WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCFCourier: "Iowa regents consider plan to replace UNI-Dome fabric roof "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCFCourier: "Iowa regents consider plan to replace UNI-Dome fabric roof "

"More than 20 years after it was installed, the University of Northern Iowa is pushing plans to replace the UNI-Dome’s fabric roof.

The estimated $7 million to $8 million project was advanced by the Iowa Board of Regents’ property and facilities committee earlier this week, The Courier reported. Regents are expected to approve the plan at a meeting Wednesday."

Guess Cap'n Cat doesn't get an outdoor stadium any time soon.

Entire read:
    https://wcfcourier.com/news/state-an...8bd49e9b4.html
    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Mother of God, it's been 20 years. I still remember watching the old roof deflate out the windows of Bender.

Comment

hopefully this roof replacement process has fewer problems and issues than the last roof replacement process.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsbreaker View Post
        Mother of God, it's been 20 years. I still remember watching the old roof deflate out the windows of Bender.
        My dad could share some emotional, cool stories of when the very first Dome roof collapsed. Standing there with Stan Sheriff by his side watching it happen.

Anyways - yeah... can't believe it's been 20 years. That's almost scary how fast that went.
        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

We're really getting to the point where both buildings are showing their age. Need an influx of serious cash. Easier said than done but we've got good people working on it.
          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

My dad could share some emotional, cool stories of when the very first Dome roof collapsed. Standing there with Stan Sheriff by his side watching it happen.

Anyways - yeah... can't believe it's been 20 years. That's almost scary how fast that went.
            If it first collapsed about 20 years ago, Stan Sheriff was not there. He died in 1993.

Comment

Originally posted by Skej75 View Post

If it first collapsed about 20 years ago, Stan Sheriff was not there. He died in 1993.
              It collapsed multiple times. It actually collapsed the first time right after they inflated it for the first time.

The catastrophic one was 1994 that finally led them to replacing it.
              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                We're really getting to the point where both buildings are showing their age. Need an influx of serious cash. Easier said than done but we've got good people working on it.
                What is the second building. McLeod center?
                But for a 45 year old building the uni dome is is good condition. At least compared to sports facilities in Minneapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                  What is the second building. McLeod center?
                  But for a 45 year old building the uni dome is is good condition. At least compared to sports facilities in Minneapolis.
                  Yep. Both buildings need all audio/video capabilities redone and lighting updated. The Dome needs a full top to bottom overhaul. The McLeod Center still feels 'unfinished'.

It's incredibly expensive, of course, but it has to be on the not too far term plan.
                  #MACtion

Comment

I go to athletic events to watch the action itself, not stare at the scoreboard or video board.
                    Sure, upgrades would be nice, but I don't consider them mandatory.
                    And I'm not in the position to make a major donation toward capital improvements, so I'm not going to whine about it.

Comment

The McLeod is showing its age....?
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

It collapsed multiple times. It actually collapsed the first time right after they inflated it for the first time.

The catastrophic one was 1994 that finally led them to replacing it.
                        Within two weeks of inflating it for the first time - the day after the official “Inflation Party” and open house on 11/8/75 - a roof panel tore in a storm and an interruption of electrical power which led to a partial deflation. Holes were shot in the sagging roof to drain rainwater and take weight off the support cables. High winds came again a few days later and tore more panels. It was repaired and re-inflated by the end of the month.

And again in ‘77 due to a main fan failing.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

The McLeod is showing its age....?
                          It absolutely is. It's a 15 year old building that has had no major work done to it other than the suites on the west side, a cheap video board replacement and the forgotten ticket office.

Now it doesn't need the total overhaul the Dome does but getting into current day with lighting and audio/video presentation would make a huge difference. A ribbon board for ad revenue and live stats as well as the scorer's table for the same would be a nice move. I'd LOVE to see a hanging board too.

I'd also love to see a volleyball surface purchased. New lighting could also make it a more usable wrestling venue, with our current system being all or nothing, it's just flat too bright in there to create a wrestling atmosphere.

We've just got to keep raising dollars.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Skej75 View Post

I'm aware that Staff Sheriff died several, several years ago. I'm also very clear on the Dome history. Thanks to those that cleared this up on my behalf!
                            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

I gotta be honest, I haven't fully conditioned myself to realize that the 90s were more than 20 years ago.
                              I'm getting old

Comment

Working...
                              X