WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Year

I know the NCAA championships are hours old, but there is no reason we can't start talking about next year's lineup.

I think the big question is will Colon be back? and if he is, what do you do with the loaded lower weights. Do they try and have Wolfensperger and Lazor both move up so Colon can have 133? Or do you keep them at the weights they are and bump Peters so Colon can work down to 125?

My predictions

125-Peters (Colon if on team)
    133-Wolfensperger
    141-Lazor
    149-Hiatt
    157-Jensen
    165-Moore
    174-Caldwell
    184-Loder
    197-Bartel
    285-Krumwiede

149 and 197 are open races. Can Jensen get down to 157?

It's very early and there are a lot of things to play out. A great step for the program this year!

Re: Next Year

Does Zach Witte fit in there somewhere?
    "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

149 and 197 worry me the most. Was not impressed with either this year.

Comment

If Colon is back on the team I think you see him at 133 moving up Wolfy and Lazor, as for Witte I think he would challenge for 149 if Colon isn't on the team.

Comment

I would bet solid odds that Joe Colon returns for his senior season, but not at 125. Dylan Peters is the real deal, I will be surprised if he does not AA next year at 125! In a perfect world Wolfy goes to 141 and Joey to 149, one of those two may not make the team, but that is the depth that UNI is looking for. Not sure they can get big enough for 149. Look for Jensen to drop a weight and be challenged by Witte, Cooper Moore at 165, look for Cody Caldwell to have a huge year next year, Loder will be a beast, really need to develop the final two weights, Eric Thompson anyone? Future is bright, well dome panthers!

Comment

Wolfensperger was really an undersized 141 pounder last year, and unless he gets a lot bigger, 141 just may not be in the cards for him. I'd hate to see anyone have to sit next year, but as we've said on here before, depth is a good problem to have.

As for Eric Thompson, I've wondered about the possibility of bringing him here since Tolly came back. I think that he only has one year of eligibility left, but he could (maybe still could be) have been a BIG impact wrestler for UNI.

Comment

It would be great to have Eric Thompson wrestling for UNI next year (Nick Mitchell at Grandview probably would not agree), but I don't think that is possible. My understanding is that Eric's eligblity for D-1 has ended. Once you start college the five year clock starts and does not stop. I believe Eric enrolled at Iowa State in the fall of 2008, and so 2012-2013 would be his fifth year.

There are a couple of exception where the clock does stop - military service or a Olympic red shirt year. Also, a injury hardship can get you an extra year (you have to lose almost two years to get the hardship).

Comment

Why are we all writing Krumweide off?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                  Why are we all writing Krumweide off?
                  I did not know we were. I am expecting a big break out year for Cody next year.

Comment

Next year is loaded in the lower weights. Count me among the group hoping to see Colon back at 125, keeping Wolf and Lazor where they are. Seems both would be pretty small if they tried to bump up. That trio can score some serious points. A year of Colon and Peters butting heads in the room would be great for both. Some good depth at all of those weights. 149 has the numbers, now we just need the production.

197 is the big question mark. I know Bartel has been listed there on the website but I remember reading an article in the Mason City paper his senior year of HS talking about how much more comfortable he was after the weight classes realigned. Said he was a little undersized at 189 but a natural fit at 182. I know it's possible for growth but that just sounds like Loder's successor at 184.

Krumwiede needs a sparring partner outside of the coaching staff. Someone who hasn't been talked about on here is Adam Reth from West Delaware. He signed his LOI to play football at UNI but he's one heck of a wrestler too. Intermat has him as #6 in the nation at 220. Fourth as a sophomore, undefeated champ both junior and senior years. I wonder if he won't find his way into the wrestling room at some point in his career. Even if it is as a part-time practice guy.

Comment

I, too, think that Colon is best at 125, but it's a LONG way off. Time will tell.

Comment

For what it is worth Tolly Thompson isn't a bad practice partner

Comment

The lower weights will work themselves out. My thinking is that Cody K needs to really bulk up to be a contender (just think conference foes Bradley and Trice.) We knew that he was a small hwt coming in and not sure how training has been going to add weight and strength. I also think Loder needs to work on strength to get over the hump. He is with the top guys on everything else, he just needs to be more physical. I see next year as an improvement at the NCAAs but two years will be the best UNI team in a long while. Also, any word on Caldwell's stumble at the end of the year? He got beat by two kids at the MAC he beat earlier and didn't seem himself in the last month.

Comment

Not writing off the Krum monster, I am one of Krums biggest fans, but things did not gel for him this year, some were health related (shoulder and hip), some were maybe training and toughness issues. Krum will be an All American before he is done at UNI. That being said, he does need another guy in the room to push him and make him earn the spot. I believe that ET has no DI eligibility left. I think you will see Cody C. Come back strong next year and I predict he will AA next year! I see no way Colon goes 125, the coaching staff really thinks Peters will do well at 125, but I am sure that could change, at any rate there will a logjam (depth) at the lower weights, which is ok! I think Loder is plenty strong enough for 184, he just needs to open up on his feet and he can compete with anyone! It will be awesome to watch the pieces of this team come together over the next 8 months, I also predict an impact transfer before next season.

Comment

I see Tanner Hiatt coming back healthy and strong from his shoulder surgery and being the top contender at 149. It is unfortunate the Reiter spent to much time at Minnesota and seems to have lost confidence in his abilities. I also feel that Taylor Kettman will be the front-runner for the 197 spot. I am hoping that he will have an entire off season to get into shape and stay healthy, since he was obviously not in wrestling shape with the time that he missed. It will be interesting to see how Wolfy comes back from, what I have heard is a shoulder that will be fixed in the off-season. One of the best things I have heard is that Bonin is planning on being in the room next year, which can do nothing but help guys improve.

Comment

Working...
                              X