WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Deace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wdm panther

Why did we schedule media day on Nov. 2nd anyway? Coverage will be sparse on T.V. and in the newspaper.
    The argument for that is that election day has no bearing on the sports section or sports segment in the newspaper or TV news. The Courier will still have a sports section on Election Day, and KWWL will still have its five minutes of sports talk on Election Day. It's not like the beat reporters who are assigned to sports will have to be at the polls covering the election instead. I can understand the slight concern, but I don't think it's going to be a problem.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

problem

You say it isn't a problem. It already is a problem. Like previously posted...KXNO will not be covering it. Why? Because of the election. While there will still be sports on the news that day, the focus will heavily be on politics. Most of their air time as well as resources will be tied to the election. This is a dumb move by our administration to have it on the day they are having it. Having said that, it is ridiculous for this radio station not to cover it when they are a sports station. Their job shouldn't change that day regardless of whether it's election day or not.

Comment

Mudrafan-

I don't think it is totally a dumb move, but I think it is a little questionable. However, I agree with Borna, b/c sports cover sports, and with the World Series possibly over, no NHL, no college football on Monday, etc...there won't be much in the sports world to cover. As for KXNO, I highly doubt they would have been at UNI media day in person anyway. The only thing I said was that we should send them emails requesting them to come to UNI's media day....their excuse was the election, and I don't see the relevance. Don't get me wrong, the election is huge (probably the biggest of our lifetime), but the election can't be talked about for 3 hours with none of the polls in until 7 PM. I think it's a lame excuse for KXNO, but maybe there is more to this than has been talked about.
        The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

I definitely agree that KXNO is using an excuse when they claim that they can't attend cuz of Election Day. If it was Iowa's Media Day... guaranteed Election Day would not be an issue.
          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone
            Don't get me wrong, the election is huge (probably the biggest of our lifetime), but the election can't be talked about for 3 hours with none of the polls in until 7 PM. I think it's a lame excuse for KXNO, but maybe there is more to this than has been talked about.
            If you've heard Steve Deace's show in the past, this election will be his Super Bowl. He'll find a way to turn the show into a "Rush/Hannity" redux for his three hours. It will be "All Politics - All The Time" from 3 to 6.

Hopefully the DM Register will think enough of the Panthers to send someone in person to cover the event...

Comment

No Question

How many times has Deace been at UNI media day in the past when it wasn't on election day? He couldn't find Cedar Falls on the map and never had any intention of covering anything related to UNI. The election makes a convienent excuse.
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I think Gonzo hit the nail on the head. He could care less about UNI. The only way that he starts to care is when he starts seeing people who want to talk about UNI come onto his show or via email. It's not about election day...b/c if it were only about election day, Deace would have been in CF for football media day this year or basketball media day in the past.

The real question is if TC will be airing live from the friendly confines of the PEC?!
                The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Working...
                X