WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest cuts wobble UNI, but Panthers still standing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest cuts wobble UNI, but Panthers still standing

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2...9800523ea0.txt

I hate reading this stuff. It bothers me alot, considering that UNI football is by far my favorite sporting event. I would like to know others thoughts and opinions on this.

http://www2.iowaccess.org/regents/Me...3/jungd06g.pdf

Here is a link to the Iowa Board of Regents. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of this pdf (pages 22-23)....you will see UNI info....Income Statement and Scholarship Operating Budget. There is also the Info for UofIowa and ISU. I understand that I-AA football is not a revenue generating sport, but the reality is that I don't think football is the most costly sport when viewed by per scholarship basis. I don't want to try and break the #s down for eveyone....just read closely and comprehend for your self. Title IX is a B!^CH
    What is also scary is according to 2002 #s, All women's and men's sports (excluding men's Baskeball and Football) only generated $103,393 in revenue.
    "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Additional thoughts......

I can't help but think there could be some type of football camp with Former Great UNI players whether they played in the NFL or not and current UNI players. Not only could this generate some money for the athletic dept but also be a recruiting tool for the football team.

I also think we really need to consider playing the Dakota schools. I believe that 2 of them are now I-AA. By playing the Dakota schools, hopefully a rivalry could be started and this could maybe lead to increased attendance instead of playing a non-conf game from across the country. Let's face it.....a flight to Flagstaff, AZ costs alot more than a bus ride to Brookings, SD or Fargo, ND.

Finally, Drake needs to be on the Football schedule. Yes, they are D-IAA non-scholarship, but its better than playing the Minnesota States, Winona States, Wayne States, Northern Michigans of the DII world.

All of this may only amount to a drop in the bucket but I think we have to start somewhere.
    "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

First of all, I think Hartzell does an outstanding job. He is a stud and has done nothing but help UNI. He gets the job done, and for him to go through this financial windfall and still have UNI standing is impressive to say the least. With that said, here are a few of my thoughts on how to improve revenue and just some random thoughts thrown together.

Things that could help, IMO:

Drake has not scheduled UNI in the past. UNI has tried, but they won't do it. However, I have heard word that Drake is thinking about it now. Something about a 2 or 3 for 1 (where UNI plays two or three at home and one at Drake every 3 or 4 years---depending on how the contract is set up). It should replace a D2 school on the schedule.

Think about this, if men's basketball averaged 5,000 PAID attendees per game, they would gross 750,000. That is 5,000 paid for 15 home games at $10 a ticket. That $10 is an average that includes the Iowa/Iowa State games where they are $20 a ticket (so really the money brought in could be more). This should happen every year. It happens at the rest of the MVC schools, why can't it happen at UNI? The $750,000 in revenue would be double the revenue BB made in 2003. The funny thing is, this dollar amount doesn't even account for the amount of money that is made off of concessions.

If football averaged 10,000 PAID attendees per game, they would gross 600,000. That is 10,000 paid for 5 home games (this year we have 6) at $12 a ticket. That $12 average was adjusted due to specials and varied ticket prices. That $600,000 would be on par for revenue from the past two years. The funny thing is, this money doesn't even include the money from the buy-out game (Iowa State), or the amount of money made off of concessions.

I think that by playing one of the Dakota schools, that would cut down on expenses, but the quality in scheduling won't be as great. UNI has a large number of alumni in the Phoenix/Tempe area. The drive to Flagstaff isn't too far, and it is a great opportunity for them to get to see UNI play and continue their financial support to the University.

Recruit in-state kids.....for the non-revenue sports. This limits the amount of money spent on each student athlete. Golf, baseball, softball, swimming, soccer, and volleyball should be able to find their talent within the borders each year. The majority of the track and field team should be able to be too, but they need some help out of state. I know this has been stressed since Hartzell has been here, but it needs to be even more stressed, IMO.

Get the McLeod Center up and running, so that the athletic dept. can start making money off of the UNI-Dome during the winter months.

Get the local businesses to put a 0.1% tax on sales, so that they directly go to the university's general budget to help heal the overall budget crunch. Ten extra dollars a month from each local business in the Cedar Valley would increase the university's revenue vastly.

For each night that UNI has a men's basketball, football, or big time concert, show, or athletic event hosted at the university, the local hotels/motels should have a $2 tax on those rooms. That $2 could go to UNI, as a "thanks for the business" memo.

Just some thoughts...anyone else?
      Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 05-18-2004, 07:40 PM.
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Great ideas Panthers to the Bone...

One thing that could help in the future is the decision (pending?) by the Board of Regents, that would not require the three Regents Institutions to charge the same tuition. This would (in my opinion) allow UNI to begin to have "reciprocity agreements" with other states.

This would assist Panther Athletics in recruiting out-of-state kids but only have to pay of in-state tuition for their scholarships.

Great points on the $2 per room local tax on hotel rooms that could go back to UNI and the option sales tax as well. I've often said that the local businesses really don't know how good they have it with UNI being in town. Much of their business comes from visitors to UNI or students, faculty and staff who reside here and keep them in business.

I think a main key will be when the McLeod Center does open, that fans need to buy tickets. Then, they need to buy concessions. It's such an affordable type of entertainment and something that assists one of the areas largest employers.

I'd like to see the areas other largest employers (Deere, etc.) start corporate sponsorships with UNI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Deere or IBP or Target, currently support UNI at all.

The Cedar Valley Economic Coporation (along with the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Chambers of Commerce) need to bring more business and industry to the area. More jobs, more people live in town, more potential ticket holders to UNI events.

Ticket prices do need to remain low. This could attract new ticket holders. More people in the building, more people buying pepsi and popcorn.

I will continue to try and help Panther Athletics as much as I can. I can't give a lot of money, but I can give time to volunteer in addition to my small (very small) donation.

If more people gave a very small amount to the Panther Club, that would also help.
        "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

You know, the university could try to work with developers of local sub-divisions in order to help create revenue. I know this is a little "off the wall", but interesting nonetheless.

Say the developer/owner of land is looking to sell units of land to prospective buyers. He says that you can buy this land for "X" amount of money and I will throw in season tickets to UNI football/basketball games for two years. If you get enough of those people, then you should be able to not only increase season ticket holders, but people will be pleased with the product on the floor that they will continue to come back. Maybe this could be set up through local contractors. The same could be done with people looking to build houses. UNI could say that a certain company can have free advertisement in the McLeod Center, as long as for every home/business they build, they give away season tickets to basketball/football/volleyball games to those who they built the house for. Of course, the construction company would buy the tickets at a discount, and UNI would get these people as fans for a year, and if they like the product, they will come back for more the next.

The same thing could be done for people moving into town. UNI and the Cedar Falls/Waterloo Chamber of Commerce welcome new people to town, show they what there is to offer, and then offer them half price tickets to UNI sporting events for the first year they are in town.

Those are just some small ways I guess more fans could come out and get behind their local team.
          The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

This is a tough topic to deal with.

I read tonight's Courier article with great interest. I am impressed with Rick Hartzell and what he has done with what little he has to work with.

Man, Title IX sux. We have to have women's sports that no one wants to see and generate zero revenue all because of political correctness. What a waste. I am not opposed to women's sports, but when universities are forced to adhere to the ridiculous title IX rules, they often cut men's sports instead of adding more women's sports. This is understandable from a purely financial standpoint, but from an athletic standpoint it sux. Just look at all of the universities that have cut wrestling because of title IX.

My suggestions for a fix?

Well, I agree that the McLeod center should have 5,000+ in attendance for every home basketball game. The UNI-Dome should be nearly sold out for every home football game. I would hate to have to cut any sports, but if we must get rid of some of the non revenue producing sports.

Just my opinion.

peace

igo4uni
            peace

igo4uni

Comment

Bone...

You bring up some very creative ideas. I think ANYTHING is worth mentioning to the UNI Athletics Administration. If they hear something they think will work, they will give it a shot I'm sure.

I think Marketing and Promotions Dept. should approach the IBP's, John Deere's and Target's of the world and work with them on a deal for individual game sponorship. I know SMS, for the last few years has had game sponsors for EVERY men's and women's basketball game in addition to football and volleyball. This year, they sold out all of their home baseball games as well. That gives them another revenue stream and gets people in their seats. It's builkding a fan base while still bringing in some cash. Along with the game sponsorship fee, the company would get 500-1000 tickets to distribute to their employees. Getting them in the door is half of the battle.

Once they are in the door, if the buy any concessions, that's gravy. Since UNI owns the concessions on campus, they just need to get people in the door.
              "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Working...
              X