WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim Nelson Leaving The Courier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Nelson Leaving The Courier

Nelly announced on Twitter this morning that he's accepted a job in Communications at Wartburg and will leave The Courier at the end of the month.

The Courier now employs zero sports writers and leaves us without a beat writer. I would assume Cole Bair becomes our basketball beat writer for a while as he's done some correspondent work with The Courier in the last few weeks.

Nelly was a great promoter of UNI in all sports and it's real tough to see him go. We've just lost another voice.
    #MACtion

Well I'm sure the AD marketing group will step up and ensure coverage of Panther athletics continues to get out to the fans.

If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

how long before the courier goes out off biz completely?
      subscriptions are way down (what's the point of reading "news" from a full day ago when you can hear about it on TV or the internet soon after it happens)
      they don't really have much of a staff (especially not in sports)
      they get fewer companies buying advertising (because of the declining subscriptions and companies can have more successful ads on TV, the internet, their own apps)
      paper/ink prices, and the cost of labor for printing and delivery (not to mention reporters and columnists) has gone up, I'm sure

Comment

Same story we are seeing all over the country

Print media thought they were bigger and better than they were. Refused to embrace social media until it was WAAAAY too late, and even in their attempts to embrace it they screw up it up completely
        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          how long before the courier goes out off biz completely?
          subscriptions are way down (what's the point of reading "news" from a full day ago when you can hear about it on TV or the internet soon after it happens)
          they don't really have much of a staff (especially not in sports)
          they get fewer companies buying advertising (because of the declining subscriptions and companies can have more successful ads on TV, the internet, their own apps)
          paper/ink prices, and the cost of labor for printing and delivery (not to mention reporters and columnists) has gone up, I'm sure
          One area the courier could provide relevant information to a population that is interested is in sports. There isn't a larger outlet that is going to cover things locally from UNI, Iowa, High School the way they could have. But as clenz said, they never could adjust their business model to embrace the "internet" age.
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

They were so worried about being in the 'newspaper business' that they failed to realize they were in the 'information business'.

Much like the railroads were so worried about being in the 'railroad business' that they failed to realize they were in the 'logistics business' and Sears was so worried about being in the 'catalogue business' that they failed to realize they were in the 'distribution business'.

Tons of really smart people that couldn't see past the ends of their noses.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              Nelly announced on Twitter this morning that he's accepted a job in Communications at Wartburg and will leave The Courier at the end of the month.
              Why is it that Wartburg can offer a job in communications, but our athletic dept doesn't seem to have such a position available

Comment

Originally posted by Purple member View Post

Why is it that Wartburg can offer a job in communications, but our athletic dept doesn't seem to have such a position available
                To be faaaaaaiiiiiirrrrrr...

The job is with the Wartburg Alumni Association.

However, our athletic communications job has been unfilled for months so...
                #MACtion

Comment

Didn't Mount Mercy just hired Josh Christensen for a similar position to the position that we need. I understand that they are private schools, but why can these small schools have this position but we can't?

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                    Didn't Mount Mercy just hired Josh Christensen for a similar position to the position that we need. I understand that they are private schools, but why can these small schools have this position but we can't?
                    He's been doing a lot of different jobs

Feelance for KWWL
                    He does multimedia for Mount Mercy but it doesn't seem to be an actual athletic department position as far as day to day work
                    He does HS sports for radio stations

He just accepted a position at KMRY, though no official date or official title from him was given. Though he'll still do his MMU and KWWL stuff. I'm guessing sports director
                    GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Hire Him.

Make him our John Walters that runs the social media stuff, does video production and does pxp. It's a simple solution.
                      #MACtion

Comment

Just looked

Sellers retired and sold the station to long time sports director Jim Ecker, who said he wants more sports focus since he is a sports guy.

Thus hiring Christiansen makes sense there.

Don't care. Hire him away from KMRY.
                        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Are there no more sports marketing interns? I mean that should be an option to have some sort of presence on social media.

Comment

With Nelly leaving, a lot of institutional knowledge, not only about UNI athletics, but the local high school scene will soon be out the door. I don't know how much longer these newspapers can hang on. The Gazette is printed in Des Moines and has a 9 pm deadline. I would guess the Courier's is similar if not earlier. Those of us that have online subscriptions won't be impacted, but we all know people that are loyal to print and are not very tech savvy. Many of those folks are among the most loyal subscribers to the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by crich1 View Post
                              The Gazette is printed in Des Moines and has a 9 pm deadline. I would guess the Courier's is similar if not earlier.
                              last I heard (which admittedly was years ago) was that the Courier was printed in CR; but if the Gazette is no longer printed in CR, I doubt the Courier is. Maybe it is printed in DSM too.

Comment

Working...
                              X