WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dubuque Wrestling Tourney Jan 21st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubuque Wrestling Tourney Jan 21st

Kwinn Kraft moves down from the 149 lb class down to 141 and pins his first 2 opponents in the 1st period.

Re: Dubuque Wrestling Tourney Jan 21st

Originally posted by RC Panther View Post
    Kwinn Kraft moves down from the 149 lb class down to 141 and pins his first 2 opponents in the 1st period.
    How do you know that? Are you there, or are results available online somewhere?

Comment

from Schwab wrestling twitter-

Cruse Colon Juach wolfensperger welter Jensen lux Banach Berger Gelbach Kettman Caldwell Krumweide beale all in semis
      No mention of Loder or Bonin. They must have been held out (I hope).

Comment

from Schwab Twitter

Cruse Colon Banach-Jensen Caldwell Beale- Krumweide champs Kettman welter 2nd Wolfensperger 3rd
        Hopefully brackets come out soon.
        Last edited by strike00; 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

brackets
          http://www.duhawks.com/stats/2011-12...ash%20Open.pdf

Jensen wrestled 165 so UNI had all the semifinalists for that weight. They didn't wrestle each other at 165 and 285 in the finals. With the talk about Jensen and Perrin, Caldwell has maybe had the best year of the redshirts.

Comment

It was a pretty good day for the Panthers. The highlight for me was Cody Caldwell pin of Kris Klaprodt from Iowa in 42 seconds in the second round. Klaprodt was a highly touted Iowa recruit out of South Dakota last year. I think he is from the same high school as Jarret Jensen.

I had thought Jensen would be a 157 pounder, but it now looks like his future is at 167 pounds. He told me yesterday that this year is the first time he has done any serious lifting and he is going through a growth spurt.

These two along with some other really good freshmen make the future exciting for Panther Wrestling.

Comment

Is Hiatt still having concussion issues?

Comment

Yes, I talked to him yesterday and he said as a precautionary measure he probably won't wrestle any time soon. Since he is a red shirt there is no urgency for him to wrestle, so they want to let him rest and get healthy.

I like this kid a lot. He is going to be a good one for us.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Scott.

I agree that he is definitely one of many bright spots for the future. He's probably my favorite of the young guys to watch wrestle.

Comment

It looks like the panthers had a pretty good outing this weekend. The starters did what they were suppose to do. Colon continues to win big. Wolfensberger is doing well especially considering he is out of wt class. Impressed with Jensen moving up to 165 and making the finals and Caldwell dominating all of his competition.

Many of the redshirts have been competing well. Take a look at the stats on the UNI wrestling homepage. You will see that Jensen is 25-5 and Caldwell is 23-3. Those two have probably had the best year so far. Hiatt (13-4) had a good season going until the concussion issues occurred. Perrin leads them in wins at 30-9. Krumwiede 17-5. Cabell is 17-11.

Comment

Originally posted by Opti View Post
                      Many of the redshirts have been competing well. Take a look at the stats on the UNI wrestling homepage. You will see that Jensen is 25-5 and Caldwell is 23-3. Those two have probably had the best year so far. Hiatt (13-4) had a good season going until the concussion issues occurred. Perrin leads them in wins at 30-9. Krumwiede 17-5. Cabell is 17-11.
                      I agree they have wrestled pretty well this year and I'm excited about the future. That said, they are going to a lot of open tournaments and not always wrestling the top competition. I think next year will have a lot of up and downs but I'm definitely very optimistic about this program.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther Cat View Post
                        I agree they have wrestled pretty well this year and I'm excited about the future. That said, they are going to a lot of open tournaments and not always wrestling the top competition. I think next year will have a lot of up and downs but I'm definitely very optimistic about this program.
                        Yes, but they are wrestling other college level competition, and getting that experience of getting their butt kicked from time to time.

We often forget that these kids didn't lose much in high school, nor did they get a lot of experience in certain positions in high school (down position, most notably), and these open tournaments against similar competition give them that experience.

I won't try to speak for our coaching staff, but I suspect it's probably for some of the reasons that I mentioned why they are redshirting all of these freshman.

Comment

There will be a HUGE learning curve next year for these red shirts, no matter what anyone does, they will be ups and downs next year, no matter HOW prepared these youngsters are. Remember that as well as these youngsters are doing, they are still learning how to train, how to go to class, how to adjust socially, they will be competing in a longer season, and learning to compete against wrestlers as good as them or better daily. Some of these guys were not challeneged in their own high school wrestling rooms for years! This year they are going to limited amount of tournaments, no duals with 1 hour weigh ins, and the tournaments they enter next year will be a couple of steps up. The coaches are preparing them for battle next year, it is just impossible to predict how these young men will respond next year, especially the first half of the season. I think you will see a far different product on the mat in January of 2013 than you will in November and December of 2012, it will be a fun product to watch and the sky is the limit! The line up really sets up nicely for a long time with good depth (except for 125) and practices are intense and competitive, tough dual coming up Sunday, would really like to win the dual on Feb. 3rd at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X