WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSC Volunteers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSC Volunteers

Originally posted by Panther-Sheik View Post
    Become a volunteer. The few, the strong...the Team Behind the Teams! Seriously, would love to have you volunteer and bring some CR folks into the club. Second most opportunity for real growth is CR...behind Des Moines and the 100 PSC members that live there, of course.
    Is that bad for Dsm? How many total members are there now? It wasn't too many years ago they were shooting to get over 1,000. Is it 1200 now?

There's a lot of UNI alumni in Dsm, but we get little coverage of our school, most alumni probably aren't even aware that half or so of our games are on the radio in Dsm, or that on rare occasions a game is on some TV network they may or may not get with their cable/dish. You have to work at being a UNI fan in Dsm and most people don't want to work at it. It's easy and fun to be a Hawk or Clone fan, that's why most people are, including UNI alums.

Also keep in mind there are all kinds of benefits/activities to being a PSC member in the cedar valley. For Dsm folks it is just a straight up donation, you don't feel like you are really a member of anything. I'm not saying there is any kind of blame associated with that, it just is what it is.

How many members are there in the Twin Cities? There's little difference between living there or living in Dsm when it comes to being a UNI fan. How many I-club members are there in Seattle? A bunch I suppose, because it's still much easier for them to follow their team than it is for UNI fans in Dsm.
    Last edited by Silent Earl; 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Re: PSC Volunteers

Originally posted by Silent Earl View Post
      Is that bad for Dsm? How many total members are there now? It wasn't too many years ago they were shooting to get over 1,000. Is it 1200 now?

There's a lot of UNI alumni in Dsm, but we get little coverage of our school, most alumni probably aren't even aware that half or so of our games are on the radio in Dsm, or that on rare occasions a game is on some TV network they may or may not get with their cable/dish. You have to work at being a UNI fan in Dsm and most people don't want to work at it. It's easy and fun to be a Hawk or Clone fan, that's why most people are, including UNI alums.

Also keep in mind there are all kinds of benefits/activities to being a PSC member in the cedar valley. For Dsm folks it is just a straight up donation, you don't feel like you are really a member of anything. I'm not saying there is any kind of blame associated with that, it just is what it is.

How many members are there in the Twin Cities? There's little difference between living there or living in Dsm when it comes to being a UNI fan. How many I-club members are there in Seattle? A bunch I suppose, because it's still much easier for them to follow their team than it is for UNI fans in Dsm.
      We are nearing 1,700 total members now and REALLY want / need to get over 2,000. DSM does have more than 100, so I was being a little dramatic. I think there are like 150 or so now. But it is also UNI's largest alumni base, so there is a lot of room to grow in the capital metro. Really I think the main issue is getting the word out. We need more volunteers from DSM to simply ask their friends / family to join. I truly don't think 95% or more have probably ever been asked to join. The volunteers and Panther fans we do have down there are awesome. We just need more of them. Definitely no shortage of prospective PSC members right now, that's for sure.

I do feel for the out of towners since it is a lot tougher to follow UNI when you live outside of the Cedar Valley. I know my folks have to constantly harp on anyone and everyone in NW Iowa to get merchandise and to try to get radio / tv. But, I also know a lot of people that will drive 3 - 5 hours per weekend to watch Hawkeye football, too. Thankfully we also have some of those Panther die-hards tailgating at UNI on a Saturday afternoon. We just need to keep getting more of them.

The benefits are a tough nut to crack. Even living in the Cedar Valley most don't get anywhere near what we put in back in benefit. I usually use the discount on football tix and the parking. But I actually know quite a few from Des Moines that use the same or more (club room, b'ball tix etc.). Also, a person can join and be a PSC member for as little as $20, and there are some folks in the Cedar Valley that do that, too. No donation is too small. You just don't get any benefits until you reach at least $200. But whether you are giving $20 or $2,000 you really aren't doing it for the benefits anyway. It's about supporting your school and the student athletes that represent all of us Panthers, and taking pride in that.

Comment

Working...
      X