WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWWL Dropping PST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KWWL Dropping PST

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
    yeah...good point. No one from Dubuque, CR/Iowa City went to or have heard or have interest in UNI....sigh
    People seemed to be down on KWWL because they consider them "hometown" to WCF, which is about as out an outdated a notion as broadcast TV itself. I would assume UNI has some fanbase penetration in the other towns, but is it enough to merit the expense for KWWL of a locally produced show dedicated to Panther sports? In a better economy, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
      People seemed to be down on KWWL because they consider them "hometown" to WCF, which is about as out an outdated a notion as broadcast TV itself. I would assume UNI has some fanbase penetration in the other towns, but is it enough to merit the expense for KWWL of a locally produced show dedicated to Panther sports? In a better economy, maybe.
      You do realize the station/studio are located in Waterloo....correct?

Comment

Lol, all this gum flapping over the years and mudra doesn't know where uni is located

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
          Lol, all this gum flapping over the years and mudra doesn't know where uni is located
          We are talking about KWWL numbnuts. I went to UNI & continue to be a supporter. You continue to be a pain in the ass & bring zero to this board.

Comment

I know you are. Why would a tv station in waterloo- a town that is overwhelmingly die hard hawkeye- feel the need to be loyal to a school in cedar falls?

Comment

I know you are. Why would a tv station in waterloo- a town that is overwhelmingly die hard hawkeye- feel the need to be loyal to a school in cedar falls?
              Overwhelmingly? I'm curious what data you're using. Working fairly extensively in Waterloo, the majority of people I encounter are UNI fans.
              TH1974: This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI Prof View Post
                Overwhelmingly? I'm curious what data you're using. Working fairly extensively in Waterloo, the majority of people I encounter are UNI fans.
                He is an Iowa fan so anytime the UNI board senses a slight towards UNI, he is the very first to defend the other side. It couldn't be any more obvious what his agenda is. The real question is...why is he allowed to continue year after year.

Comment

Kwwl from the few times I was in town for games seemed weak to me, Hopefully a new station gets excited about the new venture and whips up a good product!!

That's what happens in our business some times, routine turns into boredom-staleness.

This might be a good thing for UNI. Ps..if that GM said that he should be slapped.
                  UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

This is just ridiculous. First of all, Waterloo and Cedar Falls benefit mutually from what UNI brings to the area. Economics. Entertainment. Jobs. Education. To say there's a divide in terms of KWWL not being in UNI's hometown... is crazy.

I try not to jump at you for everything you say. But you really are grasping at straws with that one.
                    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Of course, but the particular town is no longer relevant, per my earlier posts. Again, I'd bet the management of KWWL thinks of themselves as "local" to the entire Eastern Iowa footprint they cover, not WCF. Plus, locally produced programming is expensive to produce, so the hill to climb to profitability is that much higher for that block of air time.

Comment

I have seen demographic numbers in the past. I'm sure they are available online. Not that I expect people here to actually care about what they find. I mean clearly kwwl should be committed to UNI despite the general disinterest of the majority of their fanbase and the fact that the station is located in a longtime center of hawkeye history and influence.

Comment

I am as big of a UNI fan as there is, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why some of you are so upset about this.

This is a total business decision from KWWL. If the numbers aren't there, maybe we need to look inward at what we can do to grow the fanbase. None of us want to hear it, but Eastern Iowa is HawkLand. This should be a wake up call to our marketing folks that their efforts aren't making the dent they seem to think they are...
                          #MACtion

Comment

the fact that the station is located in a longtime center of hawkeye history and influence.
                            Hmmm I grew up in Cedar Falls, folks owned a company in Waterloo and as far as I knew the center for Hawkeye history and influence was in Iowa City, in fact growing up both Iowa and Iowa State were each a couple hours away.

Just still to this day makes me laugh how Hawkeye fans think that every person in the state has to be a hawkeye fan first and then a fan of another school after ! Sorry to disappoint them but the Hawks suck and I could care less if they win or lose
                            Feel the Power of Purple !!!!!!

Comment

Just still to this day makes me laugh how Hawkeye fans think that every person in the state has to be a hawkeye fan first and then a fan of another school after ! Sorry to disappoint them but the Hawks suck and I could care less if they win or lose[/QUOTE]

And most likely 90%+ hawkeye fans didn't/don't go to iowa. Media made them fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
                                And most likely 90%+ hawkeye fans didn't/don't go to iowa. Media made them fans.
                                Now this is very, very accurate. The number of Hawk fans that have never seen Kinnick Stadium in person is staggering.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X