WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Deace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Deace

On Friday, Deace said that Jewish baseball player Shawn Green should not skip games last weekend for Yom Kippur observation. Deace said that Green should compromise and fullfill his Jewish faith by accepting Jesus Christ as his savior. I have not given his comments full justice and the context which they were delivered reaked of Anti-semitism and Christian Right-Wing Fundamentalism.

I didn't hear it live but I listened to the replay this morning on Cotlar and I was disgusted. I am a devout Catholic, but I am a firm believer that you should not impose your faith on other people. Steve Deace saying this was insensitive, anti-semitic, and I think they should FIRE HIM for it!!!!!

I will never listen to Steve Deace as long as I continue to reside in Des Moines.

Deace is pretty Christian Right-Wing. I remember listening around Christmas time last year and he would hang up on people for not using Christmas related terms that he uses.

I think it's fine to listen to him as long as he makes it clear where he is coming from. You don't have to listen long to figure out he is very right wing. I don't think he should hang up on people though, that pissed me off.

What I can't stand is when radio/tv people try to come off as neutral and they really aren't.

Comment

There is a reason he was fired from every other sports radio station in Dsm, and it's not for his sports commentary. He always gets himself in trouble when he goes off on politics or in this case religion. For people like him politics and religion are inseperable, and that's part of the problem.
      GO PANTHERS!

Comment

I was listening to the live broadcast when that comment came over the airwaves. I think the thing that you have to listen for is that he said

"the only way possible for both sides to get what they want (i.e.- Shawn to play and observe sacred holiday/sabbath/atonement for sins) is for Shawn to accept Jesus Christ as his Savior for his sins and receive daily atonement (instead of Jewish rituals--i.e.-because of Jesus there is no need for ritualistic atonement of sins, but rather we have sins forgiven on a daily basis b/c of Jesus being the ultimate sacrifice--the definition of the Christian belief in a nutshell). That is the only way that I (Deace) see it possible for him and the Dodgers to both get what they want."

I don't care for Deace at times, but this comment should not have been taken out of context, IMO. He stated a fact. He did not press his own beliefs, IMO, but rather stated a fact of the Christian belief. Does this make sense? It's kind of hard to throw out there on the message board, but I hope this helps. Interestingly enough, no callers commented on his statement.
        The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

I think you've got it right PTTB -

I thought Deace had said, "the only way for Green and the Dodgers to both get what they want." Then he went off on his little commentary about a Christian belief. He didn't push that belief, he just stated that would be the only way for both sides to get what they want last weekend.

I think you've got it right PTTB. That's the way I heard it too.
          "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone
            I was listening to the live broadcast when that comment came over the airwaves. I think the thing that you have to listen for is that he said

"the only way possible for both sides to get what they want (i.e.- Shawn to play and observe sacred holiday/sabbath/atonement for sins) is for Shawn to accept Jesus Christ as his Savior for his sins and receive daily atonement (instead of Jewish rituals--i.e.-because of Jesus there is no need for ritualistic atonement of sins, but rather we have sins forgiven on a daily basis b/c of Jesus being the ultimate sacrifice--the definition of the Christian belief in a nutshell). That is the only way that I (Deace) see it possible for him and the Dodgers to both get what they want."

I don't care for Deace at times, but this comment should not have been taken out of context, IMO. He stated a fact. He did not press his own beliefs, IMO, but rather stated a fact of the Christian belief. Does this make sense? It's kind of hard to throw out there on the message board, but I hope this helps. Interestingly enough, no callers commented on his statement.
            Thanks for the clarification P to the B.

However factual his (Deace) statement was, he didn't need to say it on the air on a sports talk radio show. The media tends to take things out of context when quoting players,coaches, etc and when media personalities express their opinions on the air those can get taken out of context in the same manner. Deace should not have said this comment because of how offensive they were when taken out of context. I heard the replay on Cotlar's show the next day and as a person of the Jewish faith, Cotlar was offended and believed Deace shouldn't have said it. Maybe the initial opinion I received was slanted, but this comment really put me over the edge for the Deace hatred factor. He should go back to Michigan. At this point, I would rather listen to "Tommy from Des Moines" than Steve Deace.

Comment

Here is a follow-up by the Register. I think that Deace will shoot his mouth off bad enough one day and be fired. When that day comes, I will be a happy man.

Deace, Jewish leader will meet off the air

By SHIRLEY RAGSDALE
              REGISTER RELIGION EDITOR
              September 29, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              There will be no on-air theological debate between sports talk radio personality Steve Deace and Des Moines Jewish representatives.

Instead, Deace and Mark Finkelstein, director of community relations for the Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines, will chat off the air, said Joel McCrea, Clear Channel radio vice president and market manager.

"I'm not going to dignify this guy" by going on the air with him, Finkelstein said.

On his afternoon show last week on KXNO-AM (1460), Deace suggested that if Los Angeles Dodger Shawn Green converted to Christianity and recognized Jesus Christ as his Messiah, then the player wouldn't have to fret over whether to play on Yom Kippur, one of the holiest days of the Jewish year.

The comments generated protest inside and outside the Jewish community, and Deace's bosses suggested equal time be given to Jewish leaders. Finkelstein declined the offer Tuesday.

Rabbi David Kaufman of Temple B'nai Jeshurun called Larry Cotlar's KXNO morning show for "about 30 seconds."

"I said I thought Steve was disrespectful of Judaism and didn't understand the Jewish view of Christian scripture," Kaufman said. "Deace has a right to his views, but I don't like them.

"If there were going to be a debate, it should have been about how people of faith sustain their beliefs and practices in a secular society, not a debate on theology."

Finkelstein, Kaufman, Rabbi Baruch Halevi and Rabbi Aaron Schwarzbaum signed a letter that was sent to Clear Channel Tuesday, asking that Clear Channel publicly "indicate their disagreement with (Deace's) sentiments or at least with their being aired on his sports talk show."

McCrea said the station has no policies or guidelines regarding its employees' commentary.

"We just take them as they come," McCrea said. "When you do talk radio, you stick your chin out there for people to take a swipe at."

Comment

Originally posted by Reed Rothchild
                However factual his (Deace) statement was, he didn't need to say it on the air on a sports talk radio show. Deace should not have said this comment because of how offensive they were when taken out of context.
                Reed, you're wrong.

Bible-believing Christians (I am one) recognize that one of our most solemn duties on this earth is to stand up for the truth. One of the most important truths that exists (maybe THE most important) is that one can only find eternal life in heaven by receiving Jesus as personal Savior.

Does that offend a lot of people? Heck yes. Do I care? No. Should I care? Heck no. A Christian isn't called to be popular among the masses, living in a way that the ''audience of the millions'' would have him live. The Christian is called to live for an audience of One. In other words, what matters is what God thinks about our words and actions.

That's not to say that we should not try to be winsome in the way we live and in the words we say -- we certainly should try to be winsome. However, there comes a point when political correctness, tolerance, and people-pleasing pale in comparison to truth that changes lives for eternity.

Comment

And since when did it become a crime for a person to push his own beliefs??? Isn't that what we all do on message boards??? Isn't that what all radio personalities do???

Of course it is.

Now, a common response to what I just said is, ''Yeah, but a person should keep his religious beliefs to himself, because they're personal.''

Baloney.

I have two comments to make about that:

(1) If you don't want to listen, turn the radio dial. No one is forcing you to listen.

(2) What kind of a screwed-up society are we living in if only surface-level opinions are fair game to share? I love sports as much as anybody, but it's far more important that a person be honest about where he stands with God than about how he thinks the Panthers and the Hawkeyes are going to do in their next game.

I give Steve Deace a lot of credit for doing what is right, even when it isn't popular. He reminds me a bit of George W. Bush in that regard.

Comment

I agree with Jonny Rogers that Deace expressing his views on religion is not a reason to stop listening to him. There are many other reasons to not listen to Deace.

I personnaly stopped listening to Deace a few years ago, for views that he expressed other than religion.

Comment

With Deace going to Iowa, ISU, and Drake for basketball media days, maybe the PN can send in enough emails to get him to go to UNI for media day. That would be great to get to hear Mac and the rest of the team being interviewed and really help build some interest for UNI MBB.
                      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

I agree...

Here is Deace's e-mail address:

[email protected]

SEND SEND SEND!!!

GO PANTHERS!!!
                        "10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is how you react to what happens."

Comment

Deace mentioned this afternoon that they will not be covering UNI media day since it is on Nov. 2nd, which happens to be election day. He did say that UNI basketball deserves some coverage and that they would be getting some coverage this seaon on KXNO. Not sure what that will amount to.

Comment

How did that topic come about on his show?

Comment

He was at the Iowa State media today. He mentioned that this would be the last of their live broadcasts from covering Drake, Iowa, and Iowa State. He said they would not be able to do UNI because of election day on Nov. 2nd.

Why did we schedule media day on Nov. 2nd anyway? Coverage will be sparse on T.V. and in the newspaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X