WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My response from Ric Jurgens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My response from Ric Jurgens

Got my response today from Mr. Jurgens. Here is what he said.

-------------------------------------------------
    I want to thank you for writing to share your thoughts about the recent announcement of the Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series between the University of Iowa and Iowa State University. There has been some confusion about the origination of this promotion, and I would like to clear the air so, hopefully, you can better understand Hy-Vee’s position.

The idea for the Cy-Hawk Series competition between Iowa State and Iowa did not originate with Hy-Vee. Learfield Sports and Clear Channel Communications, the broadcast networks for Iowa and Iowa State athletics, contacted Hy-Vee and presented this promotional idea to us. We recognized it as a marketing opportunity for our company ¾ a chance to tie into a sports rivalry that attracts the interest and attention of customers and potential customers throughout the state. For this same reason, two of our supplier partners, Coca-Cola and Kraft Foods, signed on to the promotion as presenting sponsors. Hy-Vee is one of three sponsors paying a total of $1.5 million over four years for television and radio advertising, promotional opportunities, and other sponsorship rights. Nothing in this marketing agreement was ever intended to slight the University of Northern Iowa or any of the other fine colleges and universities in Iowa or the other six states in which we operate. Neither should it suggest that we consider Iowa and Iowa State to have superior athletic programs. UNI, the University of Nebraska, the University of Missouri, the University of Kansas, Drake University and many others in our market area certainly could take issue with that idea.

Let me also add that Hy-Vee has long supported UNI and its athletic program and will continue to do so. Our company donated $25,000 for construction of the McLeod Center and local Hy-Vee representatives recently met with Rick Hartzell to offer an additional $30,000 contribution over the next two years. We are proud of our association with UNI and proud of the hundreds of UNI graduates who work throughout our company. We plan to support UNI, both athletically and academically, indefinitely. You, obviously, are a strong believer in the merits of the University, as well, and I commend you for that.

I appreciate this opportunity to explain the origin of the Cy-Hawk Series and the reasons Hy-Vee decided to become a sponsor of it. Thank you once again for writing.

Sincerely,

Ric Jurgens
    CEO, President
    Hy-Vee, Inc.
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Sounds like somebody at UNI athletics needs to start making their voice heard on this.

Comment

Well that was a pretty well thought out repsonse. If I understand this right....that means that 3 companies are paying $1.5mil over 4 years (approx $500,000 each at $125,000/year) for promotional/sponsership rights. I understand that there are many ways of advertising...but obviously TV is the best way....and until UNI can get more games on TV we will probably be left out of these type of advertising campaigns. I found it intersting that he actually disclosed the amount of contributions that Hy-Vee is currently making to UNI. I guess we just need to stay after them and hopefully they can donate more over time.....
      "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

I just got an identical email reply to the one above. Again, it looks like the problem falls in UNI's court here.

Comment

I also got an identical e-mail.
          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I got the same email from JLynch. You guys are pretty easily appeased if you are satisfied with this response. How did you expect HV to spin it? The fact remains they are giving an extra new money contribution to UI and ISU or $750K and stiffing UNI. They didn't need to make this contribution to advertise on TV, it has nothing to do with that.

There are 16 sports teams involved in the competition and only 3 of them are on TV, Iowa football and basketball and Iowa State basketball. I understand that HV did not initiate this whole thing and that UNI has a smaller fan base than Iowa (so does ISU). What ticks me off is the prevailing attitude amoung major Iowa media and corporations that there are 2 state universities and then they lump UNI in with out of state schools or small private colleges in state, just as he does in his response. When this was proposed why didn't anybody say "Wait a minute, what about UNI, shouldn't they be included?" To really make it fair this should probably be split something like UI - $800K, ISU - $500K, UNI - $200K. That would probably pretty accurately reflect the fan base and target advertising audience of the 3 schools. If it was split based on the athletic teams performance UNI would of course do much better.

My boycott continues...
            Last edited by GonzoCat; 09-01-2004, 09:58 PM.
            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Honestly...

I think Hy-Vee is thinking..."Hey, let's throw $30,000 more to UNI and maybe their fans will quit e-mailing us and start shopping at our stores again!"

How can UNI NOT be involved in this? I don't care what is going on in Missouri, Illinois or Kansas. Hy-Vee is CHOOSING to stamp their names on a promotion the bills itself as "finding out who is the best in the state."

If ANYONE in the Hy-Vee marketing department has a brain, WHY can't they suggest to their corporate partners to add UNI and split the money three ways?

Better yet, why aren't Learfield and Clear Channel trying to get UNI basketball on their stations? Please someone tell me, which school's men's basketball team made it in to the NCAA Tournament last season?

Someone in the media world needs to step up and put UNI on statewide TV for EVERY GAME! There are schools in the Missouri Valley that broadcast ALL of their teams' games on TV.

WEEK puts all of Bradley's games on TV
              Wichita State has a local station carry all of their games.
              SMS has 6 men's and 6 women's road games televised each season by KYTV.

WHY CAN'T SOMONE IN IOWA STEP UP? I know it's expensive, but why can stations in other geographic regions do it...and UNI can't?
              "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Better yet, why aren't Learfield and Clear Channel trying to get UNI basketball on their stations? Please someone tell me, which school's men's basketball team made it in to the NCAA Tournament last season?
                thats a good question
                "We're not an ordinary school," said Fort. "We have tradition. We have a good team year after year. We rebuild, and it doesn't matter who we have coming back."

dti

Comment

Originally posted by Chitown Panther
                  thats a good question
                  Why does Clear Channel and Learfield cut us out? Because there is much less money to be made from Panther sports. I've worked for the network in the past for several years, and it's a dogfight just to get a few stations to pick up UNI Football, almost impossible for Basketball. At it's peak, the football network had 13 stations (some of which gave priority to the more sellable Hawkeyes and Clones), and basketball around 5. At worst, some times there was nothing other then the flagship station for basketball. Iowa has dozens of stations, and ISU probably doulbe what UNI has or so. It's hard to convince a GM in Western or Southern Iowa that UNI is going to be something his local advertisers are going to want to buy. It's getting better, but still YEARS away.

Comment

Understood...

I understand what you're saying and understand it. But then my next question is, "How do we change it?"

My first thought is that UNI fans in different areas of the state need to call their local stations and ask for UNI Athletics to be added to their lineup! It starts with the fans. I'm glad UNI is on Praise 940 in the Des Moines area, but I travel the state and I would like to have the chance to hear the Panthers when I'm driving in other areas such as the Sioux City area, the Quad Cities, Clinton and Dubuque! If you live in one of these areas and there is a station that would be a good addition to the Panther Radio Network...write them, call them and urge them to call UNI and get information on how to become a part of the growing Panther Nation!
                    "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

I too will be sending a response to Mr. Jurgens.

Here is what I think needs to happen to develop Western Iowa into more Panther sports coverage. The Panther Nation needs to financially support a station that will carry UNI sports. I know the various area Cyclone clubs do this to keep their games on the airwaves at several stations across the state. Maybe there is something that we can do financially as well as letter wise to get this going? Any thoughts?

They also need to be made aware of the talent on UNI's rosters that are from those areas. Western Iowa has plenty of UNI studs. Ben Jacobson, Dylan Grimsley, Jared Josten, Darin Heideman, Justin Sandy (in the recent past), etc....
                      Last edited by Panthers to the Bone; 09-02-2004, 02:58 PM.
                      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

I stand corrected on UNI and Clear Channel. As of this year, UNI has signed a deal with Clear Channel to distribute UNI Network programming via Clear Channel networks Satellite capabilities (a major upgrade for network stations, previously it was done by phone which sounds like hell.)

UNI is signed with KXEL through 2010-2011 school year for the UNI Sports Network, it'll be interesting to see how involved CC becomes.

Comment

Working...
                        X