WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Farley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Farley

I'm even becoming apathetic about this thread now. Lol
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

I thought it was pretty bad that the head coach bashed the offensive line on the radio show after the game. He said that our offensive line needs to be bigger and that he needs to go out and recruit bigger offensive lineman now. It's sad that he has to go and blame the loss on them and those are the players he recruited so he must be admitting to screwing up again. I get it, they couldn't move the ball with the running game but to bash them when they are student athletes and not professionals is pathetic in my mind by Farley. That was the last straw for me and he needs to be gone after this season.

I don't know what Bryce Paup's thoughts are on his future in coaching but I would love to see him become the head coach. It looks like in all of the articles I read from new recruits, he is the one impressing them and bringing them to UNI.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that he has been quoted multiple times after the last few losses that the team has played "Panther/UNI football?" It's as if he's trying to defend himself on the losses and that the program is still playing "Panther football".

Comment

Originally posted by Luther_Heggs View Post
          College coaches are not like your typical fan. They are not presented with a scenario such as this and after five seconds make a decision. Coaches have run through these scenarios many, many times before presented in a game situation. I'm sure Coach Farley could talk for an hour on the pros and cons of the decision. Fans might be able to keep up a conversation for 20 seconds. Maybe less. I have full confidence that Coach Farley made the best decision.
          You're kidding, right?

Comment

College coaches are not like your typical fan. They are not presented with a scenario such as this and after five seconds make a decision. Coaches have run through these scenarios many, many times before presented in a game situation. I'm sure Coach Farley could talk for an hour on the pros and cons of the decision. Fans might be able to keep up a conversation for 20 seconds. Maybe less. I have full confidence that Coach Farley made the best decision.
            Coaches are creatures of habit and are afraid to change

Farley's habit is being conservative and chicken **** when it comes to taking chances.

The "sheets" coaches use are outdated and based on old, flawed, math. You'd be shocked at what the more recent studies are showing about going for it on 4th down, going for 2, etc... are actually showing.

Comment

Heard this the other day with regards to coaching football and mistakes/losses. "You are either coaching it, or you are allowing it".

UNI is 6-20 the last 4 years in 1 score football games. Thats a large sample size and is not a fluke. Various degrees of bad to average offense, specifically with the passing game in that time frame and an overall lack of execution and decision making are to blame.

Our overall talent level of our roster has remained incredibly high, near the top nationally IMO, and its talent alone that has allowed us to be in basically every simgle game that we play regardless of everything else. At least that is my view of things. Our coaches have to do better putting our players in the position to win games.
              Last edited by 06panther10; 11-02-2016, 01:19 PM.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                Heard this the other day with regards to coaching football and mistakes/losses. "You are either coaching it, or you are allowing it".

UNI is 6-20 the last 4 years in 1 score football games. Thats a large sample size and is not a fluke. Various degrees of bad to average offense, specifically with the passing game in that time frame and an overall lack of execution and decision making are to blame.

Our overall talent level of our roster has remained incredibly high, near the top nationally IMO, and its talent alone that has allowed us to be in basically every simgle game that we play regardless of everything else. At least that is my view of things. Our coaches have to do better putting our players in the position to win games.
                100% true.

An even slightly above average offense game plan the last half decade makes a massive difference. It's all down to coaching. Talent isn't an issue. Execution could be but when the schemes are so bad execution doesn't truly matter.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully, we stay with Dunne for the next couple years and get back to a more balanced attack like the days of Sanders.

We've wasted too much talent on the defensive side in the past 5 years. Two years ago we had 3 NFL players on our defense and lost 5 games....let that sink in. How many FCS teams can say that? Not to mention, we were the only team to beat both championship teams that year. We also had an NFL running back on the other side as well. It's maddening how every year it's win or go home for 4-5 weeks.

Something has to change. Hopefully it's the more pro style offense that will do the trick. It will help our defense stay off the field longer and make the opponent's defense think out there. It's not rocket science. The defense can't play 75% of the game and win consistently.
                  Last edited by SoccerDobber; 11-04-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

perhaps you don't have a grasp on what a fan is. I too have ran these scenarios through my head many times because I am a true fan and understand the importance of making these types of calls and how they effect how the rest of the game and the future of the program.

Comment

5-6. .455

Comment

Yesterday the defense didn't even seem very prepared. Dunne was to blame for the loss with 3 turnovers, but would he have been making better decisions had he played all season? (I know this is simplifying things. The 1st one was all on Eli. 2Nd seemed to be a miscommunication and the 3rd I have no clue.
                        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

The only MVFC schools to not have at least 1 win in the Dome in the last 5 seasons are MSU (historically bad), YSU & Indy St (both of which were off the schedule for 2 years each recently).

Thats incredible. We are more or less just a .500 football program in our own league.
                          UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                          iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I sure hope that Mr. Harris does not buy into the story that Farley seems to be trying to tell, that what we saw this season is "UNI Football" because that clearly is not the case. I know coming from ISU, a 5-6 season is acceptable, but this is a totally different story and Harris needs to take some action now.

Comment

This needs to be offseason priority #1

Comment

I certainly don't mind keeping this thread alive as I watch Kleiman (who should be the HC) and Entz trying to get to their 6th consecutive NC. Playing Stegelmier who year after year does more with less talent. Same arguments for last six years I have read here defending Farley don't add up. Most disappointing Dec. 6 2014 - boneheaded decision on QB play - BC playing whole first half resulting in a 24-0 lead. Other key to that game was the Oline play of redbirds under another UNI defector Dan Clark who nullified the usually awesome dline play that year under Paup. Not going all the way that year with the talent on the field was unacceptable. The coaching carousel every year is unbelievable. He's smart enough to leave Paup alone so it is great is still there.

There has never been any critical analysis about him in the media. Local media simply repeat what they are told by him. Nobody else cares.

Most of the frustrations stated on here are accurate but here's the biggest factor in the underperformance: The only people who hate Farley more than the players is the assistant coaches. Sure he has a few pets every year, but anyone with a serious connection to players and coaches knows this to be true. Nothing is going to change unless Farley can change this fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X