WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Football In the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Football In the News

Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle has been placed on administrative leave, coach Kirk Ferentz announced, pending an independent review of allegations made by former players of racial disparities within the program, many involving Doyle.

I'm sure everyone has seen the news reports and social media posts regarding Iowa's football program.

Surprised there aren't any comments here on PN.

Going to be a very challenging time for leadership in Iowa City.

The world is so different than it was 10 years ago in many ways. The speed at which these situations move across the national landscape is somewhat amazing.

Will be interesting to see how the leadership in the athletic dept, the university and the state react to this.

And will be interesting to see how this story develops all the way thru Sept 5 when UNI is in town and beyond.

Winning is more fun than losing.

From what I read of the twitter feed on this one it seems like one of the biggest nothing burgers in years, if ever. Too bad KF felt compelled to bend over and grab his ankles for the BLM movement. I hope coach Doyle is not sacrificed to the mob. No one is less of an Iowa fan than me but this seems like much ado about nothing.

Comment

This has arisen in the midst of a much larger and unprecedented (from my lens) national event. Everyone can form their own opinion on it and the larger picture in the country.

But I would have to disagree with Skej's take.

If they had a complaint raised outside the program or from a single disgruntled player it could perhaps fade quickly.

But there have been specific stories told by a significant number of former players, including players who've gone on to NFL success and would seem to have no ax to grind.

There will have to be a deeper look into the program by the university and perhaps state government to get this resolved, including a close look at a few specific practices mentioned by the former players.

Ferentz has tremendous clout in Iowa City but this issue at this time is bigger than him and he can't control it. I don't think Doyle will be back.

Comment

KF has been pretty on top of things and done well at acknowledging the situation and the need for a united effort from the Iowa football program to bring about positive change.

Doyle didn't help himself much with his recent statement. Telling us he was proud of all of his players and then calling some of them liars for feeling discriminated by him.

Iowa is far from the only athletic program facing this issue but obviously the most public...for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Skej75 View Post
          From what I read of the twitter feed on this one it seems like one of the biggest nothing burgers in years, if ever. Too bad KF felt compelled to bend over and grab his ankles for the BLM movement. I hope coach Doyle is not sacrificed to the mob. No one is less of an Iowa fan than me but this seems like much ado about nothing.
          How do you know whether or not there is any merit to the concerns/complaints that multiple former players are sharing? Are/were you a part of the Hawkeye football program?
          Without being a part of it, I don't see how you could have definitive evidence one way or the other.

And I haven't really followed the story all that closely. Sounded to me like KF basically said "we'll look into it". Yes, Doyle was put on "administrative leave" or whatever pending the investigation, but that's a fairly standard part of the "looking into it" process. Is there something more than that that constitutes your claims of "bending over and grabbing ankles"?

Comment

I only know what was on the twitter feed. Some of the comments: one player thought it was racist that Doyle criticized him for how he tied his shows. Is there a black way of doing that? A white way? Perhaps there is a proper way if you expect to keep your shoes on in a game. Coach John Wooden used to tell his players how to put on their socks and he was able to keep a few good players in his program. Another kid thought it was racist when asked about his new car when "a white tight end with a big pickup" was not. Lots of that kind of stuff. KF probably has to conduct an investigation, I understand that. But he probably knows' so he ought to defend his coach or dismiss him if there is good cause. But that would reflect on him too since Doyle's been there for 20 years. Perhaps that dismissal should include BF who was also criticized. But if both, then KF should resign in disgrace as well, since it would imply that since two of his main assistants are racists his program must be. That's what cancel culture demands of him.

Comment

Decided to come back to the board today, then I see this garbage from Skej. Goodbye again. Embarrassing.
              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
              - George Halas

Comment

I'm guessing there is something to it when his son enters the transfer portal. Or he may just want out so he doesn't have to deal with it.

"I'd like to thank my teammates and others in the community for the overwhelming amount of SUPPORT I've received the last few days," Doyle said in a tweet announcing he was entering the NCAA transfer portal.

Comment

My prediction: Doyle will be sacrificed to save BF and, ultimately, KF. Doyle Sr. and his son have probably figured it out so the kid got out while the getting is good. I hope I didn't offend 95unigrad's delicate feelings with my prediction in case he's checking back. Our fans aren't as tough as they used to be. It's just a prediction but I might bet a couple bucks on it.

Comment

Never doubt old Skej75. Some things are as inevitable as they are predictable. https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...2b02eb9d4c7317

Comment

Never doubt old Skej75. Some things are as inevitable as they are predictable. https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colleg...2b02eb9d4c7317
                      Sorry Skej but on June 7 you said this was a nothing burger.

Someone else predicted that day that Doyle was done.

Comment

The two statements are not incompatible. The charges were trivial but Coach Doyle was sacrificed to the god of wokeness and political correctness in these troubled times. If anyone believes that after 21 years on the job, he would be bought out tainted as a racist in any other political era, I've got some swamp land in Arizona for you. I an sorry he had to be the sacrificial lamb to save KF and BF after all these years doing his job apparently quite well.

Comment

Working...
                        X