WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI Sells Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Sells Alcohol

https://unipanthers.com/news/2019/9/...all-games.aspx

Holy Cow!!

Big. Big. Move.

And the right one, in my opinion. Already seeing pots on social media of "Hey, look up the schedule - let's buy some tickets!"
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I predict this will go smoothly. Craft beers will be expensive enough that excess consumption will not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
        I predict this will go smoothly. Craft beers will be expensive enough that excess consumption will not be an issue.
        they'll have the standard mass-produced non-craft beers. I'm sure they'll be expensive too, but that doesn't stop some people from excess consumption (there are plenty of people who have more money than brainpower)

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
          Big. Big. Move.

And the right one, in my opinion. Already seeing pots on social media of "Hey, look up the schedule - let's buy some tickets!"
          Yup. Seeing people's interest piqued. Also, seeing more positive than negative.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post

Yup. Seeing people's interest piqued. Also, seeing more positive than negative.
            I am SHOCKED!

Comment

What they had for beer is fine, but maybe getting a few more for local breweries would be popular, not sure though.

Comment

I took a look at what they were selling and how much they were charging,and decided to pass. Not that the price was bad, just not much selection. I'd appreciate more variety in the beer instead of Busch Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Singlespeed Gable.

Comment

Originally posted by Waverly_Panther View Post
                  I took a look at what they were selling and how much they were charging,and decided to pass. Not that the price was bad, just not much selection. I'd appreciate more variety in the beer instead of Busch Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, and Singlespeed Gable.
                  they need more variety in soda selection too.

Comment

A lot of folks in our section...including Blue42...were enjoying some beers during the game. Fans seemed to really like it.

I thought the set up was very good. Very smooth.

Like selling beer in cans versus draws. Limits spillage and accidents in crowded fan sections.

​​​​​​Thought the selection was very good and they got the price point right.

Nice job by the athletic Dept and concessions.
                    ​​​
                    Last edited by Blue42; 09-08-2019, 09:48 AM.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                      A lot of folks in our section...including Blue42...were enjoying some beers during the game. Fans seemed to really like it.

I thought the set up was very good. Very smooth.

Like selling beer in cans versus draws. Limits spillage and accidents in crowded fan sections.

​​​​​​Thought the selection was very good and they got the price point right.

Nice job by the athletic Dept and concessions.
                      ​​​
                      I agree. This is the first week of sales. I am sure as the season continues on there will be slight adjustments. For example, selection may change based on popularity of sales. Starting up something new, selection is a guessing game. I thought it went well also.

Comment

Originally posted by Waverly_Panther View Post
                        We live in Iowa. Busch Light makes up ~90% of all alcohol consumed in this state. Bud Light and Coors light make up ~8%. The other 2% is heavily slanted towards Miller Light, Budweiser, Coors Banquet. Yes, in the Cedar Valley, CR/IC area and Des Moines there is a larger presence of craft drinkers, however, if a sporting event wants a catch all selection in the state of Iowa I'd say that they pretty well nailed it. They had the 3 big ones in Iowa, plus a local favorite that is named after a local "hero/celebrity" and happens to be the most popular style of beer in a Lager. I'd prefer a Cold Roses from Single speed - but I'm a sour guy....yes, I get the potential for jokes there. However, UNI probably isn't selling a ton of Cold Roses on game day inside the Dome. Same would go for most Exile Brewing Company beers, or Millstream beers. They are fantastic beer. However, price and unfamiliarity for most would lead to slower sales. I think the selection they went with works great. Maybe one or two others could be added over time, but in terms of inventory over head and what not I don't know they'd need too. Study after study has shown consumers, when given too many options, default to their comfort zone anyway, and again we live in Iowa. Busch Light, Bud Light and Coors Light are "home"

Going with cans is something I agree with others on as being the right call. Potential mess is much much less. Saves time in lines.

Saw more than a couple social media posts of the can with the field behind it. It seems to have gone over well. Didn't see any complaints on implementation of it.

Sounds like a kudos all around is warranted for the department and concessions people for the first week of it.
                        Last edited by clenz; 09-08-2019, 10:17 PM.
                        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Not necessarily alcohol related but something our section noticed on Saturday. Before the game was over - into the 2nd half - there was staff walking the aisles collecting garbage from people - making for a cleaner environment before the game ended and will hopefully result in a cleaner Dome moving forward.

Nice addition.
                          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
                            Not necessarily alcohol related but something our section noticed on Saturday. Before the game was over - into the 2nd half - there was staff walking the aisles collecting garbage from people - making for a cleaner environment before the game ended and will hopefully result in a cleaner Dome moving forward.

Nice addition.
                            I wish people picked up after themselves more. I'll give a pass to parents with young kids, as they have their hands full enough already. But for others.... c'mon man! how tough is it for you to take your own trash to the garbage can / recycling bin.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

I wish people picked up after themselves more. I'll give a pass to parents with young kids, as they have their hands full enough already. But for others.... c'mon man! how tough is it for you to take your own trash to the garbage can / recycling bin.
                              Campsite rule ... leave it in better condition than you found it. Applies to so many areas of life.
                              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                              X