WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone notice

Sean Keeler was dumped from the DSM Rag, replaced by Marc Hansen? Does this have any effects (positive/negative) on coverage of UNI sports in the paper?

I know that Andrew Lodge was/is the primary beat writer for UNI basketball. Does anything else get shuffled around?

Re: Did anyone notice

That's too bad about Sean Keeler. I thought he did a great job covering UNI athletics. He'll be missed.

Comment

Hanson in his first stint in sports tended to do Hawk columns and high school fluff pieces. Chances are good we won't see much of him up here...
      #MACtion

Comment

I doubt that Logue will be moved around but we'll see.

Comment

Maybe the Courier can hire Keeler for UNI and move Beaton to ISU.

Comment

I never really enjoyed Keelers columns on UNI (but at least there were columns). To me he didn't really like UNI, he always seemed to be on the verge of calling UNI dirty. Every article was: they play ugly but they are winning some games so I have to cover them.
            I think Hansen is a much better writer. He probably did cover Iowa quite a bit, but I think UNI and Iowa's programs are in very different places, compared to when he was doing sports last.
            "My role is to lead, plain and simple. . . .I with the help of my staff and our administration, we will lead." --Ben Jacobson

Comment

Are they going to bring the Peach back next?
              Fight! For the Purple and the Gold!
              VICTORY FOR UNI!
              UNI FIGHT! UNI FIGHT!

Comment

Why did they call it the Peach?
                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                  It was called the Big Peach and it was printed on peach colored paper.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewDog View Post
                    It was called the Big Peach and it was printed on peach colored paper.
                    ...but why? No particular reason

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                      Was it just about basketball? Was it a peach basket reference? I have no idea.

Comment

The Big Peach was the peach colored (paper) sports section - specifically on Sunday if I recall. Could be wrong about exclusive to Sunday.

It was used before Gannet purchased the DSM Rag. Originally the peach colored paper was cheaper than white newsprint. So they did some creative marketing naming it the Peach, and in effect, made you feels special about buying a cheaper product.

Comment

the big peach was an american institution

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
                            the big peach was an american institution
                            The Big Peach was sports back when the Register actually did a good job of covering sports statewide.
                            "They keep saying that what really matters is not whether you win or lose, but how you played the game. The trouble is that the best way to determine how you played the game is by whether you won or lost." - Anonymous

Comment

I think this is the big peach

who can name that movie?
                              Top ten UNI football plays from 2001-2011

Comment

Working...
                              X