WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court rules against the NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court rules against the NCAA

This is huge.

"...the ruling essentially warned the NCAA that if any of its other rules capping compensation come before the court, they’ll be declared illegal as well. " - TheAthletic

“The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that ‘customers prefer’ to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a ‘love of the law.’ Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a ‘purer’ form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a ‘tradition’ of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a ‘spirit of amateurism’ in Hollywood.” - Justice Kavanaugh

It seems to me that if the NCAA wanted to hold to a noble-amateurism principle, then they should have done that. But EVERY other decision they make is made with priorities placed on maximizing $$$ for the NCAA and it's most wealthy institutions.

Yeah, if you're a big rich school, play all your games at home. Yeah, if you're a big rich school, go ahead and cheat on academics and we'll look the other way. Yeah, and we'll ignore the money you give your players, etc.

But players want pay for their 50 hrs a week work? No - no.

I'm not saying I like this ruling - I think that it will pretty quickly spell the end of college athletics.
    Last edited by sivert; 06-22-2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I'm not so sure it will spell the end of college athletics, but it certainly will demonstrate the start of significant change.

I think it's useful to remember the NCAA isn't anything except the embodiment of its most power members. It is, essentially, a private association formed to their own benefit. This faux-amateurism has been in their interests, to this point. It won't be, going forward.

I think the inevitable outcome will be a further division of college athletics. The big-money schools will form some new faction, either within the NCAA or outside, and they will become a de facto minor league, with pay and benefits only they can provide. The rest will stratify into differing levels based upon what they can, or cannot, offer student athletes. At many schools, including probably ours, the benefits are going to be relatively slight. At larger schools? I don't know. There isn't some large source of untapped resources out there to pay players, and most schools operate on very thin margins. At those schools (and perhaps all), the idea of Olympic Sports may soon become a relic of the past.

(It's always hard to know what to make of a concurring opinion. If that were the view of the whole Court, it would be in the opinion. As it is, we know we have at least one Justice ready to drop a hammer on the NCAA. If I'm advising the NCAA, I'm advising them they have a short window of time to make massive systemic change, or find themselves back before this court in a much worse position.)

Comment

The place where Title IX intersects this ruling is going to be fascinating. Athletic Departments are sure to argue that if they're a business, they don't have to keep programs that are an anchor to their bottom lines.

I have a feeling the biggest losers in this whole thing are your golfers, tennis players, swimmers, gymnasts and the like.
        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
          The place where Title IX intersects this ruling is going to be fascinating. Athletic Departments are sure to argue that if they're a business, they don't have to keep programs that are an anchor to their bottom lines.

I have a feeling the biggest losers in this whole thing are your golfers, tennis players, swimmers, gymnasts and the like.
          I was thinking this same thing. I remember an article about tOSU charting planes to fly its women's pistol team around the country to compete. I didn't even know universities offered pistol as part of an athletic department but to charter a plane to fly them around seemed insane. Those days will quickly come to an end when they no longer have to spend all the $$ coming in from football.

For the doubters in the crowd: https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/c-pistol/
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Since kids will now be getting paid is it more likely they may stay in school rather than take the first chance to go pro?

Comment

Not wanting to start a new thread...

The NCAA has opened the door for NIL.

Comment

Bowen Born gets it started: https://twitter.com/bowenborn13/stat...074142208?s=21

Comment

Working...
                X