WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA tournament

With the MAC tournament over, the team will turn its focus to St. Louis. Do wildcards come out Wednesday? And with the highly unpopular seeding system, what is the over/under on the number of MAC vs MAC matches in the first two rounds? I'm going to guess 12. Ugh.

I was surprised that ISU only qualified one in their tournament (5th place Harrington) and will guess that Hall and Weatherspoon get at-large bids. BTW, ISU didn't finish in the top 10. Crazy.

As for seeding, I think at Alber, Thomsen, Steiert, Lujan, and Foster all get seeded. And even though he probably won't be seeded, I would not want to see DP in my quarter of the bracket. It will be fun to see where Holschlag lands, what a gutty performance by him to make the tournament. Even though he had already qualified, that win over Scott of NIU for 3rd was impressive.

And finally, anyone else surprised at the low turnout for finals? I expected more. On the up side, we did get great seats.
    Last edited by Unionpanther; 03-06-2017, 05:52 AM.

Re: NCAA tournament

Good luck to the Panthers today! Coverage starts at 11am today on ESPNU from 11am to 2:30pm and tonight the second round is on ESPN from 6pm to 9:30pm. ESPN3 has coverage on every mat during the tournament. Great to see live coverage on the ESPN network for the entire tournament!

Comment

Lujan on Mat 7.

Comment

4-0 in the 3rd. Takedown in the first, reversal in the second.
        4-1 now
        6-1 final

Comment

Foster on Mat 4
          Foster up 2-0
          5-0 halfway through 2nd
          8-0 final.
          Last edited by sivert; 03-16-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Holschlag on Mat 6 down 4-1 in 1st
            Holschlag lost.
            Last edited by sivert; 03-16-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

The University of Northern Iowa placed seven wrestlers in the NCAA tournament, and while all will wrestle later tonight only five are still on the front side of their brackets. “We won the ma…

Comment

Thanks. This is great. I love when Thomsen was asked who has next.. "I'm not sure I don't care".

Comment

I love Max's answer to the question who do you have next? "I don't know and I don't care".
                  He's ready to battle whoever is next.

Comment

Good start, bottom position has got to improve for the young kids to get on the stand this week and in the future. Dylan Peters may have the biggest heart (and balls) of any wrestler I have watched through the years, winning matches at the NCAA's on basically 1 leg and 1 arm, impressive.
                    Peters is the ultimate grinder!
                    Albers is so unpredictable, never sure what you are going to get, talent is there, like to see his skillset at 141 next year, great opportunity for him today.
                    Thomson is the ultimate worker, just grab his lunch bucket and says who is next, bright future, great shot at the semi's today.
                    Bryce bottom has got to jump levels to reach his goals, slow first match, looked he was focused on Mizzu, great chance to AA today.
                    Luhan is making far less crucial mistakes, bottom got him vs Va tech, great chance to AA today.
                    Foster may be UNI's most valuable and consistent wrestler this year, great opportunity to make the semi's in the deepest weight class in the country.
                    Horschlag will be a force in this line up for the next 3 years, full blown 197 next year will make a difference, just plain tough.
                    A lot of great opportunities today, time to grind boys, finish the marathon today and tomorrow.

Comment

Peters lost
                      Alber won
                      Thomsen won(is now an all-american!)
                      Steiert on deck

Comment

Steiert won
                        Lujan won
                        Foster lost
                        All around a pretty good round. Foster lost a nail biter in the quarters.

Comment

Alber had the escape but tried for the reversal and ended up getting no points. Poor decision and he's out of the tournament.

Edit: on second thought I don't mind it as much as at first. Always err on the side of aggression. But there are certain times that you should probably just take the 1 point and this was probably one of those times.
                          Last edited by strike00; 03-17-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Steiert has a good match and advances to the round of 12.

Lujan just gets countered all match and is out. Just a really bad matchup for him and a great plan by Navy. He reminds me a lot of Lazor early in his career. A great scrambler with a lot of funk but needs to develop a base behind the funk and a bit of restraint, which he will.
                            Last edited by strike00; 03-17-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Logan Thomsen became an All-American at Wartburg last weekend for the Knights, when he finished as a runner-up at the Division III National Tournament in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Max Thomsen was looki…

Comment

Working...
                              X