WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tirrell Rennie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tirrell Rennie

    Not a good situation
    WATERLOO – A former University of Northern Iowa quarterback was shocked with a Taser and arrested after he allegedly refused to remove his pistols or leave the Isle Casino Hotel

  • #2
    Answer: 225 E 6th St, Waterloo, IA 50703

    Comment


    • #3
      Does the hotel/casino have a total no-firearms policy?
      (for those that didn't read the article, Rennie has all the proper permits to own and carry those guns, and it doesn't sound like he was threatening anyone with them)
      but non-cooperation with law enforcement is always going to lead to trouble.
      especially when the individual in question is carrying (or even perceived to be carrying), and even more so when the individual is a minority. You never know when an officer (or a bystander) will "feel threatened" and react with unnecessary force.

      But yes, even aside from that, it sounds like not a good situation on many levels. I hope he is able to get his life turned around

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm disappointed that as a criminal justice major, he didn't appreciate that guns are not allowed in casinos, and that staff had no alternative but to tell him to leave when he wouldn't cooperate. His attitude when he was brought before the judge left a lot to be desired also.

        Did he have any concussion issues from football?

        Comment


        • #5
          He's "homeless" but has enough $$ to rent a room at the Isle and carries several weapons? And further gets confrontational when asked to leave private property when his gun is displayed? I'd say there is a lot more to the story and it's likely not good at all.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            Does the hotel/casino have a total no-firearms policy?
            (for those that didn't read the article, Rennie has all the proper permits to own and carry those guns, and it doesn't sound like he was threatening anyone with them)
            but non-cooperation with law enforcement is always going to lead to trouble.
            especially when the individual in question is carrying (or even perceived to be carrying), and even more so when the individual is a minority. You never know when an officer (or a bystander) will "feel threatened" and react with unnecessary force.

            But yes, even aside from that, it sounds like not a good situation on many levels. I hope he is able to get his life turned around
            Please spare the 'even more so when the individual is a minority' cr@p. The guy was asked to leave private property when someone saw his guns and he refused. He was therefore committing the criminal act of trespass. He also was allegedly aggressive with police and threatened them. Had he left the casino at any time prior to threatening the police (it sounds like Isle staff gave him several chances and I'm willing to bet the Waterloo PD did as well), there would be no story and no arrest. The proper permits allow you to legally carry/possess weapons, but a business has a right to ask that you leave their property if you do so.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm sure the NRA and second amendment crowd will be rushing in to defend him and his right to carry whatever arms he chooses to wherever he chooses to carry them.
              GO PANTHERS!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                Please spare the 'even more so when the individual is a minority' cr@p.
                Minorities, especially black males, ARE more likely to be shot by police in such situations than caucasians.
                Not saying he was only arrested because of his melanin levels

                Comment


                • #9
                  What a weird story.... First of all there's nothing illegal about carrying a gun in the lobby or the hotel. If asked to leave he would be trespassing and could be charged as such. The article specifically mentions Rennie being reported as calm during the half hr encounter and then threatens the police? Then even at court he refuses to give his name? WTF, weird story.
                  "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                    I'm sure the NRA and second amendment crowd will be rushing in to defend him and his right to carry whatever arms he chooses to wherever he chooses to carry them.
                    What a dumb comment. The NRA is well known for standing up for criminals or idiots that threaten police???????

                    Yes I think we should be allowed to carry wherever but that doesn't mean they laws go away.
                    Last edited by ubuntuCAT; 01-10-2018, 07:36 PM.
                    "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

                      What a dumb comment. The NRA is well known for standing up for criminals or idiots that threaten police???????
                      Yes actually they are, but not ones who look like Tirrell. They stand up for people who shoot people like that if they feel "threatened" in some way. The NRA rewrote the second amendment 50 years ago and we will always be the most violent murdering country on earth until we do something about it, like get back to the original intent, a well organized militia. Mass murders committed every single day is about as far from a well organized militia as you can get. We have complete gun chaos.

                      GO PANTHERS!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

                        Yes actually they are, but not ones who look like Tirrell.
                        Show me the proof
                        "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

                          Mass murders committed every single day is about as far from a well organized militia as you can get. We have complete gun chaos.
                          What do mass murderers have to do with a well regulated militia? I don't follow your logic but you're right the 2nd amendment doesn't protect criminals. Are you suggesting that if we got rid of the guns we'd get rid of the murderers?

                          I know hundreds of gun owners that have thousands of guns total. I don't know any murderers.
                          "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

                            What do mass murderers have to do with a well regulated militia? I don't follow your logic but you're right the 2nd amendment doesn't protect criminals. Are you suggesting that if we got rid of the guns we'd get rid of the murderers?

                            I know hundreds of gun owners that have thousands of guns total. I don't know any murderers.
                            Well said, people that think gun control will stop gun violence are living in fantasy land, Chicago has some of the toughest gun control laws there are and they have one of the highest murder rates as well. Not many criminals care about gun laws or go and register and complete the required paperwork out, prior to going out and robbing a bank for example the only people gun control laws effect is the legal gun owners plain and simple.
                            Feel the Power of Purple !!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This thread needs to die. Like, now. Terrible news about a former Panther and political crapfights all in one. Ugh.
                              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                              Victory for U-N-I!

                              Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                              - George Halas

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X