WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther Wrestling Club Meeting December 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Wrestling Club Meeting December 11

The Panther Wrestling Club meeting for December will be this Wednesday, December 11, at Doughy Joey's in Cedar Falls at 7 pm. The meetings are
    open to all wrestling fans, especially UNI fans and parents. The wrestling season is finally here and a lot has happened since our November meeting.

The agenda for the meeting may include some of the following items:

- Cobber Open where we had seven champions.

- Our two wins in the double dual with Northern Illinois and North Dakota State.

- The awesome atmosphere in the West Gym in our dominating 29-9 win over Wisconsin.

- The sixth place finish at Cliff Keen Tournament in Vegas where we had four place winners.

- Some insight of what to expect this weekend at the UNI Open (teams and Individual wrestlers).

- Looking ahead to the Midland Wrestling Tournament plus the two duals on the road in early January with Buffalo and Eastern Michigan.

- Coach's reaction to the announcement that is to be made tomorrow December 11, on the locations of the national wrestling tournament for 2015-2018.

-- Other questions and comments for the coaches.

Hope to see a good turn out at the meeting.

DON'T FORGET THE SOCIAL SATURDAY EVENING AT DOUGHY JOEY'S FOLLOWING THE UNI OPEN

Re: Panther Wrestling Club Meeting December 11

My summary is too long for one reply, so I will do it in two parts.

Part #1

PANTHER WRESTLING CLUB NEWS

We had a good turnout Wednesday night with about 50 people who braved the cold weather to come out to Doughy Joey's for our Panther Wrestling Club meeting. The meeting started out with President Mark Showalter expressing the PWC condolences to the family of Jon Moeller. He went on to comment that Jon was not only a great individual, but he also put a lot of effort into the PWC and UNI wrestling. Everyone who knew Jon not only liked him, but also respected him as a man. He will be greatly missed by many, many people.

Bus Trip to Oklahoma: As most of you know Jon was organizing the bus trip to Oklahoma City in March for the national wrestling tournament. His good friend, Ty Kimble who was one of the people who gave a eulogy at Jon's funeral (I heard he did a great job), has taken over this effort and will be in contact with those individuals who have signed up for the trip. One bus is full and they are working on a second bus.
    You can contact Ty by email - [email protected] or by cell phone 319-404-4210.

Rooms in Oklahoma City: Bill Roths is heading up this effort and already has 141 rooms spoken for at the Best Western-Saddle Back Inn which is located at 4300 Southwest Third Street. The phone number is 405-947-7000. Bill has asked that if anyone wants to make a change in their room or cancel they should contact him and NOT the hotel. He still has eight rooms left (king size bed only). You can contact Bill by either [email protected] or 319-240-9411. Bill has been working with Pam Gibbons on arranging room accommodations and they are already working on rooms at the Crown Plaza for the 2015 nationals in St. Louis.

Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame - Cresco, Iowa: Coach Doug Schwab and Tom Kettman will be inducted this coming April 14. Tom was a very successful coach at Don Bosco in Gilbertville, Iowa, and led them to numerous state championships. He is also the father of UNI's 197 pound wrestler, Taylor Kettman. Congratulations to both Doug and Tom. Hopefully, a lot of Panther fans will make it to Cresco to honor both of these guys.

Pledges for Pins: It was reported that UNI wrestlers have recorded 67 pins thus far this wrestling season. Editor's note: I don't know if we have any records on the most pins in a season by UNI wrestlers, but if we do I would think we are on a record pace. You can still sign up to be part of this UNI wrestling fund raiser by requesting a form from the UNI Foundation Financial Services 319-273-6078.

Panther Wrestling Club Wrestlers - Brett Robbins: Brett asked me to include in my summary a note about what the PWC Wrestlers have been doing. Here are Brett's comments: Since our last tournament we've been working and getting ready for the Minnesota Storm Holiday Tournament. We had a little down time but are excited to compete. We weigh in Friday the 20th and wrestle the 21st. It's been a good time to make the right adjustments. I've spent time with Doug and Tolly and I know Cruse has been spending time working on things with Duke. These last 10 days we are really focusing on being sharp in our workouts. They have been short/hard go's, to this point and getting what we need. I know I am excited to get my hands on somebody up there. Last year this was not a big tournament, but it is expected to be larger this year. We'd like to thank the PWC for all their support! We expect to bring home some hardware!
    Last edited by Scott; 12-13-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Part #2

PANTHER WRESTLING UPDATES BY COACH DOUG SCHWAB

The first thing that Coach talked about was Jon Moeller and what he meant to our wrestling program. He also commented on how long the lines were at the visitation (45 minutes to a hour). That alone tells you how many people wanted to show their last respects to Jon Moeller and his family. He was buried in UNI wrestling gear.
      Editors note: Click on the following link and you can hear Coach Schwab's comments at Monday's press conference (you will find the video on the left side and you may have to scroll down a little).
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unive...9287531?ref=ts.

Cobber Open at Moorhead: Was a good day for us with seven champs. This tournament worked well for us and helped our wrestlers get down to weight for the first time this year. 165 pounder freshman redshirt Copper Moore had a big victory with a 6-4 win over Steven Monk from North Dakota State who has been rated as high 3rd in the nation.

Double Dual with Northern Illinois and North Dakota State at DeKalb: UNI came away with two wins (32-6 over NIU and 29-12 over NDS). What Coach did not like was that NDS reversed three matches on us where we had beaten them a week earlier.

Wisconsin Dual: Coach Schwab said the atmosphere and energy in the West Gym was the best he has seen since he has been at UNI. The crowd and energy of a packed West Gym makes it very tough on Panther opponents. UNI had a dominating 29-9 win over a Wisconsin team that had been rated as high as 8th in the country earlier in the year. The ticket office stopped selling tickets and would not let late comers in the door until someone left the gym. Editor's note: I doubt that many, if any left until the final match was over. Following the meet a number of our wrestlers who, right now are not in the starting lineup, told Coach that they want to wrestle in an atmosphere like this and in the future want to be one of the tens guys on the mat - Doug really likes that attitude.

Iowa State Dual February 7, 2014: Doug said if you want to see the Panthers and the Cyclones wrestle in February your best bet is to have a season ticket in your possession. He does not expect any tickets will be available for walk ups. Over a 1,000 season tickets have been sold and Coach's goal is to sell 2,000 in the future.

Cliff Keen Tournament in Las Vegas: Our guys and our team are better for wrestling the tough teams that we went up against in Vegas. We saw a number of things that we can improve upon. We finished in 6th place out of over 30 teams. The five teams who finished ahead of us have very strong teams and four of them are rated high in AWN Coaches Poll- University of Oklahoma - #4, Nebraska - #9, Ohio State - #7, Cornell - #6 and Michigan - #19. UNI is rated #10. There was a little discussion about when UNI was last rated in the top ten.

UNI Open: Some of our guys will not be wrestling this Saturday. There are a few who are dinged up a little and it is better to rest them and make sure they are fresh come March. All of the freshmen will be wrestling except for Leighton Gaul who has a shoulder problem. Our freshmen are finding out that college wrestling is a lot different. Some of them have been on the mat more this year than they were in an entire high school season.

Midlands: We will be taking 15 wrestlers. Editor's note: I don't remember UNI ever getting this many wrestlers invited. This is a very well run two day tournament and I would suggest that if at all possible you make the trip to Evanston a few days after Christmas. You will see some outstanding wrestling and I am thinking UNI will be doing a lot of that good wrestling.

Individual Wrestlers: Here are a few things that Coach mentioned during the meeting.

125 - Peters pinned the first nine guys he wrestled this year and the first eight were in the first period. Dylan will be in the mix at Nationals. After the Vegas tournament he has a better understanding of what he needs to do against tough competition.

133 - Colon - The guy that beat Joe in Vegas wrestled a smart match against him. We are looking forward to meeting up with him again. Joe needs to make a few adjustments and Coach liked the way Joe came back in his next two matches. The Midlands will be a good tournament for him and Doug likes where he is at right now.

141 - Lazor is nursing a hamstring right now, but expect him to be ready for Midlands. He needs to be basic first and creative second. If you have seen Joey wrestle you know exactly what Coach is talking about.

149 - Wolfensperger has been getting some good experience and showing a lot of promise. Two other wrestlers are in the picture at 149 (Tyler Patten and Tanner Hiatt)

157 - Jensen is not that far off. Just needs to clean up a few things and he will be real competitive. Taylor Berger and Zach Witte are also in the mix.

165 - Moore is very good and with more experiences will be great. Needs to use his hands more and that will help a lot. Coach feels he is one of top eight kids in the country at 165. He is giving himself opportunities against good wrestlers, just needs to do a better job in finishing some of his moves.

174 - Caldwell - When Cody starts committing to the moves he makes he will be a lot more successful. We have to find a way to help him to do just that.

184 - Loder - Ryan has a knee problem, but could wrestle if he had to. We are trying to be smart and make sure he is ready to go in March when it matters. Kyle Lux (174) replaced Ryan in Vegas and did a good job. Almost beat Tanner Weatherman from Iowa State who has been ranked as high as tenth in the nation at 174. He just needed to keep wrestling the last minute rather than protect his 5-1 lead.

197 - Minto does a pretty good job when he opens up. His up side looks good. Jared Bartel is pushing him and the UNI Open should give the coaches a better feel where we are at with these two guys.

HWT - Cabell is improving rapidly and with more experience can be a real factor. Cody Krumwiede may also be a big factor at this weight before the season is over.

Recruiting: Our coaches are doing their homework looking forward to the April signing period for the class of 2014. They are also taking a good look at wrestlers that will fit into our program for the November signing period when the class of 2015 can first sign a Letter of Intent. Coach Schwab made a few brief comments about the three guys from the 2014 class who have already signed: Josh Alber (133), Adam Drain (184) and Adariois Jones (HWT). Josh is going for his 4th Illinos state title and fits into the mold of the type of wrestler we are trying to recruit at UNI. Coach said he likes what Adam brings to the table in attitude and effort. Adariois is very quick for a heavyweight and there is a big upside in his potential.

National Championship future sites ( 2015 - St. Louis, 2016 - New York City, 2017 - St. Louis and 2018 - Cleveland): Doug said he does not care where they are held, but he does like St. Louis and would not mind it if was held there every year. He really liked the tournament in Des Moines last year. He also liked that NYC would be wrestled on The Big Stage - Madison Square Garden.

New Rules: Coach did not have a lot to say on this topic, but does like the ability to score back points when the wrestler's shoulders are off the mat. As far as a takedown being given when the defending wrestler's one hand touches the mat he has some questions on how this rule will be enforced in some situations. Coach Schwab said he has told his wrestlers don't be counting on the ref. to call stalling on the offensive wrestler in a riding situation. They had better be finding a way to get out.

West Gym: Construction has not started on the new locker rooms, but the money is there and the project should get started in the very near future.

Panther Wrestling Club next meeting: Wednesday, January 8, 2014 at 7 p.m. at Doughy Joey's in Cedar Falls.

Please feel free to forward this summary on to others or send me their email address and I will add them to my list.

Comment

Just heard from Brands' mouth that no Iowa wrestlers will be at the UNI Open this year, due to it being finals week for them.

Comment

I didn't see any mention of Reiter? What's the word on Bart? Injury?

Comment

I hear Bart is done. Between injury and family situation he has chosen to move on. Great kid from a great family. I wish him nothing but the best.

Comment

Working...
            X