WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FCS Playoff and UNI vs FBS Records

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FCS Playoff and UNI vs FBS Records

Originally posted by Southeastiowacy. View Post
    Did not notice your post was from three years ago, the data I gave is updated. My point still stands, Iowa is an average team that really is winning a ton of games playing no one. Switch places with ISU and their win total drops like a rock.

Oh, I totally agree with you.

Wouldn't you think a team in the Big 10 would play Ohio State more than something like once in a six year period?

I read a stat recently that pointed out that Iowa is 12-5 in their last 17 games. Yes, they ran the table during the regular season last year, but lost at the end of the year (and the end of the previous year) whenever they played a team with a pulse.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
      Oh, I totally agree with you.

Wouldn't you think a team in the Big 10 would play Ohio State more than something like once in a six year period?

I read a stat recently that pointed out that Iowa is 12-5 in their last 17 games. Yes, they ran the table during the regular season last year, but lost at the end of the year (and the end of the previous year) whenever they played a team with a pulse.
      All true but at the end of the day, no one remembers who you beat for those wins, just that you won the games. Iowa has a really great deal, the BIG has great bowl tie ends, and the money to make sure they always have a decent program.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeastiowacy. View Post
        Did not notice your post was from three years ago, the data I gave is updated. My point still stands, Iowa is an average team that really is winning a ton of games playing no one. Switch places with ISU and their win total drops like a rock.
        I don't know about "dropping like a rock", but your point has some merit. The B1G West is weak, obviously. Iowa would also have issues with the style of some of the better teams ISU plays. Iowa would need to rack up 200 yards rushing to hang in a game with Baylor, as an example. It could happen, since those teams are defensively challenged, but Iowa would be at a disadvantage. It would be intersting to watch, given the contrast in schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
          I don't know about "dropping like a rock", but your point has some merit. The B1G West is weak, obviously. Iowa would also have issues with the style of some of the better teams ISU plays. Iowa would need to rack up 200 yards rushing to hang in a game with Baylor, as an example. It could happen, since those teams are defensively challenged, but Iowa would be at a disadvantage. It would be intersting to watch, given the contrast in schemes.
          When I said "drop like a rock" I meant their win total would go down on average 2 or 3 games a year. Iowa has not really faired well against spread teams in the past. And has really struggled with spread teams with talent. Oklahoma beat them up in their bowl game against the hoks a few years ago, and won easily. Iowa would try to play keep away, and grind it out. There are some good defenses in the Big 12, but its hard to have great numbers when the offense is scoring so quickly that the defense is right back on the field again. Its like fast break bb, when the team is flying up and down the floor it also means they are going to give more chances to the other team to score. I will say its a lot more enjoyable to watch a game like that then a 9-6 win against Penn St. a few years ago.

Comment

The GA Southern game was one of the best games I have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
            X