WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VB at Bluegrass Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB at Bluegrass Battle

The volleyball team is playing right now on WatchESPN vs. #16 Kentucky. They play Creighton later on today at 4 pm

Kentucky has a player, Kaz Brown (Fr), who is a Cedar Valley native and played for Cedar Falls High School.

Live Stats
    http://www.ukathletics.com/gametrack...&startschool=&
    Last edited by Moose39; 09-05-2014, 09:26 AM.

Re: VB at Bluegrass Battle

UK wins set 1 14-25

Comment

UNI takes set 2 26-24

Comment

UK wins set 3 23-25

Comment

UK wins set 4 16-25 to win 3 to 1

Comment

Re: VB at Commonwealth Classic

Actually, the "Bluegrass Battle" was what Kentucky called the tournament they hosted last week (Wichita State was there).

This week, it is the "Commonwealth Classic" (Kentucky is one of four U.S. states constituted as a commonwealth, the others being Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts).

Anyhow, this afternoon, UNI is taking on former MVC rival, Creighton. And for the first time in 5 matches so far this season, the Panthers win the opening set, opening up with an 10-3 lead and going on to win 25-15.
            Last edited by JayJ79; 09-05-2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Panthers go up 2 sets to none over the Bluejays with a 25-23 win in the second set (UNI is 5-0 in second sets this season).

Creighton was starting to play better, however. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out strong in the third (especially since UNI unfortunately seems to struggle at times in third sets when up 2-0, at least they have in previous seasons).

Comment

Creighton's play started to heat up, and they took the 3rd set 25-16.
                going to the 4th set with UNI up 2 sets to 1.
                Panthers need to grab the momentum back from the Bluejays.

Comment

ick, I don't know what happened, but UNI's game just fell apart as the match progressed.

They cruised to the first set victory, primarily due to miscues in Creighton's play. Then CU started to right the ship later in the second, but UNI was able to hold on to win that one.

However Creighton took firm control of the third set, and continued on taking the fourth set 25-22, and the Bluejays totally dominated the fifth 15-5 to win the match.
                  Last edited by JayJ79; 09-05-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Hey Jay!

Your the volleyball guy here. It seems as though this has the potential to be Bobbi's worst team and maybe the worst team at UNI in a long time. Is it youth/inexperience? Recruiting? or what??

I'll hang up and listen...
                    #MACtion

Comment

I suppose it has the "potential" to be a bad year, but I'm not going to write off the season just yet. It may be a bit of a down year after recent highs, but it is way too early to be throwing around the "worst" label.

It is a young team, and has had some roster shakeups over the past couple seasons due to injury, transfer, and other reasons. They may not have the pure athleticism to compete with the top teams in the country, but UNI teams are often out "athleticised", and have found ways to compete. And it seems like in this early part of the season, they haven't quite yet found their "groove", and have some things to work out. But that all could develop as the year progresses.

I was somewhat disheartened by just how quickly this evening's match took its downturn, but frankly, I kind of figured going into the season that this weekend would more than likely end up being an 0-3 venture. All three opponents are very tough this year.

I still think the team can get things going and have success in conference, but even if they do end up finishing behind some other teams, I don't see anything that indicates this as the "worst". UNI vb has had tremendous success over the course if its history overall, but there have still been ups and downs over the years.
                      Last edited by JayJ79; 09-06-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

UNI vb was swept by USC, as expected.
                        But the Panthers made it quite competitive.
                        UNI scored 21 and 22 points in the first two sets, and even forced extra points in the third set before USC was able to win it 27-25

not bad against the #6 team in the nation
                        so no, the Panthers aren't in the upper echelon of the nation this year, but I think they will be improving more and more as the year progresses and it can still be a good year.

Comment

Working...
                        X