WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther Marching Band

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HI54UNI View Post
    Another band mom told us we were cheering too loudly.
    should have responded by complaining that her kid was playing too much when UNI was on offense.

Comment

I had season tickets behind the band for 3 years - would never do that again. Everything people have mentioned about the parents is true. Such annoying people.
      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
      Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
      - George Halas

Comment

I've said it before the band needed adjustments made as they seemed to think they were the focus of the day. That said I have to give them credit for the changes this year. They've been better about when they play, they have provided energy to the place when it has had none, and the music has been better. I'm not going to pick on precision given the model used at UNI requiring participation. I'd rather have the larger band that was not perfect than 40 kids that really wanted to be there. What needs to happen is something to drive engagement from the students to keep them at the games.
        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
          None of this explains why the band has dozens of people out of step, behind on movement, flag girls a solid w counts behind or ahead, or not understanding situational playing.

Your last point is also dead ass wrong .The bad issue has been discussed on here going back over a decade - also known as a time we were a winning program .
          1. It does when I stated some are more interested in being in a band than being in a good band. Also the differences in types of bands explains why they are different. Also a straight line has been difficult for them for many years. See first comment about being in band as opposed to being in a good band.

2. Disagree. Band debate started when program started to cause issues. Don't recall much *****ing on here prior to 2007 or so. Maybe I am dead ass wrong, but our football issues have nothing to do with the fricking band. I watched the replay of the LSU-TAMU game tonight and one of the bands played the same string between every play. Very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
            I had season tickets behind the band for 3 years - would never do that again. Everything people have mentioned about the parents is true. Such annoying people.
            I don't watch much of the band so don't have much to speak to the quality of the band myself. However, I have to address this comment as my experience has been quite the opposite.
            We've had tickets 4-5 rows directly behind the band for nearly 10 years. We come late, missing pregame and often the kickoff (miss the band) and go to the McLeod during every halftime (miss the band). We are very loud and proud. My brother, a friend or two/three and I stand for most 3rd downs and other pivotal moments. Those around us have become friends, even sharing gifts for newborns and holidays. Never once has anyone around us made a deal of it.
            Last edited by FOTY; 11-27-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post

I don't watch much of the band so don't have much to speak to the quality of the band myself. However, I have to address this comment as my experience has been quite the opposite.
              We've had tickets 4-5 rows directly behind the band for nearly 10 years. We come late, missing pregame and often the kickoff (miss the band) and go to the McLeod during every halftime (miss the band). We are very loud and proud. My brother, a friend or two/three and I stand for most 3rd downs and other pivotal moments. Those around us have become friends, even sharing gifts for newborns and holidays. Never once has anyone around us made a deal of it.
              It's entirely possible we have had different experiences, of course. It was not enjoyable for us, and we ended up moving to the west side as a result. Wish we were as lucky as you.
              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
              - George Halas

Comment

I worked in the ticket office for a few years.

I can say I remember quite a few people having poor experienced with band parents over in that area and wanting to move their seats

Not everyone does, and not every band parent is an issue
                GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HI54UNI View Post
                  Better keep the band playing or attendance will drop another 500 from all the band parents that only come to watch their kids play in the band. We had season tickets by some band parents for a year. Never again. Thought my wife was going to get into fisticuffs with a band mom at a game once because my wife was "in her way" to take pictures of her band playing kid with a telephoto lens that was as big as any reporter would have. Another band mom told us we were cheering too loudly.
                  I was told I was cheering too loudly multiple times when my buddy and I sat by the band parents. Several sets of them complained and I told them I wasn't going to stop showing support for our players....I remember one game one parent was crocheting behind me complaining I was standing up and cheering. If you're crocheting, why does it matter what I'm doing? However, halftime was a different story. Camera out and the world stopped turning for the performance. For real....I wish I made this up.

My buddy and I moved to the opposite side....a couple seasons ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X