAA can do to remove/modify that issue.

Comment

I knew that the NCAA couldn't remove it or modify it. I was just asking if the Power 5 would still have to follow it since they were stepping out from NCAA regulations but it does appear that even though it is in the NCAA Rules it is regulated through the U.S Government. That is good because I could see non revenue generating programs suffering at the less wealthy (smaller fan base) Power 5 Universities in order for them to try to stay competitive. I hope all of this ends up being a positive thing for Student Athletes but right now I am skeptical. I see this being the official end of the innocence of college sports and it will be looked back upon as a sad day in history.

Comment

I am fairly certain most of the larger schools (Ohio State, Texas, et al) will find a way to screw things up.

Comment

they're still under NCAA regulations, they just have more weight in determining those regulations as it applies to them.

In reality, the "innocence" of college sports ended quite a while ago, at least when it comes to football and MBB at the "power 5" level.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                  they're still under NCAA regulations, they just have more weight in determining those regulations as it applies to them.

In reality, the "innocence" of college sports ended quite a while ago, at least when it comes to football and MBB at the "power 5" level.
                  This is correct, and something I think that article writer missed. "Keeping pace" isn't going to be much of an option. The Power-5 schools are going to give themselves, and only themselves, permission to cover "cost of attendance". The rest of us are going to be left exactly where we are.

Don't like it? Tough. I think enough of the Power-5 are prepared to leave the NCAA completely, if necessary, that Armageddon is a very real possibility (if several years away). Yes, a Power-5 Men's Basketball Tournament wouldn't be what we've come to know and love, but splitting a half-billion dollars 64 ways is better than splitting a billion dollars 200 ways.

I still think, ultimately, ten years from now, I think the FBS/FCS distinction is gone, and we're in a much larger "Division 1" with the current MAC/WAC/Sun Belt schools, and the "Power-5" are either in a segregated division alone or they've left the NCAA for football completely. Remember, there is nothing that says all their sports have to be under the NCAA banner. I think a school like UNI should be happy to let them do it. Yes, it limits football paychecks, but it keeps our one shot at national relevance (men's basketball) alive. The last thing we want is for them to leave the NCAA completely.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post

Very true, and the concept of student athlete at the BCS level died a long time ago as well. Anyone who doesn't realize this is living in an Obama like utopian fantasy land. Sure, there are some serious student playing football and men's b-ball, but there are plenty who would never be at that school otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
                      ... Yes, it limits football paychecks, but it keeps our one shot at national relevance (men's basketball) alive. The last thing we want is for them to leave the NCAA completely.
                      Actually, isn't it possible that it could be a way of getting the UNI-Ia game back? More like if we play a Div-II team. Exhibition. Doesn't help or hurt them, record-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                        Actually, isn't it possible that it could be a way of getting the UNI-Ia game back? More like if we play a Div-II team. Exhibition. Doesn't help or hurt them, record-wise?
                        NCAA rules don't prevent teams from playing non-NCAA teams (some schools play NAIA teams for example).

But it would "hurt" IA in that playing UNI takes a spot that could be filled with a "qualifying" win or whatever. It would all depend on how this hypothetical new P5 football organization structures their postseason. And even if it was considered an "exhibition" (which is not the case when an FCS school plays a D2), if they would happen to lose, it would most certainly hurt them. (granted, one would assume that this new autonomy would lead to a bigger seperation between P5 and FCS and such upsets would become much rarer)

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                          Very true, and the concept of student athlete at the BCS level died a long time ago as well. Anyone who doesn't realize this is living in an Obama like utopian fantasy land. Sure, there are some serious student playing football and men's b-ball, but there are plenty who would never be at that school otherwise.
                          Thanks, Obama!
                          UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
                            If they break away, they're only going to play each other.

Comment

Working...
                            X