WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana

IS anybody going out to Missoula for the football game Labor Day weekend this year to support the football team? I just purchased my plane ticket and got a car and hotel. If your looking into going out I would look into flying into Spokane which is three hours away from Missoula area. Nice airport in Spokane area. Easy access to highway to Missoula.
    GO NORTHERN IOWA PANTHERS![SIZE="6"][/SIZE]

I won't rule out a trip until the day before, but not looking good.
    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Anyone ever attended a game in Missoula? Is Wa-Grizz a stadium where a visitor is highly recommended to set in the visitor section? Or, can one safely venture out for the best ticket not to be stuck in the end zone. Re-thinking the ticket situation as I recall the televised games in the past.

Comment

You can sit anywhere. I've been to 3 games there, UNI played in one of them. Outside of 2001 I've never heard of a visiting fan having an issue there, in fact I find them to be the most hospitable place I have attended a game.
        Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
          You can sit anywhere. I've been to 3 games there, UNI played in one of them. Outside of 2001 I've never heard of a visiting fan having an issue there, in fact I find them to be the most hospitable place I have attended a game.
          Great to hear! Thanks Traveling. I just remember stories of video tapes and snow balls and fists all being thrown in a single game.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post

Great to hear! Thanks Traveling. I just remember stories of video tapes and snow balls and fists all being thrown in a single game.
            As far as I know everyone who went for the last game had a blast and was treated well. If you would like to connect with knowledgable and friendly Griz friends, hit me up and I can make the connection for you.

Comment

My cousin went to/played in the Idaho band back in the day. When they went to Montana they'd have potatoes and things thrown at them by fans. That, and that the students literally rip out/destroyed their bleachers twice are the only things I know about the fan experience.

Comment

Appreciate that TP has been to games in Missoula a few times and I have not...but I am skeptical that the typical fan experience in Wash-Griz is that friendly.
                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                  Appreciate that TP has been to games in Missoula a few times and I have not...but I am skeptical that the typical fan experience in Wash-Griz is that friendly.
                  I sat in the visitor section for our playoff game. Maybe it was that we were never in the game, but I don't remember anyone saying a single word to a UNI fan. They also are notorious for buying visiting fans food and drinks all weekend. I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but I've never seen anyone there treated poorly, even when UNI wasn't involved. 2001 was a LONG time ago. A lot changes in 17 years.

I remember when going to Kinnick used to be fairly hostlie territory. I don't remember the last time anyone said a word to me at our games against Iowa or Iowa State. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen anymore, but I just think times have changed and people aren't as nasty to opposing fans.

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post

I sat in the visitor section for our playoff game. Maybe it was that we were never in the game, but I don't remember anyone saying a single word to a UNI fan. They also are notorious for buying visiting fans food and drinks all weekend. I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but I've never seen anyone there treated poorly, even when UNI wasn't involved. 2001 was a LONG time ago. A lot changes in 17 years.

I remember when going to Kinnick used to be fairly hostlie territory. I don't remember the last time anyone said a word to me at our games against Iowa or Iowa State. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen anymore, but I just think times have changed and people aren't as nasty to opposing fans.
                    It’s almost 95% who you know and their connections and being with them during hr tailgate as a “buffer”. Given who you - and I - know we can go to Missoula with literal zero issues and spend zero money. Others that don’t knkw the same people we do could have some issues. I don’t think you will - specifically soup based on how I would believe him to carry himself.

Montana, as a program, has fallen further than we have (somehow). Much like the UNI fan base that’s caused a lot of apathy and shifting of things. Having said that Hauk being back and it being the first game back under him and under the lights and who knows what gets run into.

NDSU is a trip that I love and make every year, and never for a UNI game. Why? I have a group up there that makes the trip amazing and I have zero issues as long as I’m around them. Also, for better or worse, I’m relatively “known” because of AGS so I’ve made a ton of connections that make the trip great. If I step away from that group though, bets are mostly off. I was in Fargo for the 2014 NDSU/Montana game with a massive group (probably 30 of us) - Montana and NDSU fans. The NDSU fans we were with kept the others away from being dicks. There was one moment on a Friday night I got to the restaurant we were eating at before the others and walked in warring a UNI windbreaker (mind you this is a Montana game) and instantly a group of 4 drunk dick heads wanted to square up on me. Thankfully one of the NDSU guys (that’s about 6’5 250) walked in about 20 seconds later and squashed it.

Point being it’s a crap shoot. Don’t be a dick and normally there’s not issues beyond basic heckling. At this point I can’t imagine Montana has much of that left.

Comment

Some of that is true, but I'm speaking more specifically to when we were in bars or restaurants without any Montana fans we knew, and we weren't with the Montana fans we knew while in the stadium. So there's always a % of people who are annoying, but I feel like Missoula is hospitable these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X