WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali Farokhmanesh, Men's Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali Farokhmanesh, Men's Basketball

This is a couple of years old - posted on March 20th of that year.

There is a lot from Ali in this nearly 40-minute audio interview about much more than the Kansas game:

https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com/...s-jayhawk-fans

(Sorry if a repost - my quick search of the forums did not turn this one up)
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Being a UNI grad, and having a fantastic memory of those wins over UNLV and then Kansas, hearing this interview was exciting for me. Ali is one of those people to me that I just wish I could meet him in person. I live in British Columbia, and that night of the game against Kansas, I was teaching at a 4-H dog showmanship seminar. So I had not watched the game. To get home there was a stretch where I was on a 4-lane highway through farmland, so it was dark. As I was driving I suddenly noticed purple to the extreme right and to the extreme left. I glanced over to see what that was, but when I turned it was just black. As I looked forward again, the purple was back. Shortly I was on a bridge over the river to get home, and it was lit, so the purple disappeared. The minute I got home, I turned on the basketball scores and just started yelling and cheering when I saw UNI won that game! The night of the game against Michigan State, I was doing the second half of that seminar. As I drove home, there was no purple. I was disappointed. But when I got home, the game was not finished, but I also saw we were not going to win. So to hear Ali's disappointment losing that game, I don't feel so bad about my disappointment that night. I also have to say, I LOVE that video Ali did with the Kansas fans. I laugh my head off constantly. He handled that one with the perfect amount of having fun, even the Kansas fans had a laugh right along with him. I still have a copy of Sports Illustrated with Ali on the cover, and I also have the sports section of Denver paper the next day with that photo in black and white, with the headliner: Kansas Killer.

Comment

Working...
    X