WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. News ranks UNI second among regional public schools in the Midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. News ranks UNI second among regional public schools in the Midwest

"The University of Northern Iowa retained its second-place ranking among regional public universities in the Midwest on the 2021 list of U.S. News Best Colleges.

UNI is topped on the list by Missouri’s Truman State University, as it was last year. The number three spot is held by Grand Valley State University of Michigan. A total of 38 Midwest regional public universities are on the Top Public Schools list.

The rankings, released today by U.S. News & World Report, rate 1,572 American colleges and universities on 21 different lists."

Entire read:
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

UNI is again in the second spot among regional public universities (Midwest), according to U.S. News' 2022 rankings out today:

Comment

I'm still calling them Northeast Missouri State out of protest....
      #MACtion

Comment

Here's where the other Valley schools rank. Kind of gets easy to get lost in the weeds with all the different categories.

National Universities:
        UIC-97 (#42 Public)
        Drake-137
        Bradley-166
        Valpo-176
        Belmont-183
        Illinois State-219 (#112 Public)
        Southern Illinois-Carbondale-263 (#132 Public)
        Indiana State-331-440 (Group, not individually ranked)
        Missouri State-331-440

Regional Universities (Midwest):
        Evansville-5
        UNI-17 (#2 Public)

Regional Universities (South):
        Murray State-23 (#8 Public)

Bottom line, UNI's troubles aren't just athletic they're also academic at this point. We're in trouble, folks.
        #MACtion

Comment

How is Southern Illinois a national university when we are a regional?

Do you get to pick your category?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
            How is Southern Illinois a national university when we are a regional?

Do you get to pick your category?
            They have a law school.

Not offering anything post-masters is just a killer.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

They have a law school.

There is still an Ed.D out of COE.

Did UNI kill off the Doctorate of Industrial Technology? I know they wanted to pause to re-evaluate it a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

There is still an Ed.D out of COE.

Did UNI kill off the Doctorate of Industrial Technology? I know they wanted to pause to re-evaluate it a few years ago.
                Yes. That program was never rebooted.

You're right on the Ed D but that's it, that's the only one.

For comparison, Indiana State offers 13 doctoral level programs, Missouri State offers 7 including a Pharmacy program, SIU offers 34 plus a law school and Illinois State offers 18.

#MACtion

Comment

Iowa has:

Medicine
                  Dentistry
                  Engineering
                  Law
                  Nursing
                  Pharmacy
                  Public Health
                  Business
                  Education
                  Graduate College
                  University College
                  Liberal Arts and Sciences

ISU has:

Agriculture
                  Veterinary Medicine
                  Engineering
                  Design (Architecture)
                  Business
                  Human Sciences
                  Graduate College

UNI has:
                  Business (so does the other two)
                  Education (so does Iowa and it can be done at ISU)
                  Humanities, Arts & Sciences (see Liberal Arts and Sciences at the other two)
                  Social and Behavioral Sciences (see Liberal Arts and Sciences at the other two)
                  Graduate College (same as the other two)

We can't separate ourselves by program of study. So we just have to be better at something - through smaller class sizes, access to professors, etc. That's what sold it for me 25 years ago, but I'm not sure it's enough anymore, especially the way things are taught now with online options, lectures being recorded with slides available.

It's almost like we were set up to eventually fail. If the regents cared, they would give us something to be our own -- education makes the most sense. But they don't care, so here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
                    Iowa has:

Medicine
                    Dentistry
                    Engineering
                    Law
                    Nursing
                    Pharmacy
                    Public Health
                    Business
                    Education
                    Graduate College
                    University College

ISU has:

Agriculture
                    Veterinary Medicine
                    Engineering
                    Design (Architecture)
                    Business
                    Human Sciences
                    Graduate College

UNI has:
                    Business (so does the other two)
                    Education (so does Iowa and it can be done at ISU)
                    Humanities, Arts & Sciences (see Liberal Arts and Sciences at the other two)
                    Social and Behavioral Sciences (see Liberal Arts and Sciences at the other two)
                    Graduate College (same as the other two)

We can't separate ourselves by program of study. So we just have to be better at something - through smaller class sizes, access to professors, etc. That's what sold it for me 25 years ago, but I'm not sure it's enough anymore, especially the way things are taught now with online options, lectures being recorded with slides available.

It's almost like we were set up to eventually fail. If the regents cared, they would give us something to be our own -- education makes the most sense. But they don't care, so here we are.

This is pretty spot on. I was at UNI from 2003-2007. My best friends went to Iowa State and Iowa. My experience was much different from theirs with my access to my professors, my class sizes, etc.

But you're right in that now -- that's probably not nearly as much of a draw as it used to be. Zoom, online classes, just the overall change in how much people use text, email, etc. -- it's all so different.
                    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

This is pretty spot on. I was at UNI from 2003-2007. My best friends went to Iowa State and Iowa. My experience was much different from theirs with my access to my professors, my class sizes, etc.

But you're right in that now -- that's probably not nearly as much of a draw as it used to be. Zoom, online classes, just the overall change in how much people use text, email, etc. -- it's all so different.
                      When I was a GA at UNI (mid-'90s, Education), it was pointed out to us that we were GAs and not TAs ... that classes were taught by instructors (some tenure-track, some adjunct) but not graduate students.

I had known people who transferred out of other schools because once they got there, they found that they were taking classes not taught by the instructors listed but rather taught by 23- and 24-year-old TAs with no teaching experience.

That was very much in UNI's favor when I was an undergrad ('80s) as well.
                      Last edited by ronfitch; 09-19-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

They have a law school.

This.

UNI isn't different, academically, than it was 10 or 20 years ago. We've always been a regional, masters-level school. The quality of undergraduate education (and the admissions standards) are virtually identical to Iowa and ISU.

Where UNI is in trouble is that the current administration is entirely incapable of communicating our value proposition, which is very high, to prospective students. Technology matters, no question, but small classes, a compact but modern campus, and big school amenities with a small school feel, are still valuable propositions. UNI has no idea how to communicate that, however.

I think the lack of graduate programs matters for AD private fundraising, but less so for undergraduate recruitment.

Comment

A little pushback: UNI's "The Right Fit" promotional campaign addresses your concerns pretty well, and the administration sponsored the rebranding campaign (Right Cost. Right Education. Right Size.) The YouTube videos are very well done. Prospective students see them. Billboards reiterate the theme. (I admit I don't know how well the theme is pushed to HS guidance counselors.)

Comment

Working...
                          X