WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three UNI recruits are in the All Star Meet & other wrestling information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three UNI recruits are in the All Star Meet & other wrestling information

The 35th annual North/South Iowa All-Star wrestling meet will be in Charles City High School Gym this Saturday, March 30, at 6 pm.

At this point I know of three UNI recruits who are scheduled to wrestle: Leighton Gaul from New Hampton (120) , Erik Lux from South Tama (170), and Chase Shedenhelm(182) from Denver/Tripoli.

Gaul's opponent will be Doug Miner from Spirt Lake, the 2A state champion. Leighton was the 2A 3rd place winner.
    1. Since Gaul committed to UNI just over a week ago I have had three people who have watched him wrestle several times tell me that he is the best 120 pounder in the state this year and that he just happened to have a bad match in the semifinals at state.
    2. In Des Moines this past weekend three of our UNI wrestling boosters had a chance to visit with him for about a 1/2 hour at the Fan Fest and we were all impressed by how well he presents himself in talking wrestling with three old guys.

Erik Lux' opponent is up in the air right now, but it may be Dylan Blackford from SE Polk. Erik was a 2A State Champion last year and finished 3rd this year. Blackford was a 3A State Champion this year.
    1. Erik's brother, Kyle, is currently on the UNI team. We look forward to watching both the Lux brothers wrestle at UNI in the next few years.
    2. Last March at the USA Folkstyke Nationals held in the Dome Erik had a big win with a fall over Cooper Moore who is a highly touted UNI freshman and is expected to make some big noise for the Panther Wrestling Team next winter.

Chase Shedenhelm will be wrestling Justin Kreiter of North Scott who was the 3A 3rd place winner this past February. Chase was a State Champion this year and finished 2nd to Erik Lux last year at 160. He was also picked #1 on The Predicament elite team this year.
    1. The comment I have heard most about Chase is that he has a big up side. He has been, up until now, involved in several sports. Some people have told me to watch out when Chase puts all his focus into wrestling.
    2. The word is that the PWC Golf Outing is going to be a lot tougher to win in future years when the Shedenhelms put together a team. I am told that Dad, Kevin (former Panther wrestling), little brother Izaak (a promising wrestler) and Chase can hit the ball long and in the fairway.
    3. Chase's Uncle Kurt Shedenhelm was an outstanding wrestler for the Panthers back in the the eighties.

Let's have some Panther fans in Charles City on Saturday cheering for these three guys.

On Panther Nation it has been reported that our Georgia recruit, Jake Hodges, won the 3A State Championship with a 66-0 record. That is a lot of matches and to win them all is very impressive. Congratulation Jake.

Coach Miller Retirement from Coaching

Saturday, April 3
    The Centre in Waverly 1211 4th ST SW
    5:30 Social
    Followed by Dinner
    Slow Roast of Milboy
    DJ 10-12
    Tickets $35 and must be purchased in advance
    Steve Walker 319-269-2014
    Les Ortner 319-239-1097
    Joe Breitbach 319-290-5801

See the link below for more information on Tolly Thompson being inducted in Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame April 8.

Last Mike Mixsell Report:

Mike got home last Thursday after more than 3 and 1/2 months in medical facilities and was able to watch the NCAA D-1 Wrestling Tournament on his big screen TV. He is feeling much better and getting around pretty well with a walker. Last night he joined my wife and I at Joe's Knight Hawk in Waverly for pizza and beer. Well, I had beer and he had pepsi.

The last Panther Wrestling Club meeting of the year will be April 10, at the Waterloo Doughy Joey's.
    Last edited by Scott; 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM.

Re: Three UNI recruits are in the All Star Meet & other wrestling information

Thanks for the update. More quality guys in the panther wrestling room!

Comment

Correction: Coach Miller Retirement from Coaching is Saturday, April 6. Sorry for the wrong date.

Comment

Last night at the North/South All Star wrestling meet in Charles City our three UNI recruits were all victorious. In my mind the feature match was at 120 pounds, Leighton Gaul from New Hampton defeatiing three time State Champion from Spirt Lake, Doug Miner, 5-3. Then in a wild match Chase Shedenhelm from Denver/Tripoli at 182 pounds beat Justin Kreiter of North Scott, 10-8. To cap off the evening Erik Lux, South Tama, pinned Dylan Blackford, state champion from SE Polk, in the first period. Erik Lux has a scrambling style that reminds me a lot of David Bonin and Joey Lazor.

Good job future Panthers and we look forward to watchng you guys in a UNI singlet for the next five years.

Comment

Very impressive with all three. Hear lot of praise for Gaul and have watched him a handfull of times, but he needs to grow alot or he will never see the mat at UNI with Peters being a 4 yr 25lber.

Comment

Working...
          X