WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KWWL Dropping PST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KWWL Dropping PST

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
    Thanks eric. Have there been any discussions around putting the games on a statewide channel?
    What channel is statewide?
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

UNI Panthers sports - HDTV. What is this "HDTV" you write of?

sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk for one percenters

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
        What channel is statewide?
        IPTV? Kaboom

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
          IPTV? Kaboom
          For as much as they fundraise, I've long wondered if IPTV would have an interest in airing UNI games as I'm sure UNI would buy the time and line the sponsors up. Thanks for the info Eric! Great to see facts brought into the news of PST going to KCRG.
          The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

9-yr Iowa fan just said Waterloo/Cedar Falls is a longtime Hawkeye center of influence. Really? What planet have you been living in? To not expect KWWL (a Waterloo located station) to lead w/ UNI, you are a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              I am as big of a UNI fan as there is, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why some of you are so upset about this.

This is a total business decision from KWWL. If the numbers aren't there, maybe we need to look inward at what we can do to grow the fanbase.
              An excellent point, and one that many will miss.

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              None of us want to hear it, but Eastern Iowa is HawkLand.
              As much as some would like to make it out to be, the change in scheduling at KWWL isn't about UNI vs Iowa. As far as I know, they're not replacing PST with "The Iowa Is Awesome Hour". They've decided that PST isn't making them enough money in the late-night Sunday slot, and will run something else instead. Kudos to KCRG for picking up the show. It will fit nicely into a block with the UI and ISU shows. And really, they're a much better station than KWWL anyway.
              UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                9-yr Iowa fan just said Waterloo/Cedar Falls is a longtime Hawkeye center of influence. Really? What planet have you been living in? To not expect KWWL (a Waterloo located station) to lead w/ UNI, you are a clown.
                Don't worry, no one expected you to know that.

It's not a uni vs iowa argument but rather a target market argument. It's tough to expect th. Local station to invest resources in uni when the majority of their viewers won't. .

Comment

At the end of the day, after much debate, turns out this is KWWL's loss (whether they realize it or not) and UNI's gain. PST made a business decision to go with a better station with better technology in a better time slot, rather than take a less desirable offer from KWWL, win-win-win.

Congrats on the successful move Big Show. Please let us know when that central Iowa station is lined up.

Comment

I like the idea of having all state schools shows on back to back to back. one quality hour of TV with pst and then watch isu show. Should be good

Very improved move.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                      I wouldn't necessarily expect it, purely for business reasons. I lived in the DSM area until I was 30, much of which was in the old school media era. The three DSM area stations never lead with anything Drake, and neither did anyone expect them to. This isn't 1975, and the business model for an on air broadcaster is far different now. Those companies operate in a far more challenging environment.

Anyway, glad to hear the show found a home. I'm sure some of you, with feathered hair and Fonzi posters, will be mad it's not on the "local" station.
                      Last edited by SteinPizza; 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately I understand the business issues. I'm really glad KCRG will be airing PST. CONGRATS Eric. Reality is the UNI ADept. Is still on a very tight budget. As a PSC volunteer, we have been asked to raise an additional $100,000 for scholarships this year. It's a domino effect - the more scholarship money we raise, the more dept. money can be used for each sport, etc., etc. we also want to raise our membership numbers. We have several ideas in the works but would welcome more. If you are not in the PSC,PLEASE reconsider. Memberships are as small as $25.00/yr. PSC also has several payment options. UNI student/athletes and coaching staffs deserve our support. PM me if you have ??
                        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

P.S. total scholarship will be very close to $4 million. PSC has raised $1.2 million the past 2 years.

Comment

I've asked it before, but I would really like the information if anybody knows...

When the College of Business or the College of Education grants a full ride scholarship, are they also required to cut the University a check for the costs of attendance??
                            #MACtion

Comment

I try to do the PSC every year but sometimes home repairs and other things come up and tap the funds out.

That and the "relaxation therapist" in Wichita

Comment

It is the same argument as with newspapers or radio. In this day & age w/ the internets, satellite radio, 500-channel tv packages....if local stations don't focus on local teams then they have no valid use left.

Comment

Working...
                                X