WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big 12 will not expand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big 12 will not expand

Idaho is dropping starting next year

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
      Because they'd end up in a no revenue conference, and revenue is what this is all about. The Big 12 would rightfully kick them to the curb if they dropped to FCS football.
      Yep. Always follow the money.
      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by BleedPurple View Post
        Have any FBS football programs ever dropped down to FCS? Why couldn't Iowa State and Kansas have a similar set up as UNI...FCS football with a strong, competitive Division I basketball team?
        FCS is division 1 football....

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
          Idaho is dropping starting next year
          FAMU also started the transition to FBS but stopped after a year or two or a poorly planned/timed move.

Comment

Originally posted by claw View Post
            FCS is division 1 football....
            Of course it's D1, but going from FBS to FCS is a downgrade any way you want to spin it. The OP never said it wasn't D1, but there's a big difference between D1 FCS and D1 power 5.

Comment

Jamie Pollard was talking today about expecting something someday that is more like the NFL with one big league divided into regional divisions.

Comment

Of course it's D1, but going from FBS to FCS is a downgrade any way you want to spin it. The OP never said it wasn't D1, but there's a big difference between D1 FCS and D1 power 5.
                Normally, yes. But we are talking about ISU and Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post
                  Normally, yes. But we are talking about ISU and Kansas.
                  Why in the hell would ISU and KU move to FCS??? They're both nationally relevant in men's basketball. KU is HIGHLY relevant. A move to FCS football ensures they get kicked out of the Big 12, and their lack of power 5 afiliation means WAY less exposure and WAY less money. Exposure and $ are the two most important things you have - it makes zero business sense.

Comment

Why in the hell would ISU and KU move to FCS??? They're both nationally relevant in men's basketball. KU is HIGHLY relevant. A move to FCS football ensures they get kicked out of the Big 12, and their lack of power 5 afiliation means WAY less exposure and WAY less money. Exposure and $ are the two most important things you have - it makes zero business sense.
                    I don't know how this would impact them financially, but from a competitive standpoint, it would make sense for KU to drop football and join the Big East. I know that's not possible since they're not a Catholic school, but there is no public school equivalent to the Big East.

Comment

Originally posted by Codytwo View Post
                      I don't know how this would impact them financially, but from a competitive standpoint, it would make sense for KU to drop football and join the Big East. I know that's not possible since they're not a Catholic school, but there is no public school equivalent to the Big East.
                      Maybe so, and you could make that case for Iowa State too. BUT, finances are what drives this whole thing, not competition. Money is far more important to these schools than being competitive in a particular sport. I can't blame them for that either.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedPurple View Post
                        Have any FBS football programs ever dropped down to FCS? Why couldn't Iowa State and Kansas have a similar set up as UNI...FCS football with a strong, competitive Division I basketball team?
                        Iowa State football profits millions of dollars. Why would they ever do that?
                        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

ndsu already being in big 12 in Wrestling was hoping for an expansión spot. $50mil new basketball arena and promises of a 50,000 seat out doors stadium if they got an invite
                          UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
                            ndsu already being in big 12 in Wrestling was hoping for an expansión spot. $50mil new basketball arena and promises of a 50,000 seat out doors stadium if they got an invite
                            I'm no fan of the Big 12, but I did loosely follow the expansion talk. Between the Des Moines Register and some local sports radio hosts, there were some media people pretty tuned in to the decision makers. I never heard/read NDSU's name even whispered, let alone mentioned.

Lakes, you guys may move to FBS, who knows, but it won't be P5. The Big 12 is also in the weakest position of the P5 comferences, by far. Decent chance it doesn't exist in a few years. That's how NDSU and Iowa State end up in the same league.

Comment

Big 12 will not expand

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
                              $50 mil for a basketball arena that holds 5,700 people. That's not good math. Oh, not only that it's not truly a basketball arena. It's a building that happens to have a basketball court in it. Seriously, look at the construction photos. So what you got was a 50 million dollar building that has an indoor track, a basketball court, the hall of fame, etc... and all they did was section off a part of the building and put a court in it.

This would be like UNI bragging about the WRC being something 10 times what it is.

It also looks like the seats are going to be 20 or 30 feet from the court. Not great for sight-lines in a basketball arena of only 5,700

Comment

USD's new basketball arena is much nicer than that...
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X