WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI destined for D-II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI destined for D-II?

Anyone else hearing rumblings of this? I have heard that it has been hinted at by some higher ups, but not to me personally. Wondering if anyone can confirm or hopefully deny.

Re: UNI destined for D-II?

Originally posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
    Anyone else hearing rumblings of this? I have heard that it has been hinted at by some higher ups, but not to me personally. Wondering if anyone can confirm or hopefully deny.
    after spending 12 years on 15 different message boards covering all 4 major iowa schools, this is the dumbest post i ever seen. congratulations!

Comment

This rumor is floating around. Either it's really being at least discussed, and partially explains RH leaving, or people who are angry about it are using the rumor for their own purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
        This rumor is floating around. Either it's really being at least discussed, and partially explains RH leaving, or people who are angry about it are using the rumor for their own purposes.
        Most likely the latter. Whether there's any speck of truth to it or not (I doubt there is), we'll be hearing about this rumor for a long time whenever someone is upset at some administrator in the university. "Well, I remember back in 2008 when they tried to get us knocked down to DII...."
        UNI isn't exactly splitting atoms in terms of academics. -run&blade

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. The state supports UNI more than any other school and anything to cut down their budget is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
            after spending 12 years on 15 different message boards covering all 4 major iowa schools, this is the dumbest post i ever seen. congratulations!
            I don't understand why it is a "stupid" post. If I were just floating it out there on my own, I would agree with you. But the fact of the matter is that I'm not making it up, it's come from some credible mouths within the athletics department. Like I said, I haven't talked directly with any of them about it, but I have spoken with good second hand sources who DID talk directly with the sources. Hopefully it is sour grapes talk and not for real, but with the departure of RH my "uh oh" radar is turned to ultra sensitive. I have heard that we are at our limit for DI athletics right now and if we drop any more sports we would have to go to DII per NCAA regs...tell me that is a far fetched scenario for a university receiving pressure from the state to balance its athletics budget. Seriously, tell me it is far fetched because it scares the *#$@ out of me to think it might be up for discussion.

Comment

Th is almost certainly right...this is coming from people who are in full-on Chicken Little mode over the events of the past few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
                ...tell me that is a far fetched scenario for a university receiving pressure from the state to balance its athletics budget.
                Let's take it personally. What's the one sure-fire thing that we can all do that might make a difference? Grab a friend and come to the basketball game on Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIPNTHR View Post
                  Let's take it personally. What's the one sure-fire thing that we can all do that might make a difference? Grab a friend and come to the basketball game on Wednesday.
                  That's not going to come close to balancing the budget.

Comment

I can't see this happening at all.
                    GO NORTHERN IOWA PANTHERS![SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

Comment

if it happens then newsbreaker spouting off that uni will be unchanged will be exploited as the dumbest post ever produced on these boards as it would be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post
                        if it happens then newsbreaker spouting off that uni will be unchanged will be exploited as the dumbest post ever produced on these boards as it would be wrong.

I have no idea which position of mine you're talking about. Still, being 'wrong' about a prediction doesn't make someone "dumb."

I'm assuming you're referring to my statement that UNI will be no different with RH as opposed to without him. For that prediction to be wrong, you'd have to prove that RH leaving was the determining factor, and that a change in that factor would create an opposite outcome.
                        Last edited by Newsbreaker; 01-27-2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                          That's not going to come close to balancing the budget.
                          Really?!? Myself and a friend who each buy one ticket can't balance the budget??? Shocking news...

However, over the course of a few years with controlled costs, significantly increased ticket revenue can balance the budget. And for those of us that can't yet write large checks to the PSC/AD with lots of zeroes... coming, buying tickets, and bringing friends who buy tickets is about all we can do it pitch in.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIPNTHR View Post
                            over the course of a few years with controlled costs, significantly increased ticket revenue can balance the budget. And for those of us that can't yet write large checks to the PSC/AD with lots of zeroes... coming, buying tickets, and bringing friends who buy tickets is about all we can do it pitch in.
                            Switching to DII would be the biggest way to control costs.

Comment

Originally posted by TH1974 View Post
                              Switching to DII would be the biggest way to control costs.
                              I meant keeping costs level to where they are now. Dropping to D-II would cut costs.

And clearly, no one on this board wants to drop to D-II.

Comment

Working...
                              X