WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August 16th TC's Tailgate at Jasper Winery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 16th TC's Tailgate at Jasper Winery

Who's going? UNIdaughter and I are planning to be there. Hope to see some of you in person.

Wednesday, August 16th, Jasper Winery, Des Moines, 6 to 9pm.

http://www.unipanthers.com/news/2017...proaching.aspx

I'm assuming that this is a rain-or-shine event, so I'm still planning to go, even though it is raining in Ames right now.

Comment

Great event. Great crowd. Really enjoyed hearing from David Harris and the coaches. Fun time with Panther fans, athletes, and staff.

Comment

What did they talk about? I've been waiting for some video from somewhere but haven't seen anything yet

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post
          What did they talk about? I've been waiting for some video from somewhere but haven't seen anything yet

In the public speeches, nothing special. David Harris talked about fundraising accomplishments. He also explained that President Nook was at a funeral.

They had a sheet that listed all the current fall sports athletes from the Des Moines metro.

Coaches for men's basketball, wrestling, cross-country, soccer, and football spoke, but didn't say much. Schwab went off-script a few times which was fun. Isaiah Patton, a wrestler from Dowling spoke about athletics and academics. He was great. My early prediction is that he will end up being Governor!

They took questions on paper and only picked a few. The best one was the last from a 6-year old girl. "What is your favorite color?" The coaches handed the mic from one to another. "Purple." "Purple." "Purple." "Purple." It was classic.

The best response came from Coach Paulson who said that it isn't just that purple is your favorite color for 4 years, but that it will be your favorite color for life. Crowd goes wild.

The highlight for me was when UNIdaughter interrogated Harris about the new Head Coach for the Swim/Dive team. She is a chip off the old block!

And for the record, five members of the 2014-15 Swim/Dive team were present. Best showing of recent alumni in any sport. The women are still giving us new reasons to be proud of them.

Nice environment and lots of opportunities to talk to coaches.

Comment

Agree these events are great opportunities to have a 5 or 10 minute conversation with a coach or administrator.

I've talked in small groups to Jake, MF, et al several times at these events and they're willing to have pretty candid conversations...up to the limit of their reasonable judgement.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the recap. If you haven't heard Schwab talk before I bet his part was interesting - he often goes off-script and sometimes for a looonnnnggggggg time.

Comment

UNIdad... Thanks for the recap. I always look forward to that event but missed due to a work trip

Was curious if Jake had to say anything about his current or future recruits.

Comment

My guess would be Jake wasn't there.
                  GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                    He hadn't been the last few years. However, he was tweeting about it and the AD put out photos of him there. I am assuming he spoke since he made the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                      UNIdad... Thanks for the recap. I always look forward to that event but missed due to a work trip

Was curious if Jake had to say anything about his current or future recruits.

Yes, Jake was there. I got to talk to him for a few minutes. I wrote down a question about Austin Phyfe, but they didn't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                        Yeah Jake was there.

Talked to him for a bit. He's always very approachable at these events.

Mentioned AJ and...well...excited. Also really like what they're seeing from Pickford so far. Good things to say about Phyfe as well. And a few spots yet to fill. All smiles baby.
                        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                        X