WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI AD, head coaches and some staff take pay cuts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UNI AD, head coaches and some staff take pay cuts

    UNI AD, head coaches and some staff take pay cuts

    Dargan Southard

    Des Moines Register USA TODAY NETWORK

    CEDAR FALLS — Northern Iowa athletics director David Harris, as well as all Panthers head coaches, senior staff members and select staff members, will take upcoming pay cuts as part of ongoing financial tightening during the coronavirus pandemic. Harris and the head coaches of UNI’s five ticketed sports — Mark Farley (football), Ben Jacobson (men’s basketball), Tanya Warren (women’s basketball), Bobbi Petersen (volleyball) and Doug Schwab (wrestling) — will all take 10% salary reductions for May and June. UNI announced the decision Thursday.

    “I am proud to do my part and proud of our head coaches and staff members that have stepped up to help our department address these unprecedented circumstances,” Harris said in a school release. “Our priority is the welfare and success of our student-athletes, and these temporary and voluntary cuts help us align our fiscal reality with our departmental goals.”

    UNI is one of more than two dozen schools to announce some form of pay cut for athletics staffers, as universities nationwide look to mitigate financial damage caused by the COVID-19 outbreak.

  • #2
    10% for two months = 1.67% reduction in yearly pay.

    Nothing burger

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
      10% for two months = 1.67% reduction in yearly pay.

      Nothing burger
      Diminishing other people taking a pay cut...that's classic.

      Always easy when it's other people's money.
      ​​​​​
      Winning is more fun than losing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Blue, you’re one of the better PN posters, but you missed the mark here by a wide margin. If the cuts go far deeper next FY, try making your point again. In the meantime, consider the folks waiting in long lines at food banks to gain some perspective. 1.67%, as Trapped stated, is a nothing burger.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by English77 View Post
          Blue, you’re one of the better PN posters, but you missed the mark here by a wide margin. If the cuts go far deeper next FY, try making your point again. In the meantime, consider the folks waiting in long lines at food banks to gain some perspective. 1.67%, as Trapped stated, is a nothing burger.
          I didn't miss anything.

          What does people waiting in lines at food banks have to do with UNI coaching salaries.

          If UNI coaches took a bigger pay cut would that shorten food bank lines?

          They are mutually exclusive.

          They're dealing with a budget crunch. And they made a personal sacrifice. Respect it.

          And by the way...I do recall UNI coaches and athletes packing meals for the needy on MLK service day recently. That seemed pretty thoughtful to those in need. I'm sure you critics did the same.


          Winning is more fun than losing.

          Comment


          • #6
            To be honest, I've been waiting for Harris to follow the lead of Pollard. Here is a clip from a month ago:

            "According to a six-point plan, athletics director Jamie Pollard announced Wednesday a 'one-year, temporary pay reduction for athletics department coaches and certain staff. This comprehensive plan will reduce total payroll by more than $3 million,' Pollard wrote."

            Comment


            • #7
              “What does people waiting in lines at food banks have to do with UNI coaching salaries?”

              It’s a simple statement comparing relative levels of suffering.


              ”I'm sure you critics did the same.”

              You are correct.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                To be honest, I've been waiting for Harris to follow the lead of Pollard. Here is a clip from a month ago:
                "According to a six-point plan, athletics director Jamie Pollard announced Wednesday a 'one-year, temporary pay reduction for athletics department coaches and certain staff. This comprehensive plan will reduce total payroll by more than $3 million,' Pollard wrote."
                Harris announced the cuts for May and June, the last two months of the fiscal year. He's planning a budget for FY20-21 now. Given the negative financial situation surrounding COVID-19, don't be surprised to see salary reductions be included in the new budget.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Blue42 totally respect your opinion to disagree.

                  My perspective -as a business owner that has gone without pay for two months (and counting) to delay layoffs while our revenue is 45% of previous, a 1.67% sacrifice looks pretty good right now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I don't think this needs to be cast as a competition between the UNI coaches and staff and your average, every day citizen of the Cedar Valley.

                    What everyone is going through sucks; for some more than others. Personally I feel lucky and blessed to be in an essential field, and able to still draw a salary through still being able to work my regular number of hours per week. I have family and friends who are not nearly so lucky and blessed.

                    Good on the coaches, staff, and UNI for doing this, even if those salary reductions are but a pittance compared to business owners and other folks who have been laid off. I'm pretty sure that UNI and the coaching staffs aren't going to try and lord it over people or mock those less fortunate than them

                    It is not a p!ssing contest. I do not understand why it needs to be for some of you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It was good optics to come out with an announcement about head coach salary cuts. It needed to be done. And we probably haven't seen the end of them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                        Blue42 totally respect your opinion to disagree.

                        My perspective -as a business owner that has gone without pay for two months (and counting) to delay layoffs while our revenue is 45% of previous, a 1.67% sacrifice looks pretty good right now.
                        You're narrative is the same type of narrative that people use when Bezo's donates 45m or whatever it may be and people go "Yeah but based on wealth he didn't donate anything beyond a normal person donating like $50."

                        He didn't have to donate ****
                        These staff members didn't have to take a cut to help the budget - and will likely keep cuts going into next year

                        It's a bad look.

                        "Yeah, they lost money but I lost more so their loss doesn't matter"
                        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This is about 7 posts away from becoming another communism thread and I can't wait.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by clenz View Post

                            You're narrative is the same type of narrative that people use when Bezo's donates 45m or whatever it may be and people go "Yeah but based on wealth he didn't donate anything beyond a normal person donating like $50."

                            He didn't have to donate ****
                            These staff members didn't have to take a cut to help the budget - and will likely keep cuts going into next year

                            It's a bad look.

                            "Yeah, they lost money but I lost more so their loss doesn't matter"
                            They didn't have to take a pay cut. They didn't have to announce it. It's their money, they can do with it whatever they want (same with Bezos or whoever). Donate it, hookers & blow, whatever they want in private. It doesn't matter to me what they do.

                            But once they publicize an action, they hold themselves up to scrutiny. That's the deal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post

                              They didn't have to take a pay cut. They didn't have to announce it. It's their money, they can do with it whatever they want (same with Bezos or whoever). Donate it, hookers & blow, whatever they want in private. It doesn't matter to me what they do.

                              But once they publicize an action, they hold themselves up to scrutiny. That's the deal.


                              It matters a lot to the program. Their pay cuts go a lot farther than my $50 donation. And it sets the tone to encourage others to be generous too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X