WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"NCAA takes next step toward allowing all transfers to play immediately"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "NCAA takes next step toward allowing all transfers to play immediately"

From the article:

"Presently, athletes in all sports except football, basketball, baseball and men’s hockey can transfer and play immediately. The transfer guidelines in those sports that student-athletes must meet are as follows, and would be adopted by the money-making sports if approved:
    • Receive a transfer release from their previous school.
    • Leave their previous school academically eligible.
    • Maintain their academic progress at the new school.
    • Leave under no disciplinary suspension."
    This proposal is for a one-time transfer/play immediately and to begin next year.

Entire read:
    https://footballscoop.com/news/ncaa-...y-immediately/
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Do those 4 criteria apply to the other sports now? If they are going to do it, just make it consistent across all sports.

Also, how does number 3 work? You can't undo a transfer if the student has academic issues after he transfers to the new school.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post
      Do those 4 criteria apply to the other sports now? If they are going to do it, just make it consistent across all sports.

Also, how does number 3 work? You can't undo a transfer if the student has academic issues after he transfers to the new school.
      yes, I believe based on the quoted section that begins "presently, athletes in all sports except....", that those criteria presently apply to all sports except those listed.

As for #3, the NCAA could require that the athlete enroll in the proper classes/credits to "maintain academic progress" at their new school, and if they don't maintain that progress, they could lose a year of athletic eligibility. Granted, that might not really work when it is an athlete transferring with just one year of eligibility left (since it is quite possible that they will have already completed their final season by the time it has become apparent that they aren't maintaining academic progress, at least in fall sports like football), but it could be applied to other athletes.

Comment

Wonder how this will play out? I think it would negatively affect FCS programs that promise playing time "right away." It would put a dent in the plans of FCS coaches like KC Keeler (formerly Delaware, now Sam Houston State University) that seem to rely heavily on the transfer athlete.

Wonder what it would do in college basketball? That would be even more of a hot mess. Can Dana Ford or Prohm actually handle more transfers?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
          Wonder how this will play out? I think it would negatively affect FCS programs that promise playing time "right away." It would put a dent in the plans of FCS coaches like KC Keeler (formerly Delaware, now Sam Houston State University) that seem to rely heavily on the transfer athlete.
          It could lead to fewer FBS bench-riders transferring to FCS.
          And it might even lead to players that have FCS success being poached by FBS programs (kind of like how Vernon Adams got poached from EWU by Oregon a few years back. That was done via "grad transfer", but this rule change would make it even easier). Probably won't be super commonplace, but I could see it happening occasionally, and that could be a pretty big hit for an FCS team to lose their "star player"

Comment

This would definitely hurt FCS programs. I know a lot of players including my son who could have gone straight to another FBS program if this was the n play. The bottom line is these boys need to understand that if they do have dreams of having a chance to play at the next level you can’t do it if you’re not on the field. A lot of players that play on Sunday came from strong FCS programs

Comment

With a few exceptions, I can't see how these transfer rules do anything but help all programs. Players that leave, leave because they aren't playing. You could argue that a school loses a freshman from the bench that would have been a great junior, but for each of those their is a junior during somewhere that will transfer to your program.

The losers here will be:
              1. High school students. With more kids transferring and a limited amount of "initials", we'll see schools setting aside more spots for transfers and taking fewer freshman.

2. College players that convince themselves they'd be better off elsewhere. 57% of players that have entered the portal since October of 2018 haven't found another school. Most coaches cut players after they enter the transfer portal, meaning those kids are not only not playing, my aren't in school.

3. Programs that lie to their recruits. It gets a lot harder to hold onto kids you sold a bill of goods to if they have other options.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by CaliPanther View Post
                This would definitely hurt FCS programs. I know a lot of players including my son who could have gone straight to another FBS program if this was the n play. The bottom line is these boys need to understand that if they do have dreams of having a chance to play at the next level you can’t do it if you’re not on the field. A lot of players that play on Sunday came from strong FCS programs
                The character of a player that would leave his school, teammates and coaches behind for personal gain speaks volumes

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

The character of a player that would leave his school, teammates and coaches behind for personal gain speaks volumes
                  You're joking right? Kids can't make decisions for what is best for them because...LoYaLtY?

What about coaches who make promises they can't keep about playing time? What about when an athlete discovers that the school/program that ends up not being the right fit? C'mon man

Comment

I agree with Mudra. I agree with Mudra? Wait. Pardon me while I go sit down for a minute....

Read Luke’s comments about this season. (Can’t remember where I read them.)

Comment

does the same apply to coaches leaving a team/school to take a job elsewhere?
                      if not, then why the double standard?

Comment

Some of you seem to forget the reality of college athletics from the athlete's perspective. 90% of these guys are here for themselves before the program, team, school, etc (not saying they don't put value into it but THEY are their own TOP priority). They are playing because they enjoy it and for a very slim portion, they are trying to make the next level. Like CaliPanther said, you don't achieve those dreams by sitting on the bench.

Would I have been devasted and pissed if DJ had fled after his Junior year to tear it up at a P5 school? Absolutely. Would I have understood his decision? Heck yes.

Maybe it wasn't Mudras intention to lump most of these guys together, but if a kid makes a decision based on what they believe is best for THEIR future, then its not something I will fault them for. Saying that dimishes their character just sounds naive and crotchety

Comment

To make a blanket statement like that without knowing any back story speaks volumes of you. I just had a player get lied to by the head coach of a college to get him to sign his LOI and the next week the coach left. Where does that qualify? I have a lot of other examples including one I'm very close to but I don't believe in snitching on people.

Comment

Take your emotions out because college football is a business. Kids learn that everyday being lied to without having any ammo in the weapon to fire back. This at least makes it close to an even playing field.

Comment

Mudrafan is a grenade tosser. He will probably show back up on the board now that the MBB team laid an egg in STL.

Comment

Working...
                              X