WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Wrestling Banquet & PWC Golf Outing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Wrestling Banquet & PWC Golf Outing

We held our 31st UNI Wrestling Awards Banquet last Saturday in the McLeod Center with 145 in attendance. According to Mike Mixsell this was the largest turnout we have had. The Panther Train keeps picking up speed. If you haven’t ever been to the awards banquet I would suggest that you make it a priority next year. Lots of fun and interesting comments are made throughout the program. I have paraphrased a few of them.

Coach Doug Schwab* -* We are starting to get good depth at most weights.

Coach Doug Schwab* -* David Bonin will be staying around next year to help the coaches and working out with the wrestlers.

Coach Doug Schwab* -* After we start packing the West Gym on a regular basis, he wants to start packing the MeLeod Center.

David Bonin * -* *Wants and thinks next year’s team will set a new standard for excellence and make us forget about how successful this year’s team was.

Coach Mark Schwab * -* Our three graduating seniors are the only ones left from the 12 wrestlers that came to UNI five years ago.

Ryan Jauch -* A lot of those wrestlers who did not last the five years were friends of mine, but we were better off without them because they had a lot of negative energy.

Coach Mark Schwab * -* Riley Banach made the comment early in the year that he wanted to do whatever he could to help make the team* better. All the coaches really appreciated his attitude.

Coach Mark Schwab* -* Levi Wolfensperger has unbelievable strength in his hands and forearms.

Coach Doug Schwab thanked a number of people for their contributions to the program. Here is the list and I hope I don’t leave anyone out:

Michelle Van Dorn News Media Coordinator
    Kara Park Academic Advisor
    Dr. Brian Burnett Team Doctor
    Troy Garrett Athletic Trainer
    Ken Klingman Spiritual Leader
    Onni Prestidge Coaching Staff
    Cruse Aarhus Coaching Staff
    Brett Robbins Coaching Staff
    Jeff Bradley Coaching Staff
    Tolly Thompson Coaching Staff
    Randy Pugh Coaching Staff
    Mark Schwab Coaching Staff
    Sandy Stevens Contributor

Award Presentations:

GPA Award * - * Jarret Jensen - 3.93 * The highest in the MAC Conference; however, the coaches are a little “concerned” how he messed up in one class.

Coaches Appreciation Award * - * Ryan Jauch and Adam Perrin

McCready/Steffensmeier Award * - * David Bonin * This award goes to a wrestler who comes to UNI without a lot of scholarship aid and excels for the Panthers.

Lyle E. Schwarzenbach Award * -* Riley Banach and Jarret Jensen * The recipients of this award goes to the wrestlers who do well in academics, are selfless team players, show good citizenship and dedicated to practice.

Chuck Patton Award * - * Ryan Loder * Provides leadership on and off the mat.

Tim Ascheri Most Courageous * - * Levi Wolfensperger and Taylor Kettman * Both had serious injuries during the year and kept coming back.

Most Improved * - * Joey Lazor

Most Falls * - * Levi Wolfensperger

Most Valuable Wrestler * - * David Bonin and Ryan Loder

Winner of the Dodge Ball Belt * - * Austin Gelbach * From what I have heard these dodge ball games are not for sissies.

Seniors Speeches:

The three seniors did a very good job. I personally like the emphasis our coaches are stressing with the wrestlers to present themselves in a positive manner.

OTHER NEWS:

The Panther Wrestling Club Golf Outing this year has been set for Saturday, September 7, (SAVE THIS DATE ON YOUR CALENDAR) at Pheasant* Ridge Golf Club in Cedar Falls. More information will follow.
Working...
X