WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Northern Iowa nursing program approved by Board of Regents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Northern Iowa nursing program approved by Board of Regents

"University of Northern Iowa nursing program approved by Board of Regents

The Iowa Board of Regents has approved the development and implementation of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program proposed by the University of Northern Iowa.

Campus leadership will work to develop the appropriate programming and curriculum in anticipation of a Fall 2024 launch."

Entire story:
    The Iowa Board of Regents has approved thedevelopment and implementation of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program proposed by the University of Northe
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Unfortunately, there are more nursing schools than there are nursing students at the present time. This will make three in the metropolitan area alone. Good luck with that.

Comment

8,000 qualified applicants in the Midwest who were not admitted to nursing school.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        8,000 qualified applicants in the Midwest who were not admitted to nursing school.
        Wondering if there is a shortage of qualified faculty?

Comment

Iowa is 48th in nursing wages. Education opportunities is not the problem, keeping new grads in the state is.

Comment

Originally posted by desertcat View Post
            Iowa is 48th in nursing wages. Education opportunities is not the problem, keeping new grads in the state is.
            Perfect marriage then. 84% of UNI grads stay in state. It's the only university in the state that's 'truly' Iowa.
            #MACtion

Comment

"8,000 qualified applicants in the Midwest who were not admitted to nursing school."

I have no idea where this number came from or if it is accurate. Locally, there are exactly zero qualified applicants who are not admitted to the two existing local nursing schools. The number of students are down in both, in part due to the stress of covid. Nursing has became an even more stressful job in recent years and the paperwork/bureaucracy has increased which is true in far too many jobs. Nurses are now as likely to spend as much time on the computer as with their patients. My understanding is that the work ethic has declined as has the quality of students due to too many online classes. And, yes, as 70 grad pointed out, there is a shortage of nurse educators as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Skej75 View Post
                "8,000 qualified applicants in the Midwest who were not admitted to nursing school."

I have no idea where this number came from or if it is accurate. Locally, there are exactly zero qualified applicants who are not admitted to the two existing local nursing schools. The number of students are down in both, in part due to the stress of covid. Nursing has became an even more stressful job in recent years and the paperwork/bureaucracy has increased which is true in far too many jobs. Nurses are now as likely to spend as much time on the computer as with their patients. My understanding is that the work ethic has declined as has the quality of students due to too many online classes. And, yes, as 70 grad pointed out, there is a shortage of nurse educators as well.
                Damn kids don't want to work, I'm sure...
                #MACtion

Comment

75 million baby boomers retiring by 2030.

Check the demographics.

They're gonna need nurses.

We aren't talking about the next 2 years...talking about the next 25-50.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

75 million baby boomers retiring by 2030.

Check the demographics.

They're gonna need nurses.

We aren't talking about the next 2 years...talking about the next 25-50.
                    No one doubts that many nurses will be needed in the years ahead. No one is rooting against UNI's proposed nursing program. However, if you look at current numbers, the problem is not a lack of nursing schools in Iowa, it's a lack of students. Plus many who graduate don't want to stay here, although that is another issue. Will the new program add to the pool or simply detract from existing programs? It remains to be seen.

Comment

Primary problem with the shortage is that nurses aren't getting out of school quick enough. Waiting lists for too many students at schools is creating a backlog of students just waiting to get into programs.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post
                        Primary problem with the shortage is that nurses aren't getting out of school quick enough. Waiting lists for too many students at schools is creating a backlog of students just waiting to get into programs.
                        I am quite familiar with two nursing schools and, believe me, the problem is not people waiting in line to get into the programs. Enrollment is declining and there are plenty of open spots. Could the programs be shortened somewhat to cut costs? Possibly, as long as the quality is maintained. Worth a try, I guess, but I don't get the impression that is what UNI has in mind. A BSN takes about 4 years no matter the school. You can get the RN designation at a community college (assuming you pass the boards) and if that is good enough for you it is probably the most cost effective. There are lots of quality RN's out there lacking the bachelor's degree, that's for sure.

Comment

I am quite familiar with two nursing schools and, believe me, the problem is not people waiting in line to get into the programs. Enrollment is declining and there are plenty of open spots. Could the programs be shortened somewhat to cut costs? Possibly, as long as the quality is maintained. Worth a try, I guess, but I don't get the impression that is what UNI has in mind. A BSN takes about 4 years no matter the school. You can get the RN designation at a community college (assuming you pass the boards) and if that is good enough for you it is probably the most cost effective. There are lots of quality RN's out there lacking the bachelor's degree, that's for sure.
                          I have 23 years of experience with a nursing school, and, yes, it is INDEED the major problem. Waiting list to just get into the nursing program for this one institution is two years

Here's an article verifying this. https://hechingerreport.org/when-nur...p-with-demand/

Comment

Originally posted by A Fan In Lean Years View Post

I have 23 years of experience with a nursing school, and, yes, it is INDEED the major problem. Waiting list to just get into the nursing program for this one institution is two years

Here's an article verifying this. https://hechingerreport.org/when-nur...p-with-demand/
                            I don't claim much expertise at Long Beach or in CA in general but I think my IA knowledge at least holds its own. As I pointed out a few posts ago, there is also a shortage of nurse educators which is step 1 in upping the number of nursing students. You might also note that I previously mentioned covid as reducing demand for nursing schools. As well as a lack of available clinical sites, etc., assuming you want them to have hands on experience. If you come up with something local, I'll be happy to consider it. Otherwise, don't bore me with a CA article from two years ago.

Comment

UNI's nursing program might be a different value proposition that the other local nursing programs. I'm not sure it's quite an apples-to-apples comparison. Additionally, UNI isn't only trying to draw students from the CV.

Comment

Working...
                              X