WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idaho Goes From FBS to FCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho Goes From FBS to FCS

It was just announced that Idaho will be the first program to go from FBS back to FCS. They will rejoin the Big Sky Conference.

The Idaho Vandals will make an unprecedented drop from the FBS to the FCS and return to the Big Sky Conference.

Re: Idaho Goes From FBS to FCS

Yay! Great memories of playing them.
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

UNI had some good games with them in the early '90s, especially the '92 game when number 1 UNI hosted number 2 Idaho in the UNI-Dome, the first time for a 1 vs. 2 in regular season play in I-AA (and only the second sellout in the Dome, according to the MVFC).

UNI won 27-26. Great game.
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

The Bison to the Sun Belt in 3, 2, 1, so sayeth Lakes.

Comment

And it begins

Comment

Will be interesting to see what New Mexico State does.

Would be a tough go as an FBS Independent.

Can they find a home in FBS? Or could they go FCS and join the Southland?
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post
              UNI had some good games with them in the early '90s, especially the '92 game when number 1 UNI hosted number 2 Idaho in the UNI-Dome, the first time for a 1 vs. 2 in regular season play in I-AA (and only the second sellout in the Dome, according to the MVFC).

The game you mention was probably the best UNI game I've ever seen live. Idaho's QB was Doug Nussmeir, who spent some time in the NFL, and is currently an OC for some NFL team (can't recall, and too lazy to look it up).

Comment

1992 was the year we played both Idaho and Idaho State in the Dome. In honor of our opponents, the PSC (it was called the Panther Athletic Club back then) club room served baked potatoes for the first game and twice-baked potatoes for the second!

Comment

Originally posted by otter View Post
                  And it begins

Are you thinking these types of movements are the start of the next major football division alignment?

It is a wonder that some of these small FBS teams can afford football...

Comment

Originally posted by PanthersKB View Post
                    Are you thinking these types of movements are the start of the next major football division alignment?

It is a wonder that some of these small FBS teams can afford football...
                    I'm not sure this is the start. Unusual situation here where two weak sisters were dropped from a lower level FBS conference...and Idaho's geography left it with few alternatives.

New Mexico State might face a similar decision. But it'll take some other major impetus to get the next dominoes to fall...IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                      I'm not sure this is the start. Unusual situation here where two weak sisters were dropped from a lower level FBS conference...and Idaho's geography left it with few alternatives.

New Mexico State might face a similar decision. But it'll take some other major impetus to get the next dominoes to fall...IMO.
                      Major impetus meaning Big 10 expansion, SEC expansion, Big 12 dissolving or expanding (could go either way), etc. Any major realignment will be driven from the top, not middle or bottom.

Who knows, maybe Idaho knows something, or is making a proactive move based on a hunch by their AD or President? Has there been any reasoning given in the media, other than just typical press release related BS?

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

I'm not sure if "great game" does it justice
                        Those games vs Idaho were incredible. So fun...so stressful. Not sure anything can compare to those years in UNI football! Of course the fact I was still in college back then may cloud my judgement a bit- ha!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Comment

So, like the article says, does the Big Sky split into two divisions now?

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                            Major impetus meaning Big 10 expansion, SEC expansion, Big 12 dissolving or expanding (could go either way), etc. Any major realignment will be driven from the top, not middle or bottom.

Who knows, maybe Idaho knows something, or is making a proactive move based on a hunch by their AD or President? Has there been any reasoning given in the media, other than just typical press release related BS?
                            Agree on your first point. Spot on.

On Idaho...I don't think they know any more than any of us. I think they had knew a bad situation for them was about to get worse at the FBS level and this was the best option for them.

Comment

On a related note...saw that UMass has been having conversations about either moving down in football or dropping it altogether.

They're not making any change for the time being. But it's on the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X