WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Practice, April 15th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open Practice, April 15th

Originally posted by Luckycat View Post
    Thanks for reminding me why I stopped checking this site as often as I used to. Way too many couch coaches on here that consider it their mission to display their ignorance and anger. Have a nice day Claw. Look real close and you'll find that the Sun came up this morning and the fact that the dog barked is no excuse to kick him to the corner.
    Failure to learn from history will doom you to forever repeat it.

Continuing to run the same failed offense will continue to get us 5-6, no playoff, seasons and continue to piss the fan base off even more. Continue to drive those who care about the program further away as it is clear to effort to make things work is happening beyond lip service.

I've said, repeatedly, that the talent on this time right now is extrodinarily high. The combination of size, speed, and strength, probably hasn't been this high since 07-08. None of it will matter if we continue to run an offense that has produced zero results the last few years.

Last year, in 4 games, Dunne threw for more yards than the other 7 games we played combined. You want to know what we didn't see much of in those games? The read option. The front ride on hand offs. Putting the QB in a situation to get crushed - until we decided not to play an OL against SDSU.

2015 was a complete aberration of no one knowing how to stop Bailey from running the ball. The offense wasn't good. There was just no film on Bailey. Completed 50% of our passes and averaged less than 150 per game passing - that's Tim Tebow in the NFL numbers.

2014? Remember when we decided that DJ didn't need to touch the ball more than 9 times per game through the first 7 games of the season? We didn't start winning until his touches went up to 29 per game. That years passing was even worse than 2015 because we had Carnes "throwing" passes.

2013? Carnes and Kollmorgen splitting time running a read option look. We finished 7-5. Sure, injuries decimated this team, but the offense was putrid outside of DJ as the season went on. Won the 4 four games of the season - 2 of which were poor excuses of D1 teams - and then went 3-5 in conference play

2012 is the one chance to point out "Passing stats don't lead to Ws". The team went 5-6, but Sawyer broke damn near every freshman passing record in UNI and conference history. 2012 was a weird year. Took Wisconsin and Iowa to the wire, but couldn't make stops on defense. Probably the worse defense we've had in a decade. D2 Central State and WIU will skew the stats but the defense gave up more than 26 points in 6 games that season, and more than 30 4 times. We had 3 games with over 300 yards passing and 6 with 250 or more. The games we didn't have many yards? NDSU's incredible 2012 defense, SDSU where we ran the ball 43 times, WIU where we ran 42 and USD where we ran 43.

The fact is, the offense has been horrendous with this attempt of a read/zone option Farley has been trying to force the team into. How do we know it's Farley? We've had Salmon, Verduzco, Davis and Mahaffey all call plays since 2012 yet nothing about the offense has changed. Pretty interesting to have that many different people calling plays and yet have nothing different about it - especially Davis who wanted to run 70-80 plays per game and whos teams average 40-45 pass plays and 35-40 run plays per game. Davis was the OC in 2015. The year we averaged less than 150 yards passing at a 50% rate. What do Davis's other QB's look like? Well in year 1 at Fordham his QB was named to the All League team and Fordham ranked 18th in the FCS for passing yards at 270 yards per game and had an efficiency rating of 155.96 - which was top 10 in the country. As a team they averaged 498.2 yards per game, which was fourth in the country, and averaged 40.1 points per game which was also fourth.

Go back to his days before UNI. At Shippensburg he averaged 335 yards passing, 37.4 points per game and 465 total yards of offense. Prior to his time at Shippensburg? D3 Wheaton where he averaged over 400 yards per game, 318 yards passing and 35 points.

Face it. Our offense will literally never change under Farley. Never. Why? Who knows. He's infatuated with this system that he never played in and never even tried to implement for his first 9 years as a coach. Something got to him and said "We MUST force this system in to UNI. We will no longer do what upper midwest teams do best (be big, strong and run people the hell over and then open the top with the deep ball). We are going to do what teams in the south do - spread everyone out and run an option play. The only time it worked was a QB from Florida, who may be one of the most hated QBs in UNI history. At least he was able to run that kind of offense.

It's not about a budget. It's not that we can't afford to change the offense or bring someone in to change it. We've done that. It scared the living **** out of Farley. It's well documented that a live scrimmage in Denver was stopped by Farley while he and Davis had words. After that the offense went right back to what we had before Davis came in - and then Davis left to a place that would allow him to run his system.

Yes, I'm extremely negative regarding the offensive staff. They are staff that produced mediocre, at best, results at bad programs. They are coaches that haven't been able to maintain their position at their previous schools. Maybe that is a product of their schools and not them. I'll grant all of them that, I really will. However, the reality is, a program like UNI diving to UC-Davis and Tennessee Tech for coaches isn't a sign that offensive coaches really want to be here.

Maybe it won't be a read option. Maybe the just want Dunne to carry out the read look on every play so they can lull the defense into thinking it won't happen and then spring it once or twice a game in big spots. Maybe. Dunne running the ball more than 2, MAYBE 3, times per game (outside of scrambles) should be grounds for getting someones ass fired.

Want to know what's interesting? Since the end of the spring game, and this has been discussed on here, 4 or 5 plays from the UNI football twitter feed have been deleted. All of them show a front read look with Dunne carrying out the option run look. Maybe that's coincidence. Maybe they saw how people reacted on Twitter to that look and were doing some PR coverage.

As far as yards/stats from the game? I wouldn't read a ton into it. Stats are probably kept at the point the play was blown dead, which many times wouldn't have been where the player was tackled. The passes appeared to be a decent mix of short/mid/long. There is one play that sticks out where Isaiah Weston grabbed a quick WR screen and would have gone to the tune of 60-70 yards for a score, but the refs blew it dead as soon as a hand touched him, but it wouldn't have been a tackle. Rima bobbled and dropped a deep 9 route over his shoulder that would have been 30-40 yards. That play has also been deleted from the Twitter feed. It would have been difficult, but it is a play I think Rima probably makes 70% of the time.

With the speed/skill we have at the skill positions we need to have different screens. We need stick routes, jail break, bubble, etc... Get the ball in the playmakers hand. Throwing those, even if smaller yardage happens, opens up the hitch and go. It opens up a pump to the screen and a TE (what are those?) dumping off the back edge into the spots the LB and S vacated with 10-15 yards of space to pick up. Antonio Brown and Julio Jones are fantastic at this. Screens can also hide deficiencies in the OL. Don't have to protect the QB as long and even if a screen picks up just 3-5 yards it's as good as a run play but forces the defense to stay spread. This can allow for the fake screen lead draw.

Yes, maybe I'm too hypercritical right now. Maybe, HOPEFULLY, I'm wrong. Nothing would make me happier than being wrong on this. There is just so much history telling me I'm likely more right than wrong.

I get people leaving the board because of people like ban_basketball, spanishmoon, P100. They didn't try to discuss facts or anything relevant to the discussion. I'm willing to talk about the issues the programs are having, but am willing to do the work to find backing for what I'm saying. That doesn't sit well in most message boards. It doesn't allow for a straight opinion discussion. It means that thought bubbles can/are burst and more effort is required to discuss the topic. If someone not being happy with the direction of the program causes you to leave, then so be it.

Comment

claw just pretty much gave you the last 8 years of UNI Football in a nutshell and why the program desperately needs a different direction or we're going to be stuck in the 5-7 win range with absolutely no direction...
      #MACtion

Comment

At least you can tell claw is still passionate about the program. Apathy took over for me a couple of years ago.
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

Comment

I thought the offense took a change in direction once Dunne took over last year. I'm anxious to see what this years team will look like. I'm not expecting drastic changes since I've always believed Farley wants to run an offense that dictates a slower tempo. Control the ball and keep his defense off the field. But Dunne's skill set seems to be in line with Sanders, Grace, and a healthy Kollmorgen.

So I'm in the optimistic camp.

When it comes to UNI's last few QB's ... Sawyer's injury problems led to some challenging years as he was never able to stay healthy. Sanders always ran enough, Grace ran a fair amount especially in short yardage situations. Rinne ran a lot...sometimes it was electric...but he was a small guy who got hit too much.. Carnes won games but it wasn't pretty. My opinion is they won in spite of him. DJ and the defense carried those teams. AB was electric running but just was never accurate enough to force teams from rolling 8 guys to the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
            I thought the offense took a change in direction once Dunne took over last year. I'm anxious to see what this years team will look like. I'm not expecting drastic changes since I've always believed Farley wants to run an offense that dictates a slower tempo. Control the ball and keep his defense off the field. But Dunne's skill set seems to be in line with Sanders, Grace, and a healthy Kollmorgen.

So I'm in the optimistic camp.

When it comes to UNI's last few QB's ... Sawyer's injury problems led to some challenging years as he was never able to stay healthy. Sanders always ran enough, Grace ran a fair amount especially in short yardage situations. Rinne ran a lot...sometimes it was electric...but he was a small guy who got hit too much.. Carnes won games but it wasn't pretty. My opinion is they won in spite of him. DJ and the defense carried those teams. AB was electric running but just was never accurate enough to force teams from rolling 8 guys to the line of scrimmage.
            Common theme on that? QBs that can't throw the ball but can run - though Carnes never ran. You are right on the money - UNI won in-spite of Carnes. If DJ didn't exist and Carnes was running that team we win maybe 3 games with him as the starter. Maybe. However, his record looks immaculate - and is a big part of why some posters love him more than Sawyer - because the coaches fed DJ the ball while he played but didn't when Sawyer was out there.

If the front read look is simply to try to catch the defense once or twice a game and it isn't actually a read option, fine. I'd like to see examples of how that fits in terms of timing on play actions. Would seem to allow more time for the DL/LBs to adjust and get to the QB as it takes another second or two for him to get the ball out and get set.

Dunne didn't do a ton of the read looks when he played last year. The game was played from under center more. IIRC, the first snap from under center last season, that wasn't a goal line situation happened at home with Eli Dunne as the QB. Yep, that means UNI didn't run an I formation play for about 7 games. That's not a made up stat. We are an Iowa program. Iowa is known for producing BIG mother f-ers up front. Why did we go away from having big mother f-ing lineman and trying to keep them slimmed down to 295-300? Because we wanted to run spread option crap. My hope is that with the guys we signed this year we are going to see a turn back to destroying people on the LOS. If we continue to see zone reads for the run plays it's clearly not the case.

The biggest weakness of a ZBS? Pass pro - especially if using slimmer OL to get to the edge on a run. In passing situations DL can/do simply bull rush the OL back into the QB. ZBS do work fairly well against teams that do a lot of twists and stunts with the DL/LBs as the OL can just hand off zones. However, if you watch our games the last few years, smart teams aren't twisting on us. They know Bailey/Carnes couldn't throw. They just straight bull rushed and blitzed off the edge or center gaps. It got Dunne absolutely killed against NDSU and SDSU. The shot that *should* have taken out out of the NDSU game was a straight bull rush.

We should use zone concepts but just go back to "We are bigger and badder than you are. F-ing deal with it"

Comment

I really hope to see us go under center some this year. Yes, Dunne has been a shot gun QB ever since high school, but I think if you look at the Sanders era offenses we used multiple looks so effectively. It got our running backs going down hill, and made our PA passing game so much more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                I really hope to see us go under center some this year. Yes, Dunne has been a shot gun QB ever since high school, but I think if you look at the Sanders era offenses we used multiple looks so effectively. It got our running backs going down hill, and made our PA passing game so much more effective.
                Right. I like the gun. I really like the pistol. I wish we used the pistol more. However, doing things to break tendencies or creating new looks/match up issues is vital.

There have been games in the past few seasons where our offense has been so predictable I've been able to guess the play within a few seconds of the huddle. I saw where the different players were going to line up and the tendency was never wrong. I could also guess with VERY good accuracy what we'd be doing based simply on the down and distance. If some random pleb "couch coach" fan that drives people away from message boards (as luckycat calls me) can pick up on that what do you think guys who are actually qualified to scoutand coach D1 football know and or pick up on? Their entire jobs are to scout UNI's offense to pick up on things. Have you noticed how it seems like the defense knows exactly what adjustments to makes, or exactly where to set LBs and DBs to get them in passing lanes? That's not a coincidence.

It all plays into each other. Stubbornness to not change the offensive system that isn't working leads to stubbornness in play calls that creates a system that isn't working.
                Last edited by claw; 04-17-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks Claw. Always appreciate your insight and opinions on the program. I can tell you and others on here are passionate about the success and future of UNI football.

Comment

I never thought I'd miss the days of choking in the semi finals.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_beeding View Post
                      I never thought I'd miss the days of choking in the semi finals.
                      Ouch.

(and, yes)
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                      X