WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther Marching Band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's so much I want to add, but will keep it shorter as this topic has been beaten to death over the last decade and there's always some bandy that joins the board, or comes out of hiding for the first time in years, to defend the band

The band at UNI has to be better. From quality, to song selection, to better shows, to an in game understanding of when/what to play, to being willing to work with the athletic department. The absolute horror stories I've heard about trying to work with the band are frightening. They've threatened to pull the band multiple times rather than compromise. To that I say go for it. There is not a single band in the nation - outside of HBCU's - that get the kind of premium seating our does. There isn't a band - outside of the HBCUs - that gets to dictate to the athletic department like UNI's has.

For the size and amount of time the band puts it, it should be infinitely better than it is. Brett nailed it with how slow, sloppy and boring their shows are. Adopt the B10 marching band style. Get some movement, or at least make the movement snappy and sharp. Being instep doesn't exist for the PMB, It's not crisp in movements. For as much as they practice it needs to be better.

In game they need a ton of work. As has been mentioned they are backwards on which team to play loud and long for. Don't play at all when UNI is on offense. Period. Start there and eventually work your way into figuring out when to play. When the other team has the ball play as loud and as long as possible. Force the officials to throw a flag for a warning on it.

I remember multiple times, when I was a student, that UNI's coaches and players would turn around and scream at the band (words that aren't allowed many places outside of the football field) because they'd be playing as loud as they could when UNI had the ball with less than 10 seconds on the play clock.

The band director, and entire program, has always thought Saturday's are about them. Fans are there to see them. The game is just something between songs and shows. That needs to change.

If they won't work with the AD and compromise, let them walk and blast the hell out of the sound system. Put the same ultimatum on the pep band for playing early in the season - every home game. If they can't do that, they don't get to go to St. Louis, or NCAAs. They don't want to be part of the gameday experience? Fine. Don't be a part of the experience elsewhere.
    "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
      In game they need a ton of work. As has been mentioned they are backwards on which team to play loud and long for. Don't play at all when UNI is on offense. Period. Start there and eventually work your way into figuring out when to play. When the other team has the ball play as loud and as long as possible. Force the officials to throw a flag for a warning on it.
      I wouldn't mind a short fanfare of sorts after a first down (though I could live without it. the standard PA announcement is plenty), and of course playing after a score. But yeah, not playing during the rest of UNI's offense would be ideal.

As for on defense: I can't remember what game I was watching last week (some P5 teams), but the home stadium had piped in sound over the PA (including that annoying storm siren sound) blaring all the way up pretty much to the snap, even when the playclock was under 5. I can't believe they were allowed to do that. Of course, the fans themselves were loud too, so perhaps the piped in sounds weren't as noticable to the officials on the field.

Comment

You’ll find most schools drown their band out with PA music and sirens at this point.

I go to at at least one game at NDSU every year for a long weekend with close friends of mine. NDSUs band doesn’t exist outside of pregame and half time. Sure, theybolay during the game but piped in music, the PA guy and sound effects are played over it. The band also knows they don’t have any say over when they are done. They follow orders and are actually done earlier than “required” to make sure everything else is smooth.

NDSU hatred aside, I encourage everyone to find a non-UNI game to go to up there. The way they run game day ops is nuts.
        "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
        -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          I wouldn't mind a short fanfare of sorts after a first down (though I could live without it. the standard PA announcement is plenty), and of course playing after a score. But yeah, not playing during the rest of UNI's offense would be ideal.

As for on defense: I can't remember what game I was watching last week (some P5 teams), but the home stadium had piped in sound over the PA (including that annoying storm siren sound) blaring all the way up pretty much to the snap, even when the playclock was under 5. I can't believe they were allowed to do that. Of course, the fans themselves were loud too, so perhaps the piped in sounds weren't as noticable to the officials on the field.
          You only have to look as far south as Iowa City. They blast music out of the south speakers into that new vertical north endzone right up to the snap. The fact we aren't doing the same thing when playing in a big concrete and metal bowl is crazy. There isn't a ref on the planet that is going to throw a flag on that, nobody is picking that battle.
          #MACtion

Comment

Hey change is hard as evidenced by the decade of no action...
            If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Are we judging all of our sports teams solely on how they compare to Iowa, ISU and Ohio State? How does the band compare to other MVC schools?

I would venture to guess the gulf in the difference between funding, resources, etc for our band compared to bands in the P5 is similar to that of our athletics teams if not more pronounced.

As for gameday ops, you gotta have fan participation for those tricks to work. As long as our fans are sitting on their hands, the music isn't going to make much of a difference.
              Last edited by UNIGrainer; 10-24-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Say what ever you want,,, at least UNI Marching Band is 110% better than WIU. WIU has about 100 participants. Beyond terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                  Say what ever you want,,, at least UNI Marching Band is 110% better than WIU. WIU has about 100 participants. Beyond terrible.
                  are you saying that it is terrible that there are only 100 of them, or do they play terribly as well?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                    are you saying that it is terrible that there are only 100 of them, or do they play terribly as well?
                    both. But that's just my opinion. I have zero background in music.

Comment

if a band plays terribly, I'd rather there be fewer of them than more. Because in that case, the greater size just means more terrible-ness.

Comment

Working...
                      X