WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

  • You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the new agreement ($2.8 billion) affect UNI's future?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How does the new agreement ($2.8 billion) affect UNI's future?

    For those that know a lot more about this stuff than I do, how is the settlement recently reached going to impact UNI?

    In a landmark agreement that will transform the course of major college athletics, the NCAA has left behind its archaic rules and changed the way it's going to do business.
    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
    Victory for U-N-I!

    Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
    - George Halas

  • #2
    All non-revenues (golf, tennis, soccer, track) are gone from the athletic department by the end of the decade.

    MBB, WBB, VB, SB are going to have to pay players. Our pool would be around $3.8M to distribute to athletes (~20% of total budget). The DOE has not weighed in on how Title IX applies yet. Wrestling stays under the AD umbrella but, most likely, will be run like a well funded club sport.

    MBB is going to 15 scholarships, WBB to 17, VB to 20 and SB to 30. Those will be the limits but I doubt we fund that many plus the league could make it's own rules on that.

    Football will exist but there's a lot to shake out there with what levels are going to look like and what the rules about payments are going to be.

    #MACtion

    Comment


    • #3
      Great information - thank you!
      Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
      Victory for U-N-I!

      Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
      - George Halas

      Comment


      • #4
        Also: Was this an expected thing, and if so, do you think that played into the hiring of the new A.D. and how they might deal with it?
        Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
        Victory for U-N-I!

        Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
        - George Halas

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
          Also: Was this an expected thing, and if so, do you think that played into the hiring of the new A.D. and how they might deal with it?
          Bowlsby was still commissioner of the Big 12 when the suit was brought forward and I'm positive the sudden push to make sure we get facilities done is part of it. It's been simmering for a while.

          The big surprise was how much the P4 are kicking the financial repercussions to non P4 leagues. Those of us that are already have-nots are on the hook for ~60% of the $2.8B settlement.

          It's been professional sports for a long time but this just pulls it front and center.
          #MACtion

          Comment


          • #6
            So they are basically trying to destroy (or at least severely limit) smaller conferences' ability to compete with them, particularly in the NCAA tournament. Not sure how interested I'll be in college sports if this is where we're going.
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

            Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post
              So they are basically trying to destroy (or at least severely limit) smaller conferences' ability to compete with them, particularly in the NCAA tournament. Not sure how interested I'll be in college sports if this is where we're going.
              Yup. If I'm going to watch pro sports, I'm going to watch the top level.
              #MACtion

              Comment


              • #8
                Some other things I found interesting:

                1. There’s a cap on pay per school in this settlement. I think it’s around $20M per P5 school per year. No cap on NIL that I know of.

                2. There are several other lawsuits related to this topic still in play which could affect this settlement in the future. It seems the NCAA has a really bad position legally, so I’m guessing none of this will lessen the players future leverage.

                3. Jamie Pollard and others have said dropping several sports, the move to club, etc., will affect Iowa State (and Iowa) level schools as well. It’s not just the MVC level teams impacted.

                4. The NCAA has said they are trying to resist having the players become school employees.

                Comment


                • #9
                  "All non-revenues (golf, tennis, soccer, track) are gone from the athletic department by the end of the decade."

                  Aren't we now down to about the minimum needed to declare ourselves Division I?

                  If this affects others, like Iowa State, etc., will that goalpost be changed?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                    "All non-revenues (golf, tennis, soccer, track) are gone from the athletic department by the end of the decade."

                    Aren't we now down to about the minimum needed to declare ourselves Division I?

                    If this affects others, like Iowa State, etc., will that goalpost be changed?
                    Yes. They're going to change requirements. It's going to be funding based rather than number of sports based.

                    We'll still easily be Division I. We know we've got budget issues but there are probably 200 DI schools that are in way worse shape than we are.

                    ​​​​​
                    #MACtion

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                      Some other things I found interesting:

                      1. There’s a cap on pay per school in this settlement. I think it’s around $20M per P5 school per year. No cap on NIL that I know of.

                      2. There are several other lawsuits related to this topic still in play which could affect this settlement in the future. It seems the NCAA has a really bad position legally, so I’m guessing none of this will lessen the players future leverage.

                      3. Jamie Pollard and others have said dropping several sports, the move to club, etc., will affect Iowa State (and Iowa) level schools as well. It’s not just the MVC level teams impacted.

                      4. The NCAA has said they are trying to resist having the players become school employees.


                      Pollard also announced a few weeks ago the postponement of the new wrestling facility and the renovation of Hilton.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by UNIdad View Post



                        Pollard also announced a few weeks ago the postponement of the new wrestling facility and the renovation of Hilton.
                        I feel terrible for them after all they are only spending $200M on Cy-Town which includes $25M for paving and lighting. That $25M is multiple building projects at UNI.
                        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X